Skip navigation
tylan02
Currently Being Moderated

Remove Shadows w/PSE 8

Apr 27, 2010 10:58 PM

I need to remove shadows from an image.  Please help!!!!

Thanks in advance....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2010 4:57 AM   in reply to tylan02

There are many ways to remove shadows and it just depends on the particular case. For starters check some of the forum topics listed under MORE LIKE THIS and also try a forum search on "remove shadows" or similar.

If you have a special one you want fixed you can upload it to this forum or to www.pixentral.com (and supply us with the URL) so we can offer suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 12:57 PM   in reply to tylan02

You might try the Clone tool to replace the shadows with adjacent wall.  Since I don't know how familiar you are with PSE here's a brief tutorial.

So that you don't accidently clone onto the people you should first select the shadow. Then when you the clone the people are protected. Zoom way in to enlarge the shadows enough to work with. A good way to select the shadow is with the the Magic Wand tool. On the tools options bar check the Contiguous box. Click on a portion of the shadow to select it. If portions outside the shadow are also selected, delete the selection and lower the Tolerance (default 32) in the options bar and try again. In this example a Tolerance of 15 worked just fine. To add additional portions of shadow to the selection, hold down <Shift> and click them. In my example there are 2 segments of shadows and you can see them both seleted (marching ants).

shadow1.jpg

Now activate the Clone tool and on the options bar check the Aligned box. Choose a soft brush with a size a bit wider than the shadow. Alt-click the wall right next to the shadow. Then click on the shadow, replacing it with the wall. Repeat this with the next segment of the shadow. Another way, rather than doing the cloning piecemeal, is to initially Alt-click the wall at one end of the shadow and slowly drag the mouse along the shadow; the clone will follow the path of the mouse, as I did in this shot (I hid the selection so that you can better see the result):

shadow2.jpg

Depending on how well the cloning goes there might be a noticeable transition on what was the edge of the shadow. In the above picture you can see this.

To eliminate it,  delete the selection and again use the clone tool to clone over this. A selection is not needed in this case.

Here I did some of this additional cloning:

shadow3.jpg

Great picture, by the way!

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 4:32 AM   in reply to tylan02

Bernadette,

Were you at least able to select the shadow and use the Clone tool?

Exactly what steps did you do to do the save?  I have an old version of PSE so I don't know if things work differently in PSE8.

If you want, while you are learning the program, you can upload the original (you said you had cropped it) and I can make the changes for you.

Another thing...I noticed that some portions of your picture have "jaggies".  These are noticeable when I zoom in.  For example the top of the man's jacket and the lady's leg:

jaggies3 copy.jpg

Had you done any editing on your upload?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 6:02 AM   in reply to tylan02

OK, here it is.

I removed the shadows but also took the liberty of removing flash spots from the man's and woman's faces and darkened the left side of the man's face which was washed out by the flash. I wasn't sure if the light portion under her eyebrows was eyeshadow or flash, but if eyeshadow I can restore it if you want.

demario+parents.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 5:57 AM   in reply to tylan02

Regarding your problem saving the picture, you might want to open another forum topic titled "how do I save changes  in PSE8?". Like I said, I have PSE2 so the save process might  be different in your version.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 8:50 AM   in reply to tylan02

Back to eyeshadow:

demario+parents.jpg

The flash spots were easy to remove using the Clone tool. As I described earlier, use a Clone round brush size just large enough to cover the flash spot. Alt-click on a good area near the spot and then click over the spot.  Make sure to use a soft brush; a hard brush will look like you pasted on a circle!  If the cloned area looks too dark, you can undo the change and lower the Opacity value on the tools options bar and try the clone again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 4:26 AM   in reply to tylan02

I forgot to mention about removing the large flash on the side of the man's head. This could not easily be fixed by cloning. Instead I did this:

- added a blank layer

- used the Color Picker to set the Foreground color to a sample color from his forehead

- actvated the Brush tool and on the the options bar set Mode to Color, Opacity to 30%

- incrementally painted over the flash until the shade matched the rest of his face.

The reason for the blank layer is that I could delete it and start again if I didn't like the result.

You can also use a blank layer for cloning. In this case check the Use All Layers box on the options bar. Again, if you don't like the result you can delete the blank layer or use the Eraser to remove the clone.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 4:41 PM   in reply to tylan02

Bernadette,

I replied directly to your yahoo email address.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points