Skip navigation
sloram
Currently Being Moderated

Cannot Successfully install Adobe Flash Player

May 25, 2010 2:27 PM

I have tried about 8 times to download Adobe Flash Player, following each of the steps required.  I get the "complete" message, but websites I then try to open tell me that to view I have to download Adobe Flash Player.  I evenn have in a folder the adobe flash player.exe, from which I've installed several times.  Several times I've rebooted my computer before trying to open the desired site.  That has not helped. How do I get Flash Player successfully installed and in operation?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2010 3:42 PM   in reply to sloram

Have you tried deleting cookies and cache from your browser so it doesn't send the old cookie to the site(s) that says you don't have the updated

Player?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2010 6:33 PM   in reply to sloram

sloram wrote:

I evenn have in a folder the adobe flash player.exe, from which I've installed several times.

What is your operating system?

What is your web browser?

From where did you download Flash Player?  "flash player.exe" is not the Flash Player download from Adobe or Macromedia.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 8:46 PM   in reply to sloram

Ok, I see: "install_flash_player.exe" is the installer for non-Microsoft web browsers like Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc.

"Outlook Express" is not a web browser, but the Windows mail client.  The Windows default web browser is Internet Explorer, and the installer for it is "install_flash_player_ax.exe".  Download it from http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_play er_ax.exe; save it to disk, then close all browser windows and run the downloaded installer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 10:27 PM   in reply to sloram

Go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ - can you see the Flash animation and some version information  underneath it?

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Can you check if all Adobe add-ons are enabled (somewhere in the Tools menu)?

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2010 10:58 AM   in reply to sloram

Hi, go to this test site and what version does it say you have Installed?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

Then use IE and go to manage add ons (all add ons) and find Shockwave Flash Object..ActiveX Control..Flash10e.ocx, is that listed exactly that way? Make sure it is Enabled. If it is not listed that way, then post back what is listed for Shockwave Flash Object.

If you use any other browser as Firefox or Chrome, go to plug-ins and look for a listing for a SWF version 10.0.45.2 and make sure it is Enabled. If some other version number is listed, that info is needed also.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2010 9:23 PM   in reply to 370H55V

How?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2010 3:48 PM   in reply to sloram

Hi, well you have made progress:-) If you had audio before I wouldn't see why you wouldn't now. Is the volume control on the videos turned up? I'm sure you have already checked your speakers. Are you having problems on other sites with audio as well?

Just a couple of things to check.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 1:01 PM   in reply to sloram

Hi, don't know about audio for dummies. Maybe the Moon jumped over Jupiter or something:-) Let's take a look and see what you have Installed regarding Flash Player. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Right click on the Flash folder and Open. Post back all files listed there please.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 4:24 PM   in reply to sloram

Hi, thanks for checking. (I have the habit of right-clicking:-) I use the right click for safety reasons, some users don't understand that by double clicking an .exe file what that will do and they would get something they may not want:-)

Ok, go back to your Flash folder, DO NOT DOUBLE CLICK, right click and Open the swflash.ocx. You should see a Delete or Remove Option. Do either one and then Reboot (restart) your computer. Once that is removed, then your Flash files will be correct.

After Rebooting, go to Tools, manage add ons and look for Shockwave Flash Object..ActiveX Control..Flash10e.ocx and make sure it is Enabled.

Post back your results.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 8:59 PM   in reply to sloram

Hi, I probably should have told you the reason that swflash.ocx needed removed is because it was very old. Ok, now we have the Flash files for IE correct and the Shockwave Flash Object. Oh, just some info: IE8 has various categories for listing add ons and it makes it difficult to find. When you see "currently loaded" or "have been used", etc. that is confusing. I use XP/SP3/IE6 and found out long long ago, what matters is whether the add on is Enabled or Disabled no matter where it is listed or under what category.

Now, back to the issue. Trying to determine when this audio issue appeared. Did you Install any new software, Uninstall any that you can remember? Try any trial versions of any? A new Toolbar perhaps? If you can think of any, let me know.

Now that we know your Flash files are correct and the add on is also, then something is conflicting. I have a couple of links and info on audio issues and will review them.

We may need to take a look at your add ons in IE, but usually those conflict directly with Flash Player.

Trying to pinpoint when the audio acted up will help.

Let me know and I'll see what I have on my Desktop.

Thanks,

eidnolb

P.S. What about Trend Micro? Is that new? What Anti-Virus did you have before Trend Micro? Do you have a version number? Something to consider.

Message was edited by: eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 11:56 AM   in reply to sloram

Hi, From the changes you listed, my opinion is that it was the upgrade from IE6 to IE8 (jumping out of the frying pan into the fire) LOL, sorry, IMHO. Some would say since I still use IE6, I just stay in the fire:-)

Now that change would be a major one. It can disturb things. Last night I was reading some of my info on Audio issues.

Do you know how to get to Services?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 2:23 PM   in reply to sloram

Hi, Ok. Go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. Dbl click Services and look for Windows Audio. Left click to hi-light it, then right click once & click on Properties. In that window, Check Service Status: It should say Started and Start up type should say Automatic. If Status says Stopped, then click Start, apply, and ok. Then Reboot(restart) your computer.

Now if Service Status says Started and  Automatic, then close that window and on the left side, click on Restart. Let it run, then reboot.

This is just something that may help.

Let me know, or if you have any questions.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 3:34 PM   in reply to sloram

Hi, well, finally!!! I watched some of that video last night. Glad they used a hot dog:-) Glad that the Services worked for you. I had to use that for my Anti-Virus that was stopping at strange times when I couldn't get it started no matter what I did.

Well, sounds like you are good to go:-)  Don't forget to mark your thread as answered. Another user has audio issues and I referred him to your thread and another one for the Install of Flash Player.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 5:45 PM   in reply to sloram

Hi, What you see is different than what I see. Here is what someone has posted to mark a thread as "Answered"

Log in to the forum (your thread) and go to one of eidnolb's posts on your thread. You should see at the bottom of the post an icon that says "correct answer". Click on that. Alternatively, if you reply to eidnolb's last post, just above (or below) the text box where you type your reply you should see an option for marking the thread as answered.

Hope that works.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 3:59 PM   in reply to sloram

Problem with Adobe Flash instalation, and running it?   Problem Solved!!!!!

After several days of mind benders I ran on to this answer and it WORKED !!

I am useing Windows 7, IE9 and Foxfire. I tried it all, (trouble shooting, calling support, etc..) The I did the followig and presto...problem solved. Do the following:  In IE9, go to the Tools button at the top right of your screen (Geers Icon) and click on it. Scroll down to "Safety". Open safety and "UNCLICK" the check mark next to "ActiveX Filtering". Your problem is solved!

This worked for me, and I am sure it will work for you. I too was loosing my mind for three days. If this works for you, please take a moment and pass this info. along!                           

William Blose

""

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2011 6:08 PM   in reply to William Blose

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status