Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

problem with Premiere Pro CS5 project files bloating

May 26, 2010 7:28 AM

Has anyone had the same problem that we're experiencing? - we have Production Premium CS5 installed on a machine with Win 7 Pro x64. We have three separate edits all of which are experiencing bloating of the .prproj project file. Often this bloating seems to occur when no importing of assets has occured, just changes in the edits. A project which started at 5mb has bloated to 1.5GB and we can no longer save it. Another project has bloated to 200mb and continues to grow in size. We have not brought in any weird assets, although we are using hi-def footage.

We upgrade from CS3 and never had this problem using Premiere CS3.

We can't fix the problem by 'remove unused footage' as this doesn't reduce the project size, although it does remove the unused footage.

We can't fix it by importing the project into a new clean project as the problem and huge file size just comes with

We can't fix it by using the project manager to collect up the project as it requires to save before collecting and the problem files can't be saved.

A couple of points to note - these projects were originally on Premiere CS3 and were upgraded to CS5. The footage is either Sony EX3 or Canon 5D - both HD.

The machine it's running on has 8gb of RAM.

Currently the projects I'm working on are gradually grinding to a hold with no way to make the files usable again.

Any suggestions are greatfully recieved as I'm at a loss. I've reported this to Adobe, and will report back if I get anything useful.

thanks.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 26, 2010 9:08 AM   in reply to NAT WILSON

these projects were originally on Premiere CS3 and were upgraded to CS5.

That may be your problem right there. Try creating a new blank CS5 project and see if it still happens. It's a best practice to finish the edit on the same software that you started it on. I just bought CS5, but am going to wait until all my CS4 editing is done before I install it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 11:44 AM   in reply to NAT WILSON

Long Shot:

Have you tried to import the sequences invididually?

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 6:14 PM   in reply to NAT WILSON

More Widespread it is as I have also experienced this.

I did exactly what Jeremy suggested (before reading this thread). All of my other .pproj's were 5MB - 10MB but when I tried to reOpen it and things were really slow... I noticed that the .pproj was just over 100MB. After I started a new project and imported the SEQ's the file size is back inline with the others (7MB). This coincided with another problem posted in another thread where someone suggest Operator Error because all of the Media in my project was gone... same as the Original Poster of said Thread.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 10:28 PM   in reply to NAT WILSON

Same problem here. I started the file in cs5.

My back up files started at 4,000kb, 27,000kb, then 207,735kb and won't open.

Also the program is getting slugish. I can't drag the opacity slider but I can make the adjustment on the timeline. Hmmm

That is a great tip about importing seqences, thanks

8 gig ram

HP 8660

ati fireGL 5600

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 10:56 AM   in reply to NAT WILSON

Same problem here...

Mac with a software raid0.

16gigs of ram and quad core CPU.

HDV 1080i

Project file bloated to 10 GIG.  That's right...10 GIG.  It wont even open anymore.  The open dialog sits there and doesn't do anything.

We need a fix or a work around really quick here.

Sheri or Will from Adobe...any chance you are reading this?

Any input would be really helpful!

Thanks!

P.S.  We tried importing the sequence and it just sits there.  It think its to big even for that!

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 10:58 AM   in reply to fredgilb

fredgilb wrote:

Same problem here. I started the file in cs5.

My back up files started at 4,000kb, 27,000kb, then 207,735kb and won't open.

Also the program is getting slugish. I can't drag the opacity slider but I can make the adjustment on the timeline. Hmmm

That is a great tip about importing seqences, thanks

8 gig ram

HP 8660

ati fireGL 5600

Fredgilb,

Are you using any type of Raid?  I wonder if this might be the common factor.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 11:48 AM   in reply to tclark513

No RAID. JBOD.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 6:14 PM   in reply to NAT WILSON

Dennis,

I see you are posting at this time...

Can you suggest anything for the problem above?

This is starting to get out of hand.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 6:09 AM   in reply to NAT WILSON

natswilson wrote:

TClark,

I'm shocked that you are having the same problem on a mac. This seems to suggest a problem that could be really widespread. You've also beaten my 1.5GB file bloat size.

What the hell is going on with Premiere Pro? I'm surprised to have heard nothing from Adobe either via my support request or on this forum, save for Jeremys useful work around, considering how serious an issue this is.

I've had to break all the projects I'm working on which have multiple timelines in each project into a new seperate project per timeline in order to reduce the file bloat problem and reduce the risk of me loosing all my work in one go on a bloated file.

Adobe - we could do with some help here. It's frustrating to have spent so much money on licences for this software only to have virtually non-existant help when a serious flaw in the software manifests itself.

Nat

Yeah...it's really a bummer that no one is acknowledging it.  It's pretty serious!

I hope Dennis jumps in soