Skip navigation
Joey33
Currently Being Moderated

Cs4/Cs5 PS - Menu bar drives me nuts

May 2, 2010 7:33 AM

Is that possible to eliminate that gap between the top menu bar and the top screen edge?

It's very irritating that when I move my mouse to the top edge I cannot unfold menus with a click. I have to move the pointer down

a bit. It's like shooting ducks and hinders work.

I saw that in Cs4 trial  but hoped it would be brought back to normal in cs5 when finally I want to upgrade.

Hope I'm missing some settings...

Joey33

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2010 9:05 AM   in reply to Joey33

So when you hover the mouse over Edit or Image those words don't turn into a button to click on?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 9:08 AM   in reply to Joey33

It appears that you park the Ps menu bar at the top of your monitor and then access the menus by quickly moving the mouse to the top of the monitor screen where is stops. However, as you note the menu bar does not have focus at the very top.

I have two words: keyboard shortcuts. If you are accessing menu items with the mouse that extensively then you really do need to master some shortcuts. But I confess that I use a tablet pen that allows me to type keyboard shortcuts without releasing the pen. Admittedly harder to do with a mouse.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 2:35 PM   in reply to Joey33

Just to be sure I understand the issue. On a standard WIndows application you do not get this behavior (because menus appear much further away form the display edge)?

In order to maximize the vertical space available for documents (as opposed to UI), the Photoshop application frame combines the application menu and the "window move" area.

The top of the application frame is used for moving and not for menu items.

There are a few reasons for this, one being that this is necessary to designate this area as "move area" in order to get proper peek and shake functionality on Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 2:56 PM   in reply to Joey33

Thank you for the clarification. Yes - in full screen mode with UI, the active area for a menu could be extended to the display edge.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2010 5:41 AM   in reply to Jesper Storm Bache

I would enter a bug form, as this breaks previous behaviour. It goes against Fitts' law that explains that the target area has to be bigger with the distance, and the edge of a screen makes it endless, as it is the case on the mac side.

I seriously hope that it would be consider fixeable for a x.01 release!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points