Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Support Page

May 2, 2010 4:19 PM

I've had to show some help content to a partner today about AE CS5, and came across the official support page here: http://www.adobe.com/support/aftereffects/

So I started looking for a link to the official help page in the right navigation menu, which looks like where all important links are. Couldn't find it. Looked briefly everywhere else without noticing the small link at the bottom of the left column.

So as I didn't saw it, I came back to the main navigation menu to check if it was there but now. So I clicked on "additional help" button and finaly found it here.

Sorry but how can you say that the "Official" help is an "additional help". Sure i've missed the link in the left column, but it's so small that I hadn't seen it.

Seriously, how is it possible that the official support page doesn't have a link to the actual help files in it main navigation bar ? How can it be hidden under an "Additional help" button ?

I'm going to be really honest there. CS5 is a major release, and I'm very happy about it, but the help experience is disatrous. No toc in the official help, link hidden on the official support page. You would get rid of the official you couldn't do any better than that. And I'm not even talking about CHC not working properly.

I'm really angry at how it has become really difficult to access a precise information that you know where it is. That is not the level of quality I expect from a company like Adobe.

I know i've already complained in the former forum about the removal of the Toc without replacing it with any viable solution making a browsing experience bad, and for that I can understand that you want to hide it, but it's a big step backward from CS4. And that's a major letdown.

Seb

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2010 9:30 PM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

I have to agree with Sebastien.

The help client is only helpful if it actually helps to find the information we need and not only show us how much information there is out there.  That seems to be the focus of adobe help right now.  Of course it is useful to link to all the tutorials and ressources out there, but the manual is most often what is the first thing we want to see, and it should be super easy to access.

Thanks

Alex

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 9:37 PM   in reply to AlexCzet

Also very much agreeing with Sebastien here. The official help should be easy to find.

Joost van der Hoeven
    Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Pro
    ...................................................................... ....................
    [ A n i m o t i o n ]
    audio-visual design

[w] www.animotion.nl

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2010 11:34 PM   in reply to Animotion.nl

I too agree with all here.

While all the "online" features are great for "Extra or Additional" help. the main and initial help should be local and have a TOC, basically an online manual.

Joel

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2010 12:18 PM   in reply to jdhughen

A little background. The H&S pages for CS4 had a big,  prominently displayed Help button because the Help menu/F1 behavior of  most CS4 products took users to the H&S page instead of Help (After  Effects was an exception).

For CS5, the Help menu/F1 behavior of all CS5 products takes  users directly to Help (with the Help TOC open), so the need for  a big Help button is less critical. Not that we think the Help link is  any less important. In the new design, the heading of the first column  is "Getting Started and Help" in large font. A backup link is included  in the Additional Help panel. The change also  freed up room to highlight important community contributors.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 11:18 AM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

Thanks for your engagement on the CS5 Help experience. I’m on the Adobe Community Help team and wanted to clarify that Adobe Help, as the definitive reference for Adobe products, is a highly valued component of the overall Community Help offering, and is not endangered content. Try choosing Help (or F1) from any CS5 product and you’ll arrive on the Help homepage for your product, with direct access to Adobe Help and TOC. We are listening and appreciate your feedback.

The Community Help AIR application is an important offering for CS5. Much has changed since the prerelease version and will continue to evolve to offer features valued by users. Update to the latest version for new navigation and search options that allow you to search Adobe reference only, and access Help for additional Adobe products via Home button. http://www.adobe.com/support/chc/

(Preferences are saved across updates, so if you’ve set yours to Open Help in browser, please reset Accessibility Mode to “Open Community Help application” and give the new release a spin.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

Sebastien, regarding the problem with search: Can you confirm that this problem only occurs in the CHC, and not when you search from After Effects Help on the Web?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 1:24 PM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

