Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

JVC GY-HM100u Import issues for MOV files

May 18, 2010 9:50 AM

We shot the most recent video in the MOV format using our JVC

camera.  The native files only open with audio in Premiere CS5.

When trying to open the xml files, we keep getting

"The importer reported a generic error."  What codecs do we need to fix this for quicktime or what

other work arounds are available?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 18, 2010 11:03 AM   in reply to mcszero

Just import the directory that contains the clips and disregard any error messages or use Bridge for import.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 12:40 PM   in reply to mcszero

The HM100 camera IIRC shoots MPEG2 wrapped as QuickTime.  Be default,QT gives you no MPEG decode support.

We have internal support for this now, but it's not in the current CS5 release.  I believe it's slated to be included into the first update.

|
    Mark as:
    May 18, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to mcszero

>xml files

I thought xml were CONTROL files, not video files

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2010 7:08 PM   in reply to mcszero

I have this Camera, and i am HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM! MOV is not supported, and it's telling me that i have missing CODEC!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2010 7:11 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

On both ways, the FILE can't be read by the CS5!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2010 7:14 PM   in reply to patrickharb

Do you have Apple's QT Player installed?

If so, which version?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2010 9:11 PM   in reply to patrickharb

I have this camera.  I am on a PC with CS5.  You need to shoot in MP4, then it is perfect.

There are utlities on the JVC section of DVInfo web site about this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 6:26 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Well, i have PC. so... i downloaded the quick time pro. But it seems i'm not the only one having these issues. The camera records MP4 and MOV. The MP4 is ok, but the MOV is NOT OK AT ALL. It can't be imported because there are some missing codecs. adobe has to update to be able to read MOV.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 7:01 PM   in reply to patrickharb

adobe has to update to be able to read MOV.

Because you recorded to the wrong format? Nonsense. You recorded to a format that is to be used on a Mac with Final Cut Pro installed; the MP4s, as you discovered, will work with Premiere on a PC. This is Apple's doing, not Adobe's.

Download the program MP4toMPG and use it to rewrap your MOVs to MP4. They'll work in Premiere then. And next time, don't shoot to MOV.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 7:39 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Actually, MOV. is the highest definition. Shooting MOV is better than MP4. With this camera, it's not good to shoot compressed files. we need to shoot best quality! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 7:46 PM   in reply to patrickharb

You really need to do your homework on this camera, then. The same codec is used in both the MOV and the MP4; they are simply containers. The video itself is absolutely, 100% the same in both containers: 35Mbps XDCAM EX (which is MPEG-2, by the way). You shoot using the container that is best suited to your editing equipment; in your case, you want to use MP4.

It's sort of like if I were to bring you a nice glass of lemonade, and a shoe full of lemonade. They're both lemonade, but one of them is going to make you feel a little better about drinking it... because you'll feel awfully funny drinking out of a shoe. If I poured the shoe full of lemonade into a glass, however, would you know? Nope. Still lemonade.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 7:52 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

When i go to the settings, it says MOV or MP4! it doesn't say MPG-2. But on both ways, if they are the same containers, why the CS5 does not import it then? by the way... my QUICKTIME PRO does not read it as well!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2010 8:03 PM   in reply to patrickharb

<sigh>

That's because MP4 and MOV are the CONTAINERS, not the codec, and the containers are not the same. It's an XDCAM EX 35Mbps camera, first and foremost--this is a specific codec used to compress the captured images. Then, they are stuffed into either an MP4 box or an MOV box; you use the MOV box when you're working on a Mac with FCP, and you use the MP4 box when you want to preserve your sanity (and mine, apparently). What is inside those boxes is EXACTLY the same.

You need to use MP4--even though it's the same codec and content--because Apple does not provide the decoding components ("box cutter") for XDCAM EX MOVs on the Windows version of QuickTime, or on any Mac that does not have FCP installed. QuickTime on Windows can't open the box, Premiere Pro cannot open the box, and pretty much everything else on the PC cannot open the box. However, the program I linked to earlier can open the MOV box, and will put the video into a different box (actually, an MPG box, not an MP4 box, but it really doesn't matter). This is no different than moving your Levis from one suitcase to another; they don't suddenly become a polyester leisure suit.

