Skip navigation
rajcold
Currently Being Moderated

Coldfusion 9 standard and enterprise edition

May 2, 2010 11:45 PM

Dear All,

I want to install ColdFusion 9 standard edition in my Windows 2008 Server R2.The website shows the free binary available is of enterprise edition.Where can I get the  free standard edition ?

Thanks in advance

-R

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2010 10:55 AM   in reply to rajcold

I don't believe you can get ColdFusion Standard edition for free.  Just use the Enterprise Edition, but refrain from using any of the features of the Enterprise Edition. I couldn't find a comparison of features for ColdFusion 9, but see the ColdFusion 8 edition comparison: http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/coldfusion8/editions/ 

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 11:01 AM   in reply to rajcold

All the editions are actually the same download.  It is really just the license (or lack of one) that determines what will be runing on your server.

Download a developer edition, insert an Enterprise license key three months from now and it is a Licensed Enterprise server.

Take a running Standard server, remove the license key, it is now a Developer licensed server, which has the Enterprise ability to make CAR (ColdFusion Archive) files.  A useful trick for migrating settings from one standard server to another.

I am not sure what your concerns are, but just download the developer or free trial version you wish to use and all should be good.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 11:46 AM   in reply to rajcold

I believe you can get the free 30 day trial for each version.  Which is acquired by just downloading the desired version and selecting 30 day trial during the installation.  After the 30 day trail, if you do not provide a valid license key, it will revert to the developer's edition.

But, in reality, the decision to choose between standard and enterprise can be largely done on paper.  The main difference between the two is features, not performance except for some of the more advanced but less commonly used features.  Unless you have need of multiple ColdFusion services installed on a single machine, native Oracle database driver, high throughput for <CFREPORT...> <CFDOCUMENT...> and other PDF features, gateways or other advanced features -- Standard is a fine server.

Message was edited by: Ian Skinner

These links may help

http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/editions

http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/pdfs/cf9_feature_comparison_m atrix_ue.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 7:50 AM   in reply to rajcold

It has been a long time since I have ever downloaded the trial, so I am only 80% to 90% confidant in this statement.

But I beleive the download is *ALL* version.  What version that gets installed is based on the choices made during the installation.  Wheter you provide a license key, what level license key, choose "developer" or "trial".

What are you trying to try out with Standard?  What are your concerns?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points