Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects CS5 hangs on startup

May 8, 2010 12:16 AM

After Effects CS5 (MAC, german trial version) needs 5-10 minutes to start up, hangs on the message "MediaCore wird initialisiert". On another Mac (small macbook!) it works fine. I did a reinstall, no effect. No plugins are installed.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2010 4:45 AM   in reply to airbusjoerg

I have the same problem, but on Windows 7 Enterprise x64. (German Trial, too.) When i kill the task "Adobe QT32 Server.exe" it won't work! After Effects didn't start, never! I can wait 20 Minutes and nothing happends.

Please Help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2010 8:14 AM   in reply to airbusjoerg

What are the versions of Mac OSX that you're using, both on the computer where After Effects is hanging and on the computer where it is working fine?

You shouldn't kill the Adobe QT32 Server process while After Effects is running. After Effects relies on that process to use QuickTime files. However, it may be the case that this process keeps running when you quit After Effects; in which case you should kill the process before you restart After Effects.

There's more information about this on this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629806

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2010 8:52 AM   in reply to airbusjoerg

After Effects hangs up to 1 hour at starting. Why?

When i remove this folder "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5\Support Files\(Media Core plug-ins)" After Effects gave me this Error, http://yfrog.com/9gdoaej

Why it takes so much time to load this little folder? I want to work with After Effects, please help us.

My OS is Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Thanks

Edit: It WORKS! My firewall have blocked After Effects, i removed it and it works very well!

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 9:58 AM   in reply to airbusjoerg

After Effects uses TCP to communicate with the QuickTime server (Adobe QT32 Server) and the Dynamic Link manager, but we limit the connections to the local machine only (which is enough for most firewalls).

If you are having problems with After Effects hanging in communication with either of these processes, then explicitly telling your firewall to allow them to communicate may help.

Here are the executables that might be affected:

dynamiclinkmanager.exe
    Adobe QT32 Server.exe
    aftereffects.exe
    PProHeadless.exe

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 9:24 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Which port do we need to open up to let AE communicate with QT32 Server?  AE hangs on my desktop machine, but opens up perfectly on my laptop.  I'm not aware of any difference in networking settings between them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 1:11 PM   in reply to airbusjoerg

I'm having the same problem and it's really starting to frustrate me. AE (Cs5) hang son start-up until I kill the "Adobe QT32 Server" process. But if I do that I can't dynamiclink or export in any QT format. I can open Premiere Pro (Cs5) or any other Cs5 program just fine. I've tried deleting the preferences thing, tried reinstalling, and a few other things but no luck. I have a Macbook Pro 2.88ghz C2D 4gb ram with 10.6.3 and QT 7 is installed. Please fix this Adobe.....

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 1:03 PM   in reply to airbusjoerg

Have you explicitly told your firewall to allow them to communicate, as Todd stated, and you still have the same problem?

I'm just curious.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 1:13 PM   in reply to lmenningen

I have a Mac... I don't have a firewall. I have a program called Little Snitch that is the closest thing to a firewall, it's a network traffic monitor. But even when I disable it After Effects doesn't work.... The only way right now that I can get AE 10 to open is by quitting the "Adobe QT32 Server" process and as I stated before, it jacks up my workflow in After Effects... I have pretty much tried anything and everything that has been listed about this topic on these forums: deleting preferences, reinstalling After Effects, creating a separate user, etc... I think until Adobes finds a fix for this shenanigan I am just going to stick with AE 9...

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 4:03 PM   in reply to airbusjoerg

AE and Pr both use separate copies of the QT32 Server when running.  This is normal.   If both apps are running at the same time it may not be clear which QT32 Server is which.  You may want to avoid that while investigating these issues.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 4:18 PM   in reply to seth monger

Why can't adobe just remake the programs to fix these problems? Mainly caues there is a lot of errors with 64 bit

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 2:41 AM   in reply to airbusjoerg

Thank you very much Adobe.

Installed the upgrade from AE cs4 to AE cs5  and bingo AE is not working.

I'm using a Mac Pro 4core 8gb ram Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573).

Clicking the icon gives me nothing at all.

Already reinstalled but no change.

Come on Adobe, I need to make a living. What is this all about?

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 9:15 AM   in reply to Stephan Mayer

Some of you appear to be having different problems.  Let's keep this thread focused on QT32 server related hangs only.  Please start a new thread if:

1. you are never seeing an AE splash dialog come up

2. the splash dialog does not say "Initializing MediaCore" during the hang you are seeing

3. killing the QT32 Server process  in the Activity Monitor (mac)  / Task Manager (windows) does not result in unfreezing AE.   

Please note that if the Activity Monitor says QT32 Server is "unresponsive",  that can be normal and does not, by itself, mean you are experiencing a QT32 Server hang problem.    If (2) is happening but not (3), then you are likely experiencing some other plugin related issue than the QT32 server.  If all the above do apply to you.  Make sure you've tried the firewall fix mentioned above first.

If that doesn't help, on Mac please get the following information:     Repeat the hang with only AE running,  then go to the Activity Monitor and select the QT32 Server process.   Then press the "Sample Process" button at the top of the window.   When the sample is complete,  please post the first page of the resulting text file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:33 AM   in reply to seth monger

[log edited out so that the thread is readable]

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to calebbaker

Thanks guys.  It looks like both of you are having a similar problem with a third party AVI codec.  Please remove or uninstall any third party AVI codecs such as DivX,  XVid, etc. from your system and try AE again.  

You can also temporarily disable these components by closing any QT related apps and then dragging components out of the Library/QuickTime folder on your boot drive.   If that works, try adding them back one by one until it fails again.  That is the problem codec.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 1:02 PM   in reply to seth monger

Aww man thanx so much.... It is an AVI Importer component. I can't thank you enough!

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 9:14 AM   in reply to airbusjoerg

Thanks for your help figuring this out.. and for the beer offer. Don't think  I'll be in Dresden any time soon, but if you could recommend a brand I'll give it a try here..  hoist a virtual toast as it were 

Just for the record, this would appear to be caused by the Perian codec for Mac, correct?  Which version was causing this problem?  Thanks.

Anyone else still have QT32 Server related problems on this thread?

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 9:19 AM   in reply to seth monger

This worked for me too Seth.  Thanks for solving the issue!  AE CS5 is running beautifully smooth now.  My 'AVI Importer' file was dated 2006.  Don't know which numeric version it was.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 2:38 PM   in reply to airbusjoerg

how can i check for third party programs on my computer? I'm not sure if i have any...

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 8:30 AM   in reply to Faresx

This particular QT32 Server problem is only about third party QuickTime codecs. Are you still having a hang problem on AE startup that matches the three criteria listed in a previous post?   Are you on Mac or Windows?

You would have non-standard QuickTime codecs only if you either:

- installed them yourself  (like the Perian codec), or

- they were installed by side effect when you installed other video applications or hardware

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 5:36 PM   in reply to seth monger

It was after i isntalled the adobe media player that this started happening

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2010 6:34 PM   in reply to Faresx

Sorry for the double post. I found DivX on my computer and uninstalled it and it's still happening...

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 12:13 PM   in reply to seth monger

Seth no this was not caused by the Perian component (for me anyway). It was an AVI Importer component.... I have also had problems with After Effects on other computers and these problems were caused by bad fonts on my system so I suggest to others to check that if they are having problems too...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2010 8:40 PM   in reply to calebbaker

I installed the CS5 demo of AE on an 8-core 3.2GHz Mac Pro running OSX 10.6.2 and couldn't believe the ridiculous startup time.

I just want to say that I'm glad I finally found this thread (after searching multiple variations on Google).

Following the advice above, I narrowed the culprit down to a QT component: AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component

I am not sure where this component originated, but perhaps that will be useful for someone else knowing the name?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 11:01 AM   in reply to 8rik

Hello 8rik, hello everybody,

I'm working on a Imac 3.06 Ghz Interl Core 2 Duo / 4 Go 1067 Mhz RAM / OS 10.6.4

AE CS5 failed on demo and final version due to the Adobe qt32 server process.

On my computer, impossible to find the "AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component".

Where is it ?

What to do ?

Adobe support is not able to help me or fix the problem...

The Mac path is :

Library > Quicktime

I erased : AviImporter-r7 (Intel).component AND XviD_Codec-r58 (Intel).component

Both were 4 years old (2006 !)

IMPORTANT : just renaming the files is useless / erasing the files makes AE CS5 work in 5-10" instead of 2-6' !

Ce message a été modifié par : la-rando

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 12:44 PM   in reply to la-rando

La-rando - glad you figured it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2010 12:10 AM   in reply to airbusjoerg

For me killing the QT32 Server.exe before I start After Effects worked. No waiting anymore with the "Media Core initialization" in the splash screen. Windows 7 64bit and After Effects CS5

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:14 AM   in reply to airbusjoerg

I'm running AE CS5 on Windows 7 (64 bit). The program worked fine for months but is now hanging up on start up during the Initializing MediaCore sequence. It takes about 5 minutes to launch the program and when it finally does I get the following error message:

You have at least one output module template that refers to a missing output plug-in. Please check your Output Module Templates.

It seems to have lost the Quicktime codec and now will not recognize any files in the Quicktime format.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:32 AM   in reply to rontoon@aol.com

> I'm running AE CS5 on Windows 7 (64 bit). The program worked fine for months but is now hanging up on start up during the Initializing MediaCore sequence. It takes about 5 minutes to launch the program and when it finally does I get the following error message:

You have at least one output module template that refers to a missing output plug-in. Please check your Output Module Templates.

It seems to have lost the Quicktime codec and now will not recognize any files in the Quicktime format.

See this document:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html

That document talks about aggressive firewall settings, but we've also seen that some other software (like FileMaker) can block the TCP communication that these components require.

If I'm right about what's causing the problem, the QuickTime failure is because After Effects is being prevented by some software on your computer from communicating with the Adobe QT32 Server process.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2010 8:49 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

THANK YOU!!! Problem solved!!!

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)