Skip navigation
CJB666
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Flash Player 10 - repeated installations

May 6, 2010 3:02 AM

I have Win 7 (Starter) on a new Acer Aspire One 532. My main (and only) login id is for me which also has admin. privileges.

However I have to repeatedly install Flash Player 10 in order to view clips on YouTube, BBC and my own web site.

Once installed - via the Adobe Download Manager - all clips play OK. If I close the lid and the netbook hibernates, and then when I open it up again, all is well.

However if there is a Windows update, or if I do a restart / reboot, Flash Player gets 'uninstalled,' or maybe Win 7 just 'forgets' that it has been installed. Then I have to go through the whole download process to re-reinstall it until the next time.

Actually this is only for IE8.

I have tried downloading other versions for Opera, Safari, Chrome and Foxfire - and the installation(s) remain permanent.

Flash Player is the only application that exhibits this behaviour. But I do use it a lot. All other apps. once installed seem to remain available for use without fail.

So why is Flash Player with IE8 such a problem, and what can I do to 'fix' its installation once and for all?

Thank you - Chris Brady.

P.S. I have uninstalled McAfee because it was causing lots of problems. I now use MS Security Essentials.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2010 7:48 AM   in reply to CJB666

Hi, the first thing I would check is the Shockwave Flash Object. Using IE, go to manage add ons and be sure to use All add ons and find that. This is the ActiveX Control....Flash10e.ocx (version 10.0.45.2) and needs to be listed that way and Enabled. If it is not Enabled, then Enable it.

If that is already Enabled when you check it, then even though you aren't having any problem with your other browsers,

that does not mean all of your Flash files are correct.

Is your operating system a 64bit? I need this info since the location of your Flash files are not the same as a 32bit.

On McAfee, did you just remove it from Programs and Features or use the Removal Tool? It is very difficult to remove from a system since it invades files you probably don't even know you have:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 9:36 AM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, Thanks for the information. Just confirm that the add on in IE is "Shockwave Flash Object". You mentioned Shockwave Player, which also has an ActiveX Control, but it is not the one that is for Flash Player. 2 Different things.

Since IE8 is the browser you are having a problem with regarding Flash Player, I would like you to check your Flash Player files. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.  Right click on the Flash folder and post back all files listed. The files NPSWF32.dll and NPSWF32_flashUtil.exe are not IE, so you need to right click on each of those and then click on properties in order to obtain the version numbers.  Let's make sure your Flash Player files are correct.

Since you reinstalled the OS, what of Flash Player is now installed? Are you still having the problem with IE?

I don't agree with installing IE9, as that is not a solution. However, sometimes if you have tried to, and then try to install

FP 10, there is a problem. Let me know if you had IE9 on and then uninstalled it.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 8:59 PM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, the zipped folder of the Flash files did not post. However, it appears your problem with IE8 is the add on get_atlcom Class 1.6.2.63. I don't think you can remove/delete it with IE8. So, go to Programs and Features and see if DLM(download manager) and or getPlus is listed. Right click and remove both and then Reboot your computer.

Then using IE8, check and see if that get_atlcom has been removed from your add ons.

Flash Player 9 is not in beta, but you don't want to install it anyway, glad you didn't try that.

If you like, you can send a screenshot of your Flash files, but wait to see if the above solves your Flash Player/IE8 issue.

Let me know on the above.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 5:43 AM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, the screenshots didn't come through. Without knowing what files are in your Flash folder, it is hard to say what may be causing this. That get_atlcom comes with the install of Flash Player along with the use of the Download Manager.

If I were you I would use the Uninstaller here and download it to your Desktop:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Then download the Flash Player Installer for Internet Explorer to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash _player_ax.exe

Also download the Flash Player Installer for Firefox(and all other browsers) to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash _player.exe

Once you have those on your Desktop, then make sure any applications that use Flash(check you system tray) are disabled, have your IE Internet Options for security set to Medium, close all browsers and then use the Uninstaller. Reboot and when fully rebooted, Reboot(restart) again.

Then Run the Installer for IE and Reboot Once.

Then Run the Installer for Firefox(and other browsers) and Reboot Once.

You need to do this, since the Uninstaller will remove all Flash Player files from IE and all other browsers.

After the Installs are done, then check your IE for the Shockwave Flash Object vs Flash10e.ocx and enabled, check Firefox for the SWF vs 10.0.45.2 and enabled.

Check the websites and post back the results. If all is not working as it should be, then I'll need to know the Flash files that are listed in the Flash folder. You can just type them in your post.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 8:18 AM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, thanks. Your Flash files are all correct, both for IE and Firefox(and other browsers). Now before you Uninstall and Install again, check in the All add ons for IE for Shockwave Flash Object (not Shockwave Player) ActiveX Control...Flash10e.ocx(vs 10.0.45.2) and make sure it's enabled.

