• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't create datasource to SQL Server

May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

I'm running ColdFusion 9 Trial Version (no hotfixes), SQL Express 2005, Windows XP SP3, IIS.

Using ColdFusion Administrator, when I try to create a datasource to SQLExpress 2005 (SQL Server Express), using the SQL Server driver, I get the following error:

Connection verification failed for data source: AMT
java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SQLServer JDBC Driver]The requested instance is either invalid or not running.
The root cause was that: java.sql.SQLException: [Macromedia][SQLServer JDBC Driver]The requested instance is either invalid or not running.

The "instance", which I take to mean the database instance, is "machinename\SQLExpress"  (This is a so-called "named instance".)  This is what I enter into the "Server" field of the form (Data & Services -> Datasources -> Microsoft SQL Server).

On the other hand, I am able to create an ODBC datasource name in Windows using the Microsoft SQL Server Native Client Version 09.00.3042 driver and using the same instance, "machinename\SQLExpress".

Does anybody have any ideas as to what's wrong?

TOPICS
Database access

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Try using the TCP/IP domain name (or IP address) & port instead of the Windows-styled connectivity info.  You might need to enable TCP/IP as a network protocol on the DB server though (I think it's off by default on SQL Express Ed).

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the TCP/IP domain name (or IP address) & port instead of the Windows-styled connectivity info.  You might need to enable TCP/IP as a network protocol on the DB server though (I think it's off by default on SQL Express Ed).

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you are right.  I had to enable TCP/IP.  I did not need to change the name of the server.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I solved the problem.  The error message said it might not be running.  I discovered that SQLExpress is not configured by default to accept TCP/IP connections.  Using the SQL Server Configuration Manager, I enabled TCP/IP.  Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2011 Oct 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the Man...Just the same issue..Just the same solution..Thanks a LOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things to check:

1. Are TCP/IP connections enabled for the SQL instance?

2. Is a firewall blocking the port SQL server is listening on?

3. Is SQL authentication enabled in SQL the instance?

See this blog entry, it may be helpful.

http://www.mattwoodward.com/blog/index.cfm?event=showEntry&entryId=01930619-FD0A-4F02-31B1BFC7D1D9A44C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2010 Oct 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing to try.  Make sure that SQL Server Browser service is running. You can find it through the Window Services panel.  I tried all other suggestions multiple times for hours to no avail.  As soon as I started this service, all worked great.  Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2013 Apr 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. After an all-nighter and much consternation, simply activating the SQL Server Browser service enabled me to get this working on Windows 8.

HUGE props and much thanks for taking the time to post your solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU ADAM!!!!

worked perfect!

you da man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation