Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lens Profiles - Search Online greyed out

May 1, 2010 9:34 AM

Hello,

I was looking for more lens profiles within Photoshop CS5 and I noticed that within the "Lens Correction" window under "Lens Profiles" the "Search Online" button is greyed out.  I am looking for more Canon lenses.

1. Why would this option be greyed out?

2. Where can I go to get more Canon Lens Profiles?

Thanks,

Dave.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2010 9:52 AM   in reply to Davizual

Davizual wrote:

2. Where can I go to get more Canon Lens Profiles?

Don't know about the on-line resources, but for this one you have three choices:

- Make your own

- Wait for someone else to make one for you

- Wait for Adobe to make one for you

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2010 11:00 PM   in reply to Davizual

When the Search Online button is grayout, it means PS lens correction plug-in could not figure out the camera make (lens mount) or the lens model from the input image EXIF metadata. It does not know what to search. Make sure your camera captures such metadata in the image.

-Simon

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 5:50 AM   in reply to simonsaith

Hi,

same problem here.

Unfortunately, my DSLR does not write the appropriate lens info into the EXIF header.

Is there another way to search the profile resources?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 8:29 AM   in reply to Davizual

I had a similar problem. I wanted to correct an HDR image from Photomatix. The original images are taken with a Canon EF 8-15 mm f/4L, and this lens is not yet among the installed lens profiles.

This is how I downloaded the lens profile, so that it can be applied to any picture:

I opened a copy of one of the original images taken with that lens. It's a raw image. The lens correction in Camera Raw doesn't have the "Search Online" I think, so I just "Open Image". Then Filter/Lens Correction. The Camera Make=Canon, Camera Model=Canon EOS 7D. At this point I "Search Online". The profile for EF8-15mm f/4L FISHEYE USM (raw) appeared. From the drop-down menu in the group box Lens Profiles I selected Save Online Profile Locally.

Now that the lens profile is stored locally, it can be applied to any picture, it seems.

If you don't have an image with the correct kind of EXIF, perhaps you can search for a sample photo in lens reviews on the net, and then follow this procedure after you find one.

Or maybe somebody has better suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 7:39 PM   in reply to Bent T.

Outside the Photoshop, you can also try to use the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lensprofile_creator.html to download the profiles that match your lens/camera manually.

-Simon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points