Skip navigation
MediaVeli
Currently Being Moderated

WMV File editing in Premiere Pro CS3

Apr 29, 2010 1:31 PM

Hi,

I know that trying to edit a wmv file is not a smart choice to start the editing process but i really have no choice. My client gave me a couple of wmv files that they recorded on "Live Meeting" to edit.

Here is my problems: Even though the files that my client provided me are very small size (one of them is 50 minutes and it's only 7MBs, and its frame rate is 4 per second) the quality is okay since it's only the video of presentation. When i try to edit and export a 18 minute video out of it, the file size becomes 3-4 times bigger with a much lower quality.

Is there a way or tool in Premiere or another software to be able to edit wmv file without sacrifising quality while keeping the file size small.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

Veli

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2010 1:40 PM   in reply to MediaVeli

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 2:48 PM   in reply to MediaVeli

Veli,

I strongly recommend converting the WMV's to DV-AVI Type II, and Importing and editing those. You will not regain the lost quality, but the process will be much easier.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 8:54 AM   in reply to MediaVeli

Google is your friend.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 9:02 AM   in reply to MediaVeli

I use DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, and it works fine. There is a newer version, but I have not upgraded my copies yet, so cannot comment on the new one. That program is shareware, but there are free converters available. Prism gets good recs., but since DMC works so well for me, I have not tried others and have zero direct comments on any.

This ARTICLE tells a little story of a recent foray into editing WMV's on my workstation. I knew better, but had to experience things for myself - duh!

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 9:22 AM   in reply to MediaVeli

Veli,

I feel your frustration, and beg to get material that has not been compressed. Having to work from an existing DVD is almost as bad, and DivX is far worse. I have a little demo piece to try and show the quality difference, to show what we will likely end up with. Often, this will spur them to actually look, or ask for something prior to the compression. Some just do not get it. Same for MP3 Audio.

I have had a few come back, saying that the output was just too bad, and THEN they found what had been asked for. Well, the time will be shorter the second time around, as most of the creative work has been done. Still, this will be a new edit.

Good luck, and I feel your pain,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points