Skip navigation

Space Bar Hand Move & CMD-Space Zoom Not Working—CS5

May 15, 2010 10:02 PM

Latest reply: Ernst Mulder, Dec 4, 2013 6:34 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2010 8:22 AM   in reply to f**ks**e

Not that I know. The function comes back when I turn off my web browser.

That is the only "work-around" that I have found.

Reply-To: <clearspace-910008417-749962-2-3230218@mail.forums.adobe.com>

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:01:05 -0600

To: Conroy Lam <conroyl@americanroamer.com>

Subject: Re: Space Bar Hand Move & CMD-Space Zoom Not Working—CS5 Space Bar Hand Move &amp; CMD-Space Zoom Not

Working—CS5

Has this been resolved...? No entires since August..

I have been having this issue for the past 6 months or so - on 3 different

machines running 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. It has happened to me in PS, ID and AI

in CS3, CS4 and CS5...

Infuriating!

>

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2010 10:30 PM   in reply to CLAM-ARC

It hasn't been happening to me, though I have switched to Chrome as my primary browser

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 11, 2010 6:54 PM   in reply to 101Phil

I just had this happen on my machine after a couple of weeks of running CS5 now with no problems. Restarting Photoshop did not change anything, but restarting Firefox 4b did fix it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 12, 2010 12:08 PM   in reply to Oddbeat Inc

Oddbeat, are you running Photoshop 12.0.2?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 12:19 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

No, I had been running 12.0.1. I didn't see that there was a newer version out. Updating to it now.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 7:04 AM   in reply to rudy713

Hi. Having the same issue as well. Quitting Firefox seemed to fix the issue, oddly enough. Running CS5 and Firefox 3.6.13

Hope the bug is fixed on whoever's end soon. But honestly, just glad to finally figure it out how to remedy, if only temporary.

Cheers,

matt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 19, 2010 9:54 PM   in reply to rudy713

I experienced this today after upgrading to Snow Leopard (although I had noticed some inconsistencies with keyboard shortcut selection of tools prior).
    I too deleted preferences - com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist - turned on and off prefs for spotlight, restarted system and Photoshop. 

I began quitting applications and the one that released the problem was Google Chrome. I could have release each tab one at a time to narrow it down but I suspect it was the BBC Radio stream -http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_one - that was causing the problem.

Other tabs open were Twitter, a quickbooks site and this page. 

I think Adobe have conceded or acknowledged that Flash or FlashPlayer may be involved, not necessarily the culprit, and are addressing it. 

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 12:22 PM   in reply to rudy713

Cmd-Space bar hand and zoom just stopped working for me in Acrobat 9 and InDesign CS5. Just wanted to report that simply quitting Chrome solved the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2011 9:43 AM   in reply to darrylYee

My spacebar was on and off, but after  I reinstalled after my old hard drive crashed, it seems fine. It might be due to bloat? But, this is one feature I've been using for years, and thank god it is still a feature and working.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2011 2:03 AM   in reply to rudy713

ADOBE FIX THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  IT'S BEEN SEVEN BLOODY MONTHS since the original post, and this issue still exists!  I just upgraded from CS4, and am having this issue.  I'm running the trial of 12.0.2 on Mac OS 10.6.6 (blame FedEx for the trial - they don't know how to find my place), then did a full update 20 minutes ago and installed everything.  Ran another update - nothing left to install.

I will vouch for the Hulu issue.  It was open, I quit and problem went away.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2011 10:01 AM   in reply to jeffhatz

Same problem but with Mac OS 10.5.8 on CS4 and the problem happens in Illustrator. Flash version 10,1,102,64. It may happen in Photoshop or InDesign, but not sure since I've got mad and went looking for a solution when Illustrator did it. A reboot was the only thing to make it work again even though I tried all the keyboard settings, quick key and even uninstalled an old Wacom tablet.

I agree with those who link it to FireFox (I'm on version 3.6.9) or Google or GMail. After quitting FireFox the space + command zoom and space bar hand tool and all space bar related quick keys came back. I relaunch FireFox and it worked for a while, but logging into my GMail account brings the problem back.

VERY frustrating. Especially since this thread is getting pretty old now. I wonder if anything will be done to fix it.

