Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pixelated image after copy/pasted and reduced.

May 12, 2010 9:56 PM

New to PSE. Useing PSE8.

1) I just Lasso'd a person from a 2MB photo of mine, and copy/pasted it onto a stock "iceberg" photo that came with the PC (you know the one). Because the iceberg photo, as it turns out, was much smaller relative to the pasted image, I had to shrink (using CTRL-T and dragging inward the lower rt corner) the pasted image to about only 10-20% of its original size so that it would fit in the iceberg photo. As a result, the pasted image is very pixelated. Given the orig photo size, should not the pasted image have looked even better, not worse?

What did I do wrong?

2) When reducing the image size, I held the shift key down to maintain the proportion of the image, but that didn't work. Is that not recognized in PSE8?

thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 14, 2010 3:51 PM   in reply to criv1

Are you viewing the image at 100% zoom?

I ask because the 100% zoom is the only true view. All other magnifications are a representation of what is being displayed. This representation can often result in the image appearing to have "stair stepping" or "jaggies".

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 4:41 AM   in reply to criv1

I don't know if this would make any difference, but I've always heard it is good practice to change the source picture's resolution to match the destination's resolution before doing the copy/paste.

Holding down Shift while dragging should preserve the proportions.  I hope this is still the case in PSE8 (I have an older version). Terri, can you answer this? Anyway when you do the Free Transform (Ctrl-T) you can change the size by entering the percentage in the W and H boxes on the tools option bar. Also check the "maintain aspect ratio" icon on the options bar.

You can also resize a layer with the Move tool and Shift-dragging a handle. Did you try that?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 12:48 PM   in reply to criv1

Hi,

Okay, I think I might know what is going on. I would bet you have your interpolation method is currently set to "Nearest Neighbor." Try changing it in your application preferences, in the Editor, Edit<Preferences<General. The interpolation method you have set for the application determines how the transform is applied. The best bet for this might be  Bicubic Smoother or Bicubic.

As to the transform command not working as expected, that could be a corrupt preference file.

Press and hold down Ctr l+ Al t+ Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Opt + Shift (Mac) immediately after (or while) launching the PSE editor. A prompt will ask if you want to delete the preferences file. Click Yes.

This will reset user settings so wait until after resetting the application preferences before going in and setting a interpolation method. (Reset would make it look better anyway if you have as I suspect changed the setting to Nearest neighbor.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 1:28 PM   in reply to Terri_F

Terri F,

"Editor, Edit<Preferences<General. The interpolation method you have set for the application determines how the transform is applied. The best bet for this might be  Bicubic Smoother or Bicubic"

I don't see this option in the referenced dialog in PEv.8.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 2:01 PM   in reply to hatstead

hatstead wrote:

Terri F,

"Editor, Edit<Preferences<General. The interpolation method you have set for the application determines how the transform is applied. The best bet for this might be  Bicubic Smoother or Bicubic"

I don't see this option in the referenced dialog in PEv.8.

My bad. I thought that was also in Elements. I guess the best bet is going to be to reset the application preferences.

The only place in Elements that has this setting is in the Image Size dialog. Image<Resize<Size. This might help. I haven't experimented with it yet only the preferences via Photoshop. My kids are going up the wall wanting on the computer right now...so no way I can't check it right now. Be very glad you can't them...

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 4:32 PM   in reply to Terri_F

Terri_F wrote:

The only place in Elements that has this setting is in the Image Size dialog. Image<Resize<Size. This might help. I haven't experimented with it yet only the preferences via Photoshop...I can't check it right now.

I still think resetting the preference file will clear it up but did do a little experimenting.

I tried the image changing the sample interpolation method using the Image Size on the low resolution image and there wasn't a change.

The only way I could control the interpolation method with what Elements offers is by resizing the high resolution image before dragging it into the low resolution image. I did the transform via Image<Resize<Image Size by decreasing the high resolution by 10%. (I used the percentage amount the OP was transforming his original image using the free transform command.)  If you try this you will see the difference in interpolation methods. (I checked this in PSE 3 but assume there's no difference in E8. I wanted to make sure that a percent could be input for resizing with resample on.)

I normally cross check to make sure it works in Elements but thought surely Elements had interpolation as a preference. Next time, I'll be sure to give it a check an option is available in at least the version of Elements I have and not just assume a feature is there based on memory.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points