Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2010 7:41 PM   in reply to rudy713

Thanks Rudy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 10:04 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

I just started using CS5 today and ran into the same issue. Every CS5 program I have open is all of a sudden disabled in terms of being able to use the space bar / cmd / option keys to get the hand tool, and magnification tool.

It happened in Photoshop and Illustrator simultaneously.

I have gone through this thread and disabled spotlight shortcuts and other keyboard modifiers used by os x by default and it is still broken. I restarted both Photoshop and Illustrator and it still does not work.

I am going to attempt re-booting my machine but if this is going to be the norm it is going to seriously impact my workflow since those are keyboard commands I use all the time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 10:11 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Rebooting my mac brought back the keyboard commands in Photoshop and Illustrator. I will post more information if that issue happens again and see if I can find a pattern or a situation that will cause it to happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 8:09 PM   in reply to DrunkCyclist

Thanks DrunkCyclist. Be sure to try my debugging steps above ( http://forums.adobe.com/message/2846310#2846310 ) to see if there is another process that is conflicting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 1:07 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

I've had the same problem and i can confirm that quitting the webbrowser brings back the hand-tool in Photoshop. Adobe - I hope this information helps you to fix this bug quick. I also hope for an Photoshop-Update that fixes the "slow scrolling" problem (off topic).

Apart from that Photoshop CS5 seems to run smoother and faster on my MacBook Pro than CS4 did, seems you guys did a good job! =)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 8:38 AM   in reply to Matthias Rendl

Matthias,

It helps. We haven't reproduced the problem in house for the Hand/Spacebar issue but we have some good clues.

Which Web Browser do you use? Do you remember what content/URLs were active/visible? What version of Flash Player do you have?

Slow scrolling - Yes, we're aware of the issue. I was looking at a fix for it yesterday. Which mouse (brand/model) do you use?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 9:37 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Jeffrey -

I use Firefox 3.6.3. I don't remember all the websites that were visible, but I think I had www.spiegel.de as a tab open and in another tab i was logged into an account of http://basecamphq.com/. is it possible, that there is a conflict, when a javascript/JQuery/lightbox on a website responds to keyboard-commands?

my flash player is version 10,1,52,15

and the scrolling problem appears with this new "apple magic mouse" as well as with the old "mighty mouse" (wired version)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 12:15 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

I haven't had the problem come back since I rebooted yesterday. I see that other people replied to the thread but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue since.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 7:29 AM   in reply to rudy713

Hi guys,

I've just had the same problem in InDesign CS4 - you don't realise how much you use this command until it stops working!! First time it's happened to me since installing the CS4 suite some 3 months ago.

Anyway, having read the thread, I did what Jeffrey Tranberry suggested and quit my web browser, which fixed the problem straight away (was running Firefox 3.6.3 if that's of any help).

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 9:03 AM   in reply to rudy713

I haven't got Hulu loaded on my Mac, so that's definitely not the culprit in my case.

Either way, it's damn annoying. Hasn't happened again to me since relaunching Firefox however, and, as I said in my earlier message, it had never happened before - and I use Firefox on a daily basis at work... so it may have actually just been a coincidence that it started working again then.

I'll follow this thread with interest...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 7:43 AM   in reply to rudy713

For me the shortcuts for pan and zoom stop working when i open firefox and log into my gmail account. As soon as i quit firefox they come back again.

It's quite annoying because i check my mail very often.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 9:13 AM   in reply to georgespataru

Can those who are seeing this bug also include the Flash Player version you're running?

You can find it by going to this site:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 9:16 AM   in reply to barry young

I have version 10,0,42,34 installed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 9:43 AM   in reply to georgespataru

Thanks. And just for good measure, what version of Firefox are people using?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 10:17 AM   in reply to rudy713

I can reproduce this with Hulu Desktop. We'll be able to take it from here. Thanks for the info.

Barry

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 3:34 PM   in reply to barry young

For me its not HULU - I don't have it installed.

For me, Since I quite Dreamweaver and discovered that solved the problem. I have had PS and DW open at the same time and was working with it last night, Space Bar Hand worked perfectly.

I put the Mac to sleep last night, woke this morning. Woke it up and PS hand space not working anymore. Saw this update about Firefox (3.6.3), so I quite Firefox to test that and didn't make a difference, I closed Dreamweaver and it works fine again.

Thought Im on to something here - restart Dreamweaver though it still works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 3:47 PM   in reply to 101Phil

At this point, i suspect it's related to Flash (as others have pointed out). Hulu desktop is an AIR app running the flash player. Dreamweaver probably runs some form of flash when loaded, triggering the same bug. Using the Hulu desktop gives us a reproducible case, so we can have a developer look at it and figure out what's going on. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 12:55 AM   in reply to barry young

Just for the record: I use Firefox 3.6.3 and Flash Player 10,1,52,1 and I don't have Hulu installed

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 6:33 AM   in reply to rudy713

I use Firefox 3.6.3. after restart firefox, space bar is working

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 10:20 AM   in reply to rudy713

yep it's definitely a Firefox thing. My spacebar wasn't working in ID CS5 all of a sudden. Closed Firefox (without even restarting ID) and it's working again fine. I'll let everyone know when it' stops working and will take a screenshot of the Firefox windows open. I'm in Firefox v 3.6.3 and OS X v 10.6.3

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 10:20 AM   in reply to rudy713

This happened to me again today in Photoshop, (only the 2nd time its happened to me). I had Flash and Photoshop open at the same time, but no Firefox or any other apps at the time it happened.

Not only did the spacebar tool stop working, after clicking around a few times in Photoshop, the program just froze up and I had to force-quit and restart Photoshop, at which time the keyboard commands came back.

Don't know if it is the same issue, but I was locked out of the keyboard commands before Photoshop finally choked completely.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 10:56 AM   in reply to rudy713

Exactly my thoughts Rudy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 1:16 PM   in reply to rudy713

using flash v. 10,1,52,15, firefox 3.6.3, OS X 10.5.8

no hulu here, but if i shut down firefox, the spacebar hand/grab tool works perfectly.

as soon as i re-launch FF, it ceases to function.

neither re-launching nor rebooting change this. :[

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 10:34 PM   in reply to rudy713

Some of us have hated Flash since before the Macromedia–Adobe merger.  I guess that makes us rabid mad dogs.

Wish Flash would be shunned in the Mac OS and in Windows too, but I know that's just wishful thinking. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 9:39 AM   in reply to rudy713

Space bar and zoom keyboard modifiers stopped working for me again. Quitting FireFox does not bring them back...

The only way I can bring them back is to reboot my machine.

This really sucks. I hope they fix this soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 6:06 PM   in reply to DrunkCyclist

Are there any other processes that are running flash other than Firefox? Hulu desktop reproduces this problem for me and quitting Hulu fixes it. I don't need to reboot my machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 6:14 PM   in reply to barry young

There are optional MacOS shortcuts that use the spacebar and modifier-spacebar combinations (mostly in language/keyboard/IME switching, and SpotLight).

And other applications could be doing something similar to what Flash is doing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2010 4:43 AM   in reply to rudy713

If your CMD, CTRL space bar aren't working in CS5 and you use spotify. Switch Spotify off its the culprit

www.bigeyebrow.com

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 3:10 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

So if you only have Photoshop CS5 open after a fresh start and one does not have spotify on their system, and they are not using Safari or Firefox at that moment it should all work, right? I am not sure what you  (Chris Cox) are saying in your comment. Is there a solution some where? Are you still working on a solution? The "spacebar" short cut to the hand tool, is one of the most used function when retouching. At least for me. If there is no fix for that, CS5 will be only a plugin sort of, when I 'd like to use one of the new features of CS5, and CS4 will still be the main Software to use.

Is there not a possibility to program that function, as a new short cut?

Thanks and keep looking for the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 6:06 PM   in reply to mhherbst

We don't know of any problem in Photoshop.

So far customers have found other apps, or system preferences to be at fault.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 7:24 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I am sorry, I didn't want to stir up angry comments. It looks like rudy713 has a point. Maybe without admitting any fault, you could please look into this and tell us what the difference in the two versions ( CS4 - CS5 ) regarding the spacebar issue is. Than we might be able to solve the problem on our machines, with different programs loaded, in different ways. Otherwise we might spend hours and hours on turning things on and off, to find yet a new program that does not want to play with the new CS5.

Your responds is very much appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 8:07 PM   in reply to rudy713

The new variable is that Photoshop CS5 is a Cocoa app, and some other apps and utilities misbehave with Cocoa apps/events in slightly different ways than they did Carbon apps.

Writing the app does tend to give me a bit more information about what is going on.....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 1:03 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thank you that did narrow my app's down a bit. In my case it was the Quicken Scheduler of Quicken 2007. Never the less, I do think that there should be a warning or instructions, or better a fix of that problem. Programs should not run of the expense of others.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2010 7:47 AM   in reply to mhherbst

So far I stopped using Firefox and go with Safari - no problem so far. I use CS4.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points