Skip navigation
ShazWhatName
Currently Being Moderated

Reader damaged or corrupted files

May 17, 2010 12:18 AM

Hi,

I downloaded the new version of Adobe Reader (from the Adobe site) last week.

After that I began having trouble opening pdf files that I had created with Illustrator (I hadn't had that problem before and didn't connect it to the Reader update) - the message said something like 'couldn't open ... since the file is damaged'.  I'd save the file as a pdf, open it to check it was there (which it was), close it and couldn't re-open it again (on my computer nor on a friend's computer) - it also did something dodgy to the original illustrator file so that became damaged and wouldn't open either...

Then other files on the USB stick that I had stored the files on also began to be damaged/unreadable with scrambled file names - I couldn't open or delete the files from the stick either! Now most of the files are missing or damaged - even though I hadn't opened them before they scrambled...

I also lost a number of files on an external drive that I was using to try and rescue some of the files on the stick that looked like they might be okay - scrambled file names etc

So far my computer itself seems to be okay (cross fingers!)

I run up-to-date virus scanning software - which says the files are 'clean'

I unistalled Adobe Reader completely (after my browser started telling me that it couldn't read pdf's) and installed Acrobat - I can now happily open pdf files without a problem.

BUT - I'd like to be able to repair all the other lost files... any tips/hints on how I might do it?

Sharon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2010 7:58 AM   in reply to ShazWhatName

If this also happens w

ith files that are not PDFs, I would suspect corruption in the pendrive, and run a repair program if I had one...

Extra linefeed kindly provided by the software.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 17, 2010 3:23 PM   in reply to ShazWhatName

If the corruption "propagated" from PDFs to non PDFs, and from a pendrive to another drive, I would suspect a virus of some kind. But you say you have run an antivirus with up to date definitions?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points