conniel7@q.com
Currently Being Moderated

Why can't I download Adobe Reader 9.3

Apr 27, 2010 9:11 AM

I'm having problems downloading Adobe Reader 9.3 and I need help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to conniel7@q.com

Maybe you can tell us what you've tried, where you are trying to download from, and what happens when you've tried.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2010 1:07 PM   in reply to conniel7@q.com

It's still tough to say what's going on from that description. If I were to take a wild guess, I'd say you are clicking on an icon that was on your computer when you bought it and that it's probably not Reader but a trial version of Acrobat that came bundled with the machine. Again, just a guess but since Reader doesn't require a "key" and Acrobat does...

If you need REader, go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO , select your operating system and choose download then follow the directions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2010 1:45 PM   in reply to conniel7@q.com

That happens from time to time.

Try downloading and installing the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301.

Run it and use it to remove all traces of Adobe Reader. Then try downloading the full installer of Reader from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3/enu/AdbeRdr930_en_US. exe and see how that works for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2010 10:10 PM   in reply to conniel7@q.com

On Vista and Windows 7 machines you must be an administrator-- please see my other "thread" in this forum about the two "layers" of administrator and how to see the "upper" administrator--don't know if this will help since you did not have the same error message, but hope it does!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 7:38 PM   in reply to conniel7@q.com

conniel7@q.com wrote:

I wrote down the error message. Maybe this can help you to help me.

Error 1402 could not open key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Window\Current\Version\Run\Optio nal Components\MSFS.

Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

If running as Administrator - as the preceeding post suggests - does not help, you may need to go into the registry and check.

Are you familiar with the registry editor?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 6:39 PM   in reply to conniel7@q.com

Hi Connie,

Sorry, I am not an expert.

I would try downloading and running Windows Installer Cleanup as others suggested.  I ran it successfully on my W7 machine, but it did not solve the problem of downloading Adobe Reader 9.3.

What did was detailed in my other thread (post): http://forums.adobe.com/thread/626379?tstart=30  (this should take you the post directly)

Please note that you must be logged in to your computer as an administrator or with administrator rights before taking the steps in that post.  After you complete the steps and log back in under the new (upper) administrator level, you may be able to load Reader 9.3 (it worked for me)

Hope this helps/works--  I don't have any other experience or advice (sorry).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 8:00 PM   in reply to conniel7@q.com

conniel7@q.com wrote:

I'm really hoping that Dell does not get the best of me.

If you get Dell involved, they will probably reinstall your OS from scratch, and you will lose everything that you had stored on that computer.  Best not go that way!

That 1402 error is either due to

• a registry permission conflict
    • and/or you are not running the install on a real Administrator account

Changing registry persmissions can be tricky (and even dangerous) for an inexperienced user, so I do not recommend it.

And if you cannot install Adobe Reader from an Administrator account (you may still get the 1402 or similar error), then the easiest solution for you is to use an alternate PDF reader. Search Google for 'free PDF reader', and you will find quite a few that can do the same as Adobe Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 6:11 AM   in reply to conniel7@q.com

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers