Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why oh why won't AE CS5 run under XP Pro 64 bit?

May 15, 2010 4:03 AM

Francly, i'm getting fed up of this stupid CG world we live in where users have to juggle and zig zag in between the permanent idiotic capitalistic software development battles going on way above our heads for teh sake of profit.

I have a little pipeline  of 20 machines, couple of servers, couple of workstations and a bunch of render nodes. 80% which were set up with Vista (Pro Ultimatte and Business) had to be downgraded to XP Pro 64 for compatibity issues with some of the tools i was using, plug ins for 3ds max and AE mostly. believe it or not, downgrading from this piece of crap Vista did cost me money! ...and now that it is all finally running properly... the one tool i use for compositing in my pipeline that is AT LAST (and the last tool of its kind!!!!) 64 bit native.... WILL NOT RUN UNDER XP 64!!!! Which means that just because for reasons i absolutely ignore Adobe is forcing me to upgrade all operating systems on my network in order to finally benefit of what AE should have been able to do already for at least over a year! Wow! great marketting plan!

So i'm asking two questions here... and excuse my lack of formality....

1 -  ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME?????!!!!

2 - What are my options if i want to upgrade to AE and Premiere cs5 in order to finally make a full use of those within the 64 bit pipeline (that all my other tools are already set up for ...for years!!!!) without having to spend s#itloads extra in operating systems and other consequent upgrades? Cause as much as i'm willing to go with the flow... i'm just fed up with wasting my money over political decisions ADOBE, AUTODESK, MICROSOFT and more are making just to squeeze a little more each time.

pe@ce,

Adriano Zanetti

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 15, 2010 4:26 AM   in reply to AdrianoZanetti

It's called progress. As to why you never bothered to upgrade your MAX and its plug-ins and whatever other tools you use is your own decision. AFAIK, MAX 2010 is certified for Windows 7. That aside, you can't exactly blame Adobe for limiting choices that when e.g. even NVidia only support the CUDA features in Premiere Pro on W7. Like it or not, you got yourself in this pinch...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 8:18 AM   in reply to AdrianoZanetti

> Seems fairly decent to expect from Adobe to be notified earlier... much earlier than on the release date of the upgrade that my set up will be obsolete

We did communicate the system requirements before the release date. This system requirements page went live three weeks before CS5 was released.

And we were talking publicly about the system requirements even before that, such as this post.

As to why we didn't develop and test After Effects CS5 for Windows XP: Every operating system that we develop and test for takes extra time and resources, which means that fewer features get in. Also, 64-bit Windows XP is just not a modern operating system; Windows Vista and Windows 7 deliver much better performance and memory handling. Given that we wanted to deliver the best possible memory and performance experience to customers with After Effects CS5, it made sense to focus on these two modern Windows operating systems.

By the way, this is a user-to-user forum---a place for After Effects users to talk amongst themselves. It isn't the best place to ask questions about why Adobe did something. If you want to go straight to the source and get answers to questions like this, then talk with Michael Coleman, the product manager for After Effects. He has these sorts of conversations on his blog.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 1:46 AM   in reply to AdrianoZanetti

Adriano, I can understand how you feel about using Windows XP 64. A couple of month before CS4 (yup CS4) shipped, I bought a Win64 Version because I didn't want to move on Windows Vista. Like you I was expecting to have all my software running correctly.

Then CS4 was released, and Win64 was not officially supported. Yes I could install and use AE CS4 on XP 64b, but if I had a problem I knew I couldn't get support. So I decided to move to Win Vista 64, and eventually Win7 x64 when I learned that AE was going to be 64bit only.

Now I probably don't have as much CG software as you, but I had such problem of software compatibily between different Oses. And on this one, I wonder why you thought Win XP64 would be supported by AE CS5 as it was already dropped by AE CS4. In the end, I agree with you, Adobe should have announced the supported OS when they announced 64bit, they should have highlighted the fact that XP64 was not supported, but in the same time, as a CG professional it's your job also to check software requirement before upgrade/invest. And considering that XP64 was dropped in CS4 (but CS4 would install, and run nicely without any major bugs) you should have guessed that it won't be supported.

In the end, we can't always be aware of every new little thing in any new software release, but a switch from 32b to 64bit is indeed a huge step, and the media coverage of the announcement was big enough for anyone in the CG industry to notice.

But once again, I've been there before, and I feel your pain.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 4:15 AM   in reply to AdrianoZanetti

Ho yes, so true. I'm also sometimes frustrated at Adobe as a whole, because, to me, they put some dev ressources too much on some software and less on other (that are more important to me). For instance, I was really surprised when I discovered that the whole AE team is just composed of 40 people (out of 6000+ total Adobe employees).

So I guess it also explains why supporting older OSes was in jeoperdy when they decided to move to CS5. I'm not trying to be the devil's advocate, or Adobe attorney on this one, but if the AE team could get a little bit more love from their parent company, I'm sure we'll all'd be happier in the end of the day

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 8:14 AM   in reply to AdrianoZanetti

I just deleted a post on this thread for inappropriate content.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2011 10:32 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thank you, Todd.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2013 9:30 PM   in reply to Szalam

"Windows Vista and Windows 7 deliver much better performance and memory handling" !!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points