Using Firefox, look in plug-ins for the SWF version 10.0.45.2 and make sure it is listed and enabled.

If both the SFO for IE and the SWF for Firefox is as I have listed, then all Flash Player files and the 2 addons are correct and in my opinion there is no need to Uninstall/Install.

Post back as soon as you can.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 9:23 AM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, Well, it appears you have done everything correctly. For some reason the Shockwave Flash Object is being removed as you say after rebooting.

I would like you to go to Tools, click on Internet Options, click on Settings, click on View Objects. If you see a gp.ocx and or gp.inf listed, then right click and Remove them.

You can also do a Search and enter in the section "all or part of the file name" getplus, find the location  of any listings and remove them.

You had used the Download Manager and even tho you disabled the get_atlcom Class, there are also those 2 above files that may still be there.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 12:52 PM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, ok thanks. I don't have any of those listed in my View Objects. I don't use IE8, so when I go to View Objects I don't have anything as "browsing history". Mine is just Tools>Internet Options>Settings>View Objects. When you opened that last window "View Objects", did it say Downloaded Program Files? Also I have Java listed in View Objects.

Don't forget to use the Search function that I posted previously for getplus. Don't search for gp.ocx or gp.inf, just enter

getplus. Sometimes those two files are listed in view objects and sometimes they are not. So you need to find them elsewhere.

The reason I'm having you look for these is the fact that you used the Download Manager and these files are installed and even if you previously removed the DLM from programs and features the get_atlcom wasn't. These are capable of conflicting with the Shockwave Flash Object that you are having an issue with.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 1:07 PM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, With your next post, list all of your IE add ons. Be sure to check ALL add ons. I saw something in your view objects that may be the problem.  List version numbers if possible.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 7:52 AM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, thanks for searching. Sometimes when a problem exists and cannot be readily identified, we try to confirm what might be the cause. So we eliminate this or that.

Since you have the correct Flash files installed and had the correct add on for the Flash Player in IE, then we have to look at other possible issues.

Now, this would be adblocks/pop up blockers/other add ons, Anti-Virus/Firewall programs, etc.

You listed a "swflash.ocx" that was in your View Objects. This tells me that this is also listed in your IE add ons,is it?

That should not be there unless you installed a very old Flash Player version.

I don't think IE8 is your problem at this time. There are several other issues going on and we need to take care of those first, since it wouldn't matter what version of IE you are using.

1. Norton-Is this on your System? Did you use the Norton Removal Tool? Is there any Norton add on in IE?

2. The "swflash.ocx" that you found in the View Objects- Is this listed in your IE add ons?

3. What are your security settings for the Internet Zone?

4. McAfee- Did you use the McAfee Removal Tool?

I would not be concerned about MS and the .dlls of McAfee & Norton. There is a proper way to make sure these programs

are completely removed from your system and we need to make sure that has been done.

Please keep in mind the questions I ask are to address the problem of Shockwave Flash Object. The .dlls are not involved in my opinion since you had no problem installing the ActiveX Control, which does write to the Registry.

Until we can find out what is causing your problem with the SFO it would be best not to make any changes to your system.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 7:12 PM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, Something is conflicting with IE8. It is either an add on in IE or something of Norton. Did you install Norton after removing McAfee and before installing MSE? How did you Uninstall Norton?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 8:34 AM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, thanks again. The reason I mentioned Norton was because you did in Post#18. So now the SWO is listed? This is really a puzzle.

If you don't want to post all of your IE add ons, then what you could do is Disable all of them except the SWO. Then try those sites and if they work, then one of the add ons is conflicting. Then you would Enable one at a time, check the website, until you find the one that is conflicting.

Also if that doesn't solve it, then I can give you the Microsoft toll free number for IE8 issues.

That is really all I know to suggest to you. Flash Player is a browser plug-in and any add on to the browser will either be a positive or a negative.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 11:13 AM   in reply to CJB666

Thanks CJ. A screenshot would be great. The thing about add ons is some will not only conflict with the browser, but each other. So that is why I need to see what is there.

The Disabling of all add ons except the SWO(when and if it appears) is to Disable All of them. Then check your sites, then Enable just one and check the website, then Enable one more and check your website, etc. This way you will know which one is conflicting. I had to do this last year and it is the easiest way. In my case it was one website that would only work if I Disabled the Shockwave Flash Object:-), try to figure that out!

I agree, I wouldn't Uninstall IE8 at all. I'm sure MS has a way, but with it installed in the OS, I don't know how it would be done. We'll use the MS contact number as a final solution.

The 40MB zip of Flash Player would not make a difference. You already have all of the correct Flash Player files installed & the SWF. This issue is the SWO in IE. This would complicate matters in my opinion. We have one issue and that's the SWO, I wouldn't add to it.

