• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting kumihan tables to work in Japanese documents

Explorer ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a little unclear about how to get kumihan tables to work (specifically, the <NoLineBeginChar> statement).

I'm working in English Windows with the language set to Japanese. When I save a Japanese manual as a MIF, then open the MIF in Notepad as a UTF-8 file, the KumihanCatalog section is there and all the Japanese characters are correct. (If I open as ANSI, the Japanese characters are garbled.) But the <NoLineBeginChar> statements obviously don't work because the manual in Frame shows lines that begin with the illegal characters. I tried saving the text MIF file as UTF-8 and opening in Frame. The document looks fine, but the <NoLineBeginChar> statements still don't work.

The files were produced at a translation agency...I suppose they used a Japanese OS, which is why the kumihan tables are there.

So, do I also need to use a Japanese OS to get the kumihan tables to work, not just an English system with the language set to Japanese?

Thanks,

B250

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

B250,

I would be interested to learn from your experience 😉

What version of FrameMaker are you using? From your UTF-8 experience I guess it should be FrameMaker 8 or 9, but please tell us anyway.

To simulate a Japanese OS without having it, you could switch the "system locale" of your machine to Japanese, at lest stuff like this made FrameMaker think it was installed on a Japanese OS in earlier versions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-the-system-locale

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

I'm using FrameMaker 8. I often have my system locale and language set to Japanese. Some Asian language features, such as Combined Fonts work, but the <NoLineBeginChar> function still doesn't work. So I'm stuck manually adjusting spacing to comply with Japanese line break rules...no fun!!

B250

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tami,

I know it was a long time ago... but did you find a good solution to this problem. I have a similar challenge and am currently fixing manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Harry,

I did not, but now that you've reminded me I'm going to look at it again in FM 11. Thanks for the bump! I'll post here if I find a solution.

Tami

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines