Skip navigation
Matt J Dawson
Currently Being Moderated

full version pshop CS (8), upgraded to CS4. Recieved the free upgrade to CS5... will this work?

May 21, 2010 1:19 AM

Hi,

Appologies if this seems like a stupid enquiry. I'll keep it quick and simple.

I had been running a full version of photoshop CS (aka photoshop version 8). I just bought the upgrade to CS4 and also (to answer other questions on this forum) I just received the free upgrade to CS5 from Adobe. Not having an intel Mac yet I plan to sit on my CS5 upgrade till I have the machine to run it. My question to anyone who knows/has done this, can I install my CS5 upgrade given that my original full copy of photoshop was version CS (ie. more than 3 versions back)...?

I have seen this discussion:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2734196#2734196

but it still leaves me unsure (would Tai Lao be able to install CS5 if he wanted too I wonder...???).

Before anyone asks I have asked Adobe via the customer support portal and they said that I 'could install CS5 upgrade from CS4 upgrade' (which still doesn't answer the question, does my having CS stop me upgrading to CS5 due to the "3 version back upgrade policy"...?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 21, 2010 3:01 AM   in reply to Matt J Dawson

Matt,

Focus for a second please:

All Adobe upgrades are FULL INSTALLERS.  If the upgrade does not find a previous version installed, it will simply ask you for the old serial number as well.  That's all.

You now have a valid CS4 serial number.  When you install CS5, the installer will look for a previously installed version.  If you have installed CS4, it will proceed automatically to install CS5.  If you did not install CS4, just use its serial number when prompted. (NOTE:  This is based on the assumption that CS was indeed a qualifying version to upgrade to CS4.  I don't remember what the requirements were back then.)

I have Photoshop 7.0.1, 8 (CS), 9.0.2 (CS2), 10.1 (CS3) and 11.0.1 (CS4) installed on my machine.  All those are upgrades from my original full version 4 of Photoshop from many, many years ago.  I can run all of them on my machine, even simultaneously If I wanted to, by launching the older version(s) first.  In practice, I have run two versions simultaneously without any problems.

Just have your CS4 serial number handy.

Now, be advised that an awful lot of users are having nightmarish difficulties with the CS5 installer.  If you run into trouble, don't blame it on the serial number, just blame the extraordinarily incompetent members of the pathetic installer team.  That's a team outside of the Photoshop engineering team that has proven a disgraceful embarrassment to Adobe engineers and executives.  A senior program manager has even admitted in private correspondence that he can't write in public what he would like to do to the members of the installer team.

Matt J Dawson wrote:

… (would Tai Lao be able to install CS5 if he wanted too I wonder...???).

Of course I could, if I wanted to and had an Intel machine.  However, I have rejected Leopard and Snow Leopard, and I will stay with CS4 and Tiger 10.0.4.11 for the foreseeable future, which means for the remainder of my life expectancy, as I can't afford a new machine.

Matt J Dawson wrote:

Before anyone asks I have asked Adobe via the customer support portal and they said that I 'could install CS5 upgrade from CS4 upgrade' (which still doesn't answer the question, does my having CS stop me upgrading to CS5 due to the "3 version back upgrade policy"...?

Matt, the "3 version back upgrade policy" simply means that you have to have a valid serial number for one of the three versions, and you do have a valid number for CS4, which in turn was based on your valid number for CS.

Stop tormenting yourself.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 2:59 AM   in reply to Matt J Dawson

IMPORTANT CAVEAT:  Remember to register ALL your versions in your Adobe account NOW !

Just log on to your Adobe account.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 2:57 AM   in reply to Matt J Dawson

Matt J Dawson wrote:

… Not having an intel Mac yet I plan to sit on my CS5 upgrade till I have the machine to run it. My question to anyone who knows/has done this, can I install my CS5 upgrade given that my original full copy of photoshop was version CS (ie. more than 3 versions back)...?

If you wanted, you can even install CS4 on your future Intel machine.  CS4 runs in both PPCs and Mac-Intels.  CS5 only runs on Mac-Intels.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 5:10 AM   in reply to Matt J Dawson

Matt J Dawson wrote:

...My original question still is, given I started from a full version of CS is it possible for me to make use of my free gift of CS5 from Adobe...?

You have a full version of CS4, purchased as an upgrade. You will upgrade to CS5 from CS4, not from CS1.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 5:18 AM   in reply to Matt J Dawson

Matt J Dawson wrote:

Adobe actually answered your question neatly.

You can install CS4 with CS1 or you can remove CS1. Either way, you are licensed as a CS4 user and can upgrade to CS5 with no problem.

While CS1 cannot be used to upgrade to CS5, it is not really disposable. As CS1 was used for your upgrade path, you cannot resell it. And you should hang on to the CS1 media & serial# in case there is ever a question of your upgrade pedigree. (and of course, register all versions as noted previously)

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 8:03 AM   in reply to Matt J Dawson

Matt J Dawson wrote:

My original question still is, given I started from a full version of CS is it possible for me to make use of my free gift of CS5 from Adobe...?

Matt,

Perhaps if you tell me what your native language I'll be able to make you understand what previous assurances given to you in English have failed to accomplish?

For the absolutely LAST time, YES you can install the CS5 upgrade once you get an Intel machine, as long as you register your CS4 serial number ASAP (like today).  You can even register your CS5 online today (by logging on through your Adobe account) even before you get your Intel Mac.

What you cannot do is sell any of the versions of Photoshop you have, CS3. CS4 or CS5.  If you sell or give away any of those, you forfeit your right to use ANY version of Photoshop.  Period.

Later, you can upgrade to CS6, CS7 and CSx ad infinitum, upgrade upon upgrade, upon upgrade, upon upgrade, upon upgrade, upon upgrade, upon upgrade, just like I've done since buying the full version of Photoshop 4 eons ago.  Read my previous post.

You need to get your head around the fact that you legitimately upgraded from CS to CS4 by paying for the upgrade, and you legitimately upgraded from CS4 to CS5 by virtue of having bought the CS4 upgrade during the grace period right before CS5 was released.  You got a pretty sweet deal.

If you had waited just a few days longer, you would have NOT been eligible to upgrade to CS4 at all, you would have not gotten the CS5 upgrade for free, and you would have to pay full price for a full version.  In other words, you would have been S.O.L. (severely out of luck).

"Three versions back" means you can continue upgrading forever (if Adobe policy doesn't change) as long as you have a valid serial number for any of the three last versions of Photoshop.  It does NOT mean you can only upgrade three times.

Hope that settles it for you.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 8:06 AM   in reply to Matt J Dawson

Matt J Dawson wrote:

… make use of my free gift of CS5 from Adobe...?

That's plain bull.  That was no "free" anything.  You paid for the CS4 upgrade during the grace period and that included CS5.  That's all.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 8:09 AM   in reply to Matt J Dawson

I hope you're for real and not a troll intending to disrupt this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2010 10:56 AM   in reply to Matt J Dawson

Sorry about losing my patience.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)