The experts on the Registry from MS states that beginning with XP, there is no need to use Registry Cleaners, so I don't tamper with the Registry either, seeing there are more than 3,000 entries. Even Adobe in their guides have special instructions for people that have used the Registry Cleaners and state they can cause more harm regarding Flash Player.

So, that is my opinion on that. Some old versions of Flash Player may have needed to make a Registry Adjustment due to a change in vs 5 to vs 6 and above, but we are on version 10. Be careful implementing Registry change advice. I would only do that on the advice of a MS Tech and then I'd need it explained first:-)

I know there are issues with FP10 and IE7 and IE8. However, Microsoft added restrictions to what a user can do with IE7 and when IE8 came out, added more restrictions and this has nothing to do with Flash Player. Adobe says FP needs to add the ActiveX Control(SWO) into the IE browser and write to the Windows Registry. Microsoft says, wait a minute, well ok you can do that but only under our(MS) restrictions. So a user must comply with the IE requirements. Then the Anti-Virus programs come in and say they will block all ActiveX installs and these are the components that will do that. Then the Firewalls come in. So you see a lot of variables are in play. Navigating around the road blocks is what troubleshooting is about.Ok, I'm off my soap box now:-)

By the way, do you have Real Player installed?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 8:48 PM   in reply to CJB666

I have installed but ineffective,it makes my blog cannot work normally.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2010 6:55 PM   in reply to jonyGHD

To jonyGHD, The Flash Player Forum is not to be used to advertise your blog, just a FYI. In fact as far as I know none of

the Adobe Forums are to be used for that purpose.  You may want to read the rules.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 3:51 PM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, nice to hear from you. That is very interesting. I knew about UAC in Vista, but so you have it in Win7/IE8. Ok, well

that would certainly explain some of this. In fact, not too long ago a thread was up concerning repeated IE security warnings that would not go away. It did turn out to be the UAC.

I'll check on that as far as relating to Win7/IE8 and get back to you. Glad you found that out and posted the info back.

Will post back on what I find out.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2010 4:54 PM   in reply to CJB666

Thanks CJ. I know exactly which thread it is:-) Of course it couldn't have anything to do with MS/Win7/IE8, now could it?

LOL

Do you have the UAC or Protective Mode? From what I have read, if UAC is turned off, then the Protective Mode is off.

Also if the UAC is Enabled/ON, then you get pop ups asking if you want to proceed.  Have you experienced any of that?

I know this is in Vista and IE7, but haven't had time yet to see if it's in Win7/IE8.

Let me know,

thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 8:08 AM   in reply to CJB666

Hi CJ, You deserve 5 Stars for this information  Fantastic!! You don't know how many users are going to benefit from your research. Great work, I must say CJ.

So this UAC evidently is in Win7/IE8. Vista I knew about.  Now what I have read is that as long as a user has good Anti-Virus/Firewall protections they should have no problem turning the UAC down/off. We lived before UAC, right? LOL

There is a thread that the user is having the same exact problem that you have described! The ActiveX Control keeps disappearing. I have seen this problem before.

Thank you so much CJ for posting this. I find the MS/MVP forums to be lacking and sometimes not helpful. Also I find them answering questions that weren't asked:-)

I appreciate your information and solution. I'll certainly bookmark your thread!!

Regards,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 9:19 AM   in reply to CJB666

CJ, I always liked the newsgroups too and had a lot of user input, which was very helpful in that it was based on experience. No MVP or Moderator can have the actual experience on every issue, no more than I can on Flash Player or anyone else. Not a good move on MS's part.

I have read about problems with Acer support services, or lack I should say. So it sounds as if they didn't have an answer but wanted you to pay premium for their non-answer!! Then their non-answer is now marked as answered. Good grief. I don't blame you, I wouldn't tell them either unless they wanted to pay 50p a minute or maybe more since you may have had to explain what UAC was!!

There is so much more I'd like to research myself, but only so much time in a day, glad you could do it.

Thanks again, CJ.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to CJB666

Hi there.  Thanks so much for this post.  I have spent tens of hours scouring the internet searching for a solution to this problem. It was driving me crazy.

I too have an Acer Aspire (5332) running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 8.  I had tried all sorts of solutions including invading the registry, downloading Flash Player with Anti-virus, firewall and pop-up blocker turned off, installing FP as Administrator and goodness knows what else.  I had noticed that the add-on had altered when the problem occured, but it was still enabled, although it had lost its association to Adobe.

In the end, the solution suggested here of turning off the User Account Controls, simply solved the problem of the repeated need to re-install Flash Player.

I guess it is not an ideal solution and I suspect eventually Adobe will solve the problem in a Flash Player update, but for now it has got everything working again.

Fantastic work and thanks once again to all concerned.

Panda.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points