Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flick Panning in CS5

May 21, 2010 12:16 AM

Hi,

Can someone please, help me make 'Flick Panning' work in CS5?

I run Win7 Ultimate 64bit.
MB: Asus P5Q PRO with 8GB RAM
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
Video card: nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB RAM, driver: 197.45

At the moment, I have both CS4 and CS5 installed.

CS4: Flick Panning works in 32bit version. Does not work in 64bit version.
CS5: Flick Panning does not work in either 32bit or 64bit version.

'Enable Flick Panning' and 'Enable Open GL Drawing' are both checked in all versions.

I cannot swear to it, but I think Flick Panning did work in CS5 before I updated the driver to the present version. The previous version was 196.21.  Returning to that older version, did not help. It was offended, and refused to work.  I did a complete driver removal with Driver Sweeper, and reinstalled the new version (197.45), but it didn't help.

Any ideas, please?

Moshe

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2010 1:03 AM   in reply to mronen

Try choosein Open GL Drawing to add many features including Flick Panning.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2010 12:27 AM   in reply to mronen

Hi Moshe,

The items you mentioned are the ones that I was talking about.

in Preferences/Performance/Open GL Drawing checked/Advanced Settings.../ Mode:Normal Vertical Sync checked and Anti-alias Guides and Paths checked.

My graphics adapter is the ATI Radion HD 4600 and I find it to be quite fast.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 23, 2010 8:59 AM   in reply to mronen

Sounds like you need further driver updates from nVidia then.  There's no rule that says latest is best with video drivers.  They're such complicated beasts, the video card companies are concentrating their efforts elsewhere (i.e., games), AND time-to-market pressure is HUGE -  that it seems to be beyond any video card company to release perfect drivers.

ATI provides a portal for reporting problems, and they actually appear to listen.  NVidia may well do so also (I simply don't know because I don't use nVidia).  I suggest you let them know Photoshop CS5 isn't working properly with their card, and you might mention that ATI users are having no problem with Flick Panning (i.e., it works great for me on my ATI Radeon HD 4670 ).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2010 10:48 AM   in reply to mronen

I had the self same problem with CS5. I am running an NVIDIA FX3700 that did not at all take to CS5. A driver update made a big difference. If you then go to edit > pref > performance and click on Enable GPU, this enables the Advanced  button. You get another screen. Select Advanced (again) from the pull down menu and click or leave both options set to 'on'. Save, exit CS5 and reload it. Flick scrolling then seems to work. I have no idea why, but that is the modern world for you.

Downside: something horrid happens around what ought to be the standard three Windows buttons at top right, and indeed the title bar as a whole. In XP at least, it pulses worryingly whenever you do anything that needs a screen update, and cannot decide whether to be Windows desktop standard or the imposed Adobe-specific buttons. Sometimes it is both, in horrid superimposition; other times it vibrates and flickers. Once again, a Beta version offered for sale, it seems.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 9:40 AM   in reply to mronen

It may be an XP issue, as I think the Adobe buttons are supposed to mimic Windows 7. Which of course means that they will be out of date in a few years. There are several related issues - if you make a selection and then do things to it, such as move it, the uppermost bar flickers with the 'crawling ants'. As I said, a Beta released for sale. Again.

Re the flick panning, you may need to go to your driver control panel and set the corresponding open GL settings to what works for the card. With NVIDIA your adjust Image Settings to emphasise quality over speed, and select PhysX, whatever that is.  (At least, after I did this, the flick pan started to work.) NVIDIA are not great providers of Help, I fear.

Hope helpful.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 18, 2010 3:57 AM   in reply to Oliver_Sparrow
    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Oliver_Sparrow wrote:

Sometimes it is both, in horrid superimposition; other times it vibrates and flickers. Once again, a Beta version offered for sale, it seems.

While I understand your frustration with the imperfections, it occurs to me that expecting a cutting edge product to work perfectly on an ancient operating system with an outdated UI is a bit like swimming upstream.

XP is on its way out, there's no denying it and there's no stopping it.  Time to consider moving up to a modern system.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2010 7:56 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni
    >XP is on its way out, there's no denying it and there's no stopping it.  Time to consider moving up to a modern system.

It's a Microsoft agent at work undercover?

RE. NVIDIA drivers, please see the thread "File associations fail with CS5" where I have given a rather scrappy account of how difficult it is to instal the most recent set. In essence, if you go through the nom,inal installation process, Windows subverts it without telling you, apparently because the driver is not signed. What you get is apparent change but exactly the .dll that you have before. The procedure for getting around this is elaborate, and I have rather poorly doc'ed it there. Driver is NVIDIA 1.12.14.5957 released a few days ago, with an explanatory note that say s much the same as this. (But you have to find it for yoruself.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Sep 18, 2010 8:25 AM   in reply to Oliver Sparrow

Espousing the benefits of staying current doesn't make me a Microsoft agent.  I just wonder why people choose to stay mired in the past.  I've gotten nothing but more productive since I moved up to Windows 7 x64, and before that the now aged Vista x64 improved greatly upon the dinosaur that was XP x64, which of course was the most modern version of XP.

I wonder whether the nVidia driver installation might go smoother on a modern system.

Though you may swim valiantly, the flow against you will tire you out sooner or later.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points