Skip navigation
John Woram
Currently Being Moderated

How to?: Break text threads between chapters

May 19, 2010 7:45 AM

I'm working on a 300+ page .indd file of a multi-chapter book. As expected, text flows between the bottom of one page and the top of the next (or vice versa) as paragraphs are edited/added/deleted, etc. That's great within a chapter, but not-so-great when text flows out of one chapter and into the next. So, is there any way to break a thread at the end of, say, page 210 and start a new thread at the top of page 211? And do the same thing throughout the file where each chapter ends, and the next begins on the following page?

I've tried everything I can think of, like cutting everything from page 211 to the end to the clipboard, then pasting it back in again. As soon as I do that, page 210 threads itself to page 211 again.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 19, 2010 8:21 AM   in reply to John Woram

There's a free plugin called textstitch which you can configure to unthread the current spread

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail& extid=1300019

hth

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 8:33 AM   in reply to John Woram

You need to break the thread before you cut and paste. Try clicking the outport of the last frame in the chpter, then click the loaded cursor inside the same frame. That will break the thread at that point and make the the remaining text overset, but leave all the frames threaded before or after that point.

Put your cursror after the last point in the text you want in the frame, then press Ctrl (Cmd) + Shift + End which will select from that point to the end of the story, cut, put an insertion point in the next frame and paste. Repeat as required.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 9:21 AM   in reply to John Woram

Turn off Smart Text Reflow in the prefs...

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 9:29 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Well maybe that isn't it. I had a little trouble following what you've done.

The point here is that you need to break the thread (and for that I think you do need to tun off smart reflow -- can't stand it myself so I never have it on), then you must cut the extra text to the clipboard. Your frame cannot be threaded, if you broke the thread properly in the first step to any frame downstream, and there should no longer be any overset text after doing the cut operation, so you won't be recreating a thread where you don't want it. From there it's just an ordinary past at some new cursor location. If you make a new frame, it will fill and leave overset that you can pick up, or if you use the old downstream frames pasting will refill all of them, but they will only be threaded downstream, not back to the original text you left behind.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points