If you're hell-bent on using the MOV container, I won't try to convince you any longer: plunk down the cash for the Calibrated XD Decode QuickTime components and get on with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2010 8:43 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Well, first thank you for sending this detailed email. Actually, you relaxed me when you told me that MP4 and MOV contain the same FILES. What i can understand is that the QUALITY REMAINS THE SAME (of am i wrong?) if it is the same, so, it doesn't matter to me. I will keep using MP4 until adobe fixes this problem! wow, thanks for the information.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2010 1:01 AM   in reply to patrickharb

Think of a container as if you would a zip file.

Zipped files are containers, it can contain numerous amounts of filetypes and formats inside. You can choose to compress the content or not.

In your case the container you can choose between is .mp4 or .mov.

When you compress the content that's when the codec comes into play. Codec stands for encoder and decoder, which tells the computer how to read the file. When you compress the file you encode it and when you play/read it you decode it. In your case the encoder used is mpeg-2. To read the file you need an mpeg-2 decoder. In the case of the zipfile that would be the type of compression you choose (high, medium, low, store/none).

When a camera records into mpeg2, and you can choose the container type used, the quality is the same as you say, but the different programs/plattform reads the file differently. Thus the problem you have ran into.

I know the analogy is not a 100% correct, but hopefully you'll get the jist of it.

So for your sake, if MP4 works, there's no point in actually going back to .MOV, unless you change plattform and needs the container format to be .MOV. As I see it, no need for you to wait for a fix either as it does work with .mp4.

Use what works, that's why your camera has the choice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 29, 2010 5:37 AM   in reply to patrickharb

What i can understand is that the QUALITY REMAINS THE SAME (of am i wrong?) if it is the same, so, it doesn't matter to me.

That is correct. There is no difference in the actual video quality.

I will keep using MP4 until adobe fixes this problem!

There is no problem for Adobe to fix. If anything, Apple to needs to "fix" FCP to work with native recording formats so that it operates like Premiere. As I said previously, the MOV option is for use in FCP only (unless you want to go through workarounds like have been discussed here), while the MP4 option is for everyone else. You fall in the "everyone else" category, and therefore you should always use MP4. Adobe can't really do anything about the limitations imposed by Apple--that's not entirely true, but let's go with that.

Bottom line: use MP4 and be happy.

There is no spoon.

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2013 7:02 PM   in reply to Colin Brougham

Colin, it looks like you know what you are talking about but I have the same sort of issues...  I have Premiere Pro CS3 and can not read the mpg4 files produced by my JVC HM100U.

I also have a Mac Pro with FCP but that is in the shop getting an overhaul and I need to edit a small project...  What updates do I need for Premiere Pro CS3 to get around this problem the PP will not recognise the files created by the JVC.

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2013 9:20 PM   in reply to DaveTater

What updates do I need for Premiere Pro CS3

CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Is CS6 the answer...????   I have the CS3 Master collection...  is it possible to just upgrade Premiere Pro to CS6 and leave the rest...???

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to DaveTater

It would be big bucks for the Master Collection these days wouldn't it...??

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to DaveTater

I think I have managed a way around this for the moment but I don't want to go down this track for to many projects...  I have managed to convert the mp4 files that the JVC has created into mpg files and it looks like the quality is o k.  However I can not render my project...  for some reason I loose the media...  but I can out put into and avi movie...  this file can also be converted for use on YouTube so I can get away with a project or two until I get my Mac and FCP back...  Then I guess I need to think about going down the CS6 track....  could use it for photoshop anyway...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to Colin Brougham

I am having the same problems no mater if I shoot in .MOV or MP4...  I have Premeire pro 6  and it is also telling me I need a codec.... 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points