Skip navigation
jdmf22
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader takes over my computer!

May 5, 2010 3:41 PM

I have Windows Vista 64 and my wife needs adobe reader for school but as soon as i install it Adobe Reader trys to open every program on the computer! I looked at my file associations and nothing says adobe. Every icon on the desktop changes to adobe (ie. the windows media player icon changes to the Adobe reader icon.) When i try to access anything it says Adobe cannot open. The only way to fix it is to restore to a point before adobe reader was installed. I've tried everything. PLEASE HELP!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2010 8:36 PM   in reply to jdmf22

Adobe Reader would cost much Memory resource if you fistly launch it. And it is slow to load PDF files. I have no good idea to make that problem. You can try Foxit reader, which is lighter than adobe reader, if the file is not that large, the loading speed would be fast.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 1:14 AM   in reply to jdmf22

I have seen this problem with Adobe Reader on Vista in this forum a couple of times.  Unfortunately no solution was ever found.  All I could do at the end was to recommend using an alternate PDF Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 5:41 AM   in reply to jdmf22

I am having this problem with Adobe Reader and Windows 7 as well.  I am seriously PO'ed.  From the numbers of people who are having the problem and lack of response from either Adobe or Microsoft to find a solution it makes me wonder if it isn't time to find alternatives.  I do have Acrobat installed & once I finally got it working after installing Windows 7 (there were conflicts there as well) it seems to be working fine and I can open my .pdf documents.  Now I just have to figure out how to set things up to so I can more easily open .pdf's in my browser(s).  If you are only using Reader I would suggest searching for one of the alternative programs.  There are some out there.  But no doubt about it, Reader 9 sucks, big time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 6:56 AM   in reply to jdmf22

Okay all - I have just determined that this is not a problem with Reader but is in fact the result of a (gasp!) virus that seems to have invaded our computers.  It changes all file associations to a .lnk extension.  I did know this when the problem first happened after updating to Adobe Reader 9.3.2 but I have uninstalled Reader completely and when I opened up this morning I saw all of my icons had changed to Internet Explorer, again all with that .lnk extension.  A google search took me to the following Microsoft site - http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistadesktopui/thre ad/e8631c28-4ce5-43cc-8865-b75fa2255b57 which contains a link to a file that will make the necessary change to the Registry.  I followed the procedure & rebooted and things are back to normal.  Note that there is a change to the Registry so you may want to back it up just to be safe, but so far I haven't had any problems.   I am also running a full virus scan, including spyware and adware.  Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 4:34 PM   in reply to jdmf22

Sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.  If you are able to open your web

browser (I assume you can do that) do a Google search on "viruses that

change Windows icons to .lnk" and you will find a number of responses.  This

is one of them -

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistadesktopui/thre ad/e8631c28-4ce5-43cc-8865-b75fa2255b57.

This is a Microsoft site and you can see there are a few options.  You may

need to contact Microsoft directly.  Hope this helps some, buddy.  Good

luck.  I'm still holding my breath as to whether or not my computer will

remain stable.  I told my wife last night that I am seriously considering

switching to Mac!!!  We bought a Mac for her a couple of years ago & she

loves it (no problems with it all).  I kept the Windows based machine

because, (a) I am familiar with it, and (b) it is more compatible with a lot

of the business software and files I used to be involved with.  As that is

not necessarily the case any longer, a switch may be in my future.  But in

the meantime I continue to try to tweak Windows to suit me & I continue to

try find solutions to the problems that inevitably occur.  Again good luck.

Let me know how you do.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points