Skip navigation
Derik75
Currently Being Moderated

PDF vs PDF/a

Apr 30, 2010 2:11 PM

Hello -

Is there a way to tell the difference between a PDF file and a PDF/a file? I could find no differences in the properties. Any help is appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2010 1:12 AM   in reply to Derik75

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to Derik75

Derik,

when opening a PDF/A in Acrobat 9, the viewer will automatically switch to PDF/A view (default behavior). This is determined by the GTS Key, besides some other entries, that is present in such PDFs. However, to be sure if the file is what it claims you have to run it through an analyze engine like Acrobat Preflight or other 3rd party products.

Regards,

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 2:22 AM   in reply to Derik75

Hellp Derik75

Thanks, Peter. I understand that PDF/a can archive metadata. We have software that exports as PDF/a and archives inputted index fields, and I am trying to check if those index fields are saved within the PDF. Should that be viewable under File -> Properties -> Additional Metadata?
    Object metadata can be viewed by selecting an object with the touchup tool selecting "Properties" with a right-click.
    You can also check out callas pdfaPilot 2 (www.callassoftware.com) and it's metadata browser. Here a webinar about metadata
    Regards,
    Peter

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points