Message was edited by: mbrunw Note that the problem just appeared in InDesign too exactly the way it appears in Illustrator. It will likely show in Photoshop too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2011 4:09 AM   in reply to rudy713

WOOOOW! FIXED √

Hi there

I experienced the same issue right now, all of a sudden, "out of the blue", very annoying.

Experienced on AI & PS, CS5, on Mac Os 10.5.8. even after quitting cs5 and launching again.

The situation : working on a project, but also cleaning up my Mac (because i will quit my job tonite) = trashing stuff, disconnecting accounts, emptying caches, etc.

After reading this thread giving the guess that other apps may conflict with CS, i checked what was running background and other stuff till i fell upon… LASTFM. !!

-> a lastfm window (the mac os x app, the scrobbler stuff) was standing behind the other windows, waiting for i don't know what. The thing is that the window came after i disconnected my account. It seems the app launched a window waiting for another account connection. I did not notice it because i thought disconnecting was like quitting, and also because lastfm is a background app (for example, you don't see it when you type cmd+tab for app browsing…)

:-°     :-/

So i quit everything of Lastfm, and cs5 came back to life !!

Consequently, mega-tip : check the background apps…

Hope this will help.

Regards.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2011 7:01 AM   in reply to rudy713

We are experiencing this exact same error through most of our machines in our agency, OSX 10.4 to 10.6, PPC to Intel, with CS4 - PS, ID, AI,.... It comes every time out of the blue.

This thread is older than one year, come on Adobe, what´s that?

Please, I would like to hear some update on this issue.

I am so fed up with re-booting my machine every time I run into that bug - which means several times a day.

Would be more than glad to finally see a solution to this, not only a lame work-around like "please close <insert browser name>" - which is not working for me, as I have to work with CS4 and browsers on a daily basis. I am so NOT quitting ANY other application in CS4´s favour.

Best regards

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2011 9:18 AM   in reply to rudy713

LOL that's funny.

For the record I still get the problem once in awhile and I've never installed the HULU desktop app.

When it happens I have to quit and re-start photoshop but it doesn't happen very often and I believe it happens mostly when I have 10+ programs open while in the middle of development tasks and haven't gone through and closed out programs I am not using anymore.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2011 6:39 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

For those who have still been experiencing this problem and (like me) have been searching online for a solution...  I called Adobe to ask for help and they advised that I go to Macintosh HD/Users/(your user name)/Library/Preferences and remove two items: a folder named 'Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings' and another file named 'com.adobe.Photoshop.plist'.  This is apparently a bit different to resetting Photoshop preferences at startup (by holding down alt, control and shift keys).  So far this has worked for me.

My understanding is that there are three Library folders on Mac computers so make sure that you follow the pathway that I've noted above.  You might have trouble seeing the above pathway in Finder if you have Lion installed, as it hides that folder.  If so, you need to unhide this using the Terminal application (found within the Utilities folder) and there is a tip on how to do this here: http://tarastips.net/2011/05/show-hidden-library-folder-in-mac-osx-lio n/

Best of luck... 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2011 1:21 PM   in reply to rudy713

My experience and fix. We had new identical 27in iMacs and CS5 (ID, IA and PS) in the studio this year and my colleague had this issue every day, where as I didn't. He would have to restart his Mac up to 5 times a day to cure it once this "shortcut" bug hit across the CS, which, as you can imagine, got really frustrating. So, before he threw the thing out the window, we set about looking at when it happens and what I did differently on mine. Conclusion, Safari. When I'd been online for something I would quit Safari, where as he would leave it open. The next time the bug hit, he quit Safari and low and behold, shortcuts worked again. This fix now works EVERYTIME. He has not had to restart since. We don't use Firefox, HULU or anything else mentioned. The only other main software we use is Office Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 1:18 AM   in reply to Helen Melville

Thanks Helen,

this one finally did it for me. I deleted those prefs and settings, and my space bar came back to life. So obviously your trick did it in CS4 aswell.

I still do wonder: why isn´t Adobe able to fix it. I mean, really fix it. It´s a bug, it gets in my way and in your way almost every day, and as far as I can see here, it happens to quite some people with different settings. I´ve never ever had to deal with HULU. Or Last FM. I´m using browsers, but - hey, I´m a web-designer, so I have to. And funny enough: every post i read it seems to be another browser. Chrome, Firefox, even Safari turns up.

