Skip navigation
capste
Currently Being Moderated

Adding Metadata to JPEG, EPS, PSD, TIFF

May 3, 2010 5:34 AM

Hi all,

I would like to know how if is possible to a read and write metadata (basically Caption and Kewords fields) to a different kind of files (EPS with JPEG compression, TIFF, JPEG, PSD...) WITHOUT opening them in Photoshop.

I need to manage all from Scripting, usually AS or AppleScript Studio.

At the moment I do this opening them, writing them and resaving them but I would like to know if a more faster and professional way exists.

I know exiftool but I would like to use Adobe routine or products.

Stefano

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2010 8:42 AM   in reply to capste

You can do this with javaScript in Bridge, as an example see..

http://ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2320

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 4:06 AM   in reply to capste

Stefano, I would have thought that 'exiftool' was the best solution for you by far. Never done it but if I recall correctly the developer allows for this to be included in your AppleScript Studio app? The problems that you are going to encounter with the Bridge option are No Access to the Application directly from AppleScript, Bridge is ONLY scriptable via Adobe's ExtendScript/JavaScript. Adobe's other Applications allow AppleScript to perform JavaScript so the ONLY way to communicate with Bridge is via one of these and the BridgeTalk messaging system. Although Bridge will alter the metadata without actually opening the file you will end up launching 2 App's if they are NOT already running. If you don't already know JavaScript then the learning curve for what's involved in this process is considerably more than that of the 'exiftool' man pages. Plus I would expect the performance of calling the shell from your app would blow the Adobe route out of the water… BTMO

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2010 7:09 AM   in reply to capste

Mark has covered most of the details. It all depends if you want the same metadata to be added to a particular type of file or custum metadata for each file. It may be possible to use Cron to schedule a run of a script. This may require a hot folder where the new documents are to be placed so that the metadata it updated and files moved to somewhere else. If it is the same data, Exiftool would be the best approach.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points