The search "Adobe reference only" option in the CS5 Community Help app will confine results to just the Adobe product selected, and display content from Adobe Help only. I just checked it with After Effects, and results are confined to just AE Help. It can be toggled on and off to see results from the Adobe Community (including Adobe TV and Adobe Developer Connection), or just Adobe Help/reference. Its a really useful feature that came from CS4 user feedback. The Community Help AIR app search UI is intended to be a bit simpler to navigate than the web help, but that's a matter of preference of course.

ch_AE_search_adobe_ref.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 3:58 PM   in reply to Laura_Kersell

I think that what we are all talking about is that the official "help" needs to be prominent search result and then community websites are like the cherry on the pie.  Right now it feels like everything is sort of put on the same level.  When we search for a help card, we want just that.  If we want more, then great, but it feels like Adobe is trying really hard to show how connected they are to the plethora of content out there, but by doing that they are adding too much noise to the signal

Alex

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 8:31 PM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

For me it's real simple.

1. when I click on help or F1 , Help should open local first then all the new toys are available if you opt to use them. at the very lest it should remember how you left it setup or have prefs so you can set it open to open that way.

2. The TOC MUST be available on the left and remain available at all times regardless of what is displayed on the right.

It is the biggest PITA to try to use help the way it is now.  There is a reason the "old" paradigm of TOC on the left, content on the right has been around forever. It works, it's simple, and a more direct method to browse for what your looking for. It's not broken, why are you trying to fix it. If I want to go on-line and see all the other great things I can, but I want to start Local, TOC on the left, content on the right, then go from there.

Joel

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 10:49 AM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

Hi Sebastien,

Could you send us a screenshot of the Community Help app with the search results you are seeing? The latest version of the CHC is 3.2.0.610. On Mac go to: File>About Help, on Win: File>About Adobe Help. If you've been active with prerelease content and builds, you might also need to install a new product helpfile from the Community Help AIR application install page. www.adobe.com/support/chc. I'd really like to make sure your build is running properly, so the screenshot would also help.

Thanks,

Laura

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 2:39 PM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

Hi Sebastien,

Thanks for the screenshots. Here's what's happening;

1. AE help needs to be reinstalled from the Community Help AIR app install page: www.adobe.com/support/chc. Close/Quit Community Help app. On install page, select After Effects from the product drop down menu, then click Install Now. In the application installer dialog, click Open, then Run Now since you already have the latest version installed. This will update the installed CH app to include AE Help content.Add more products if you want following the same workflow. Click the home button and you should see the AE icon. The CHC home page gives you access to product help for all products installed on your system.

CH_air_app_home.jpg

2. The Bridge content you are looking for is in the Help system: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/creativesuite/cs/using/WSEC5DD830-699C-4ed b-9615-4E369166A440a.html

It may have been a search term issue. I tried searching on "tools menu in Bridge" and the top result was also the one above.

Bridge content is also indexed jointly with products like Photoshop, so you if you have Photoshop (or After Effects, etc.) selected as the product, returns will include Bridge topics (which is what the attached screenshot illustrates).

bridge_topic_search.jpg

If navigating to Bridge content, note that for CS5 it is organized under a Creative Suite heading on product help homepages.You can also find Creative Suite (and thus Bridge) topics from any of the product help home pages that ship with Bridge, such as Photoshop. Click on the Creative Suite link, just beneath "Using Photoshop" and you'll see an Adobe Bridge topic in the TOC.

AE_home_CS_title.jpg

3. The main reason the TOC isn't on every topic page is that we want the "Help TOC" to offer more than Adobe reference content. The homepage for CS5, and the Community Help AIR app, is a start in that direction, and will continue to evolve to offer navigation options that serve a diverse set of users and products. We've offered a new search panel in the Community Help AIR app that allows view of both content and results simultaneously, and lets users of products like Flash search across the upwards of 10 Adobe Help collections for their product. We use a range of user research methods to understand where users are struggling and try to respond to the majority use cases. We've chosen not to dominate the content experience with multiple persistent navigation systems.We understand you have a preferred method of navigation that works for you, and that you put high value on Adobe Help, which is also appreciated.

FYI for the sake of others reading: The Adobe Help TOC is not on every Help topic page, but can be accessed in these 4 ways:

-Help package title in breadcrumb

-Home link in breadcrumb

-Product title in banner

-CHC "Home" icon in app chrome

Hopefully this gives you a bit more context for the change.

Best regards,

-Laura

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 7:03 AM   in reply to Sébastien Périer
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

And yes I know I can access the toc from those 4 ways, i've already been told that. But nobody in the CHC team finds this frustrating, so I won't complain anymore, I promess. Maybe i'm the only guy in the village who doesn't like to go to a page, then jump back to the first page to go to another, then jump back again, then again and again and again.

http://forums.adobe.com/QUOTE

I hate it. It make no sense, and serves no purpose other than to muddy the

water and force a lot of other content on you that you aren't initially

looking for. You should be able to get straight-up help/TOC like we've been

able to do since forever and then if WE desire go to the other stuff.

Joel

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 10:18 AM   in reply to jdhughen

What I don't understand is why this is so complicated.  Help should be simple, if not it is not help.

It feels like you guys are just bloating the whole thing to an extreme, but you won't see that you are making things worse, instead you are blaming users for not "getting it".

It is kind of like the whole installer disaster in CS4.  Instead of keeping things simple you just made it the most complex installer in the history of installers, and then tried to make people understand how it was necessary.

Help is something that should be helpful, and not require all kinds of additional steps to get to the info you need

Alex

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2010 11:34 AM   in reply to jdhughen

Op 6 mei 2010, om 15:57 heeft jdhughen het volgende geschreven:

I hate it. It make no sense, and seves no purpose other than to muddy the

water and force a lot of other content on you that you aren't initionaly

looking for. You should be able to get straight-up help/TOC like we've been

able to do since forever and then if WE desire go to the other stuff.

Joel

Amen to this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 3:12 PM   in reply to Laura_Kersell

Dear Mrs. Kersell.

the majority of Adobes problem with satisfying user experience is lacking objectivity on their own products.

Doesn't matter if its the layout and usability of a community forum, a employees blog or even the software itself. Disappointing if you think about it that you guys are creators and designers of DESIGN SOFTWARE not taking the trivial thing serious?

Just if you like it, that doesn't mean that the rest of the world likes it too!

The Online Help System is bloatware now.

It does not have anything to do anymore with the logic of navigation.

Instead of discussing and explaining here, you could have used the time to fix what you've broke.

Not everyone wants to install additional tools and applications like (hot) AIR.

What most of you people at Adobe are forgetting is the fact that not everyone is working permanent on its own machine nor that people have instant administrative access at hose machines allowing them to install tool and apps.

Talking a little off topic for now, but that's one of the weakest parts working with software which is not "multi machine" capable as fire and forget whenever i would be able to carry all my settings and presets with me and install them with ease and without quirks in my workflow setting up everything from scratch everytime i'm opening Adobe software on alien machines.

However.

You're using simple HTML websites, no PHP, MYSQL or some complicated AJAX implementations, so whats the problem working with a frameset consisting two frames one for navigation and one loading content?

Where's the prob?

Look here http://documentation.apple.com/ it's not perfect and some functions need to be polished but it's absolutely the right direction of user friendliness.

At Adobe Online Help i'm lost after a few clicks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 4:02 PM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

Sebastien, that yellow box is mostly intended to address the person who arrived at a page through search (e.g., through Google) and ended up on a page for the wrong version.

If you close the box, it should stay closed, including for future sessions. If it doesn't that's a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 6:57 PM   in reply to Sébastien Périer

Sébastien Périer wrote:

"this box is relevant if you arrive on the help page from the web, but irrelevant when you arrive on the help from the menu of one of my installed software, and even more irrelevant when this same software launch another software specificaly designed for help."

Amen !!

Local help with constant TOC first !  then online if you want more.

Joel

Message was edited by: jdhughen

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 11:20 AM   in reply to Laura_Kersell

Dear Mrs. Kersell,

this Thread is NOT Answered.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...