Best

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 10:46 AM   in reply to M. Schilde

....because the bug doesn't appear to be in Photoshop itself, but in something outside of Photoshop that we cannot detect, work around, or directly control.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2011 11:36 AM   in reply to rudy713

do you use bridge and firefox?

if you start FF before Bridge you will have that issue in CS5. Close and restart FF after u start bridge.

G

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 10:25 AM   in reply to rudy713

I can solve it by closing any program that uses adobe air. Hulu desktop, spotify, tweet deck etc. no browser issues.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 3:18 PM   in reply to chromaticcolor

I don't use any of those programs, but it leads me to wonder if I shouldn't just uninstall Adobe Air?

Chris Cox, what say you?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2011 6:47 PM   in reply to s.mahn

You can try it.  It is possible that AIR or Flash has a bug that is causing this behavior (but that doesn't seem to show up for everyone).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2011 5:26 PM   in reply to 101Phil

+1

Quitting Dreamweaver immediately restored the spacebar functionality in Photoshop for me.

I had never even heard of Hulu until I read this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2011 5:55 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Well, the bug is back again (some time after deleting the preferences).

Can anybody please clearify?

Exactly what ist Hulu? What application uses Hulu? Asking Google, the first result is some video platform on the internet, which I cannot access from Europe. Is it some sort of proprietary video-codec? How would that affect my work?

I don´t work knowingly with Adobe Air - well, at least I don´t start manually any application called Adobe Air, and I do not work with Bridge or Dreamweaver at all. I don´t work with Flash on a regular basis (and there is no coherence with that bug). Does Hulu pop up automatically when I work with PS or ID or AI? Does it come to life when I work with any browser (or for that matter: browser plug in, like flash player?)? How can I avoid running into this bug again?

I´m still on CS 4, so the cocoa vs. carbon argument may not work.

Is it really "the browser"? Because, I cannot exclude "Hulu", as I do not know what it is, or how to get rid of it. As much as I´d love to.

PS While researching "Hulu" online... guess what? Safari crashed, caused by Flash Player Plug in. Haha. :/

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2011 12:07 PM   in reply to rudy713

Not sure if this will help the troubleshooting process at all, but I've been having this same problem. For me, the space bar / move and option / copy shirtcuts fail after I open Google Chrome, log into Gmail, THEN "switch to log in to another gmail account" (my Google Apps email account for my business). Not sure if a strange script is being used in Gmail to make that transition, but it seems to interact with CS4 somehow.

Hoping for a fix soon!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2011 4:40 PM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Just wanted to add my tuppence worth. Same problem but with Indesign CS4. Quitting Chrome browser (15.0.874.121) restored the Hand Tool...

Opening Chrome before InDesign causes the bug to reappear. Opening InDesign, then Chrome is fine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to rudy713

Discussion moved to the enduring forum

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to lazy_atom

Just happened to me for the first time. After reading this thread I tried quitting Chrome and it fixed it. I had among other things open in chrome multiple Youtube videos and Audiogalaxy.com.

Google Chrome21.0.1180.79 (Official Build 151411)
    OSMac OS X
    WebKit537.1 (@124502)
    JavaScriptV8 3.11.10.18
    Flash11.3.300.271
    User AgentMozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/537.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/21.0.1180.79 Safari/537.1

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.1 (12.1x20110328 [20110328.r.145 2011/03/28:10:30:00 cutoff; r branch]) x64

iMac12,1

2.5GHz, 12GB RAM

Starting chrome again and reloading the same session did not cause the problem to re-appear.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2013 6:32 PM   in reply to Jaroneko

Hi everyone,

MY PROBLEM FIXED!

I stumbled accross this forum because for the first time ever my pan and zoom functions (ctrl+space) stopped working on Ps cs4 out of the blue.

Turns out the play/pause button along the top of my multimedia keyboard was semi-depressed due to something being spilled on it. I had pressed it early in the day to pause music and realized it didn't pop all the way back up.

After pulling the button up by hand to it's normal position, the functions in PS began working normally!

It may be worth checking to make sure all the keys on your keyboard are functioning properly as this may be the cause of your Ps issues.

Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to rudy713

Just saw this issue popping up on a Mavericks system with CS5. Quitting Safari solved the problem this time.

Safari 7.0

Flash Player 11.9.900.152

Ernst.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers