Skip navigation
StepRock
Currently Being Moderated

Automate export of a single .indd to multiple PDFs

May 12, 2010 3:24 PM

Hi guys!

I've been looking for a script to automate a tedious, repetitive process. What I do is to use a data merge on a master to set up a series of very similar documents with a partner's information...we have LOTS of partners. There are a total of 10 different documents all in one long InDesign file.

After their data is in, I export the pages out in 2-page increments (except for one wich is a 4-pager) as seperate PDFs. It's the same set of documents every time with the same file names, it just has different contact info on it.

If it saves the right pages over an old copy OR if it exports new PDFs with the right names, that would rock!

Thanks for any input,

StepRock

----------------------- DETAILED DESCRIPTION -------------------

Export pages out as documents like this:

Page 1-2 "About Us.pdf"

Page 3-4 "Services.pdf"

Page 5-8 "Solutions.pdf"

etc.

InDesign CS3 on a WinXP PC

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2010 12:59 PM   in reply to StepRock

I ue applescript to do this and it does it well, but I am MAC and don't think it will help you much. Look in the InDesign Scripting forum - someome with some JS skill will come along.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 1:21 PM   in reply to StepRock

It is a long custom script - Would you PM me and I'll try to send it later tonight when I get to my studio? I export out to a server so you will have to tweak it to your system. In addition to that, have you looked into a pdf splitter - www.artspdf.com - They have some interesting plug ins for acrobat that may help with similar tasks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 2:20 PM   in reply to StepRock

It's also pretty easy to extract the pages to individual files from a multi-page PDF in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 2:45 PM   in reply to StepRock

StepRock wrote:

Yeah, I'm just hoping to automate the process a bit more than what I've got right now. It's not that it's hard to do; it's just tediously repetitive.

Um, what makes it more repetitive than doing the operation in ID on a file-by-file basis? You do have to open the file in Acrobat, which is an extra step, and use the menu to select extract pages, but at that point its a checkbox and a single click.

You might want to check the Acrobat forum as well. Someone there may have a script that will do a whole folder full of files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 3:16 PM   in reply to StepRock

You can specify any range you like,but if you want some grouped, and some as individuals you probalbly would hgave to list them like 1-5, 6,7, 8-12... as you do inthe print dialog in ID. I haven't tried this. If you want just individual pages check the box:

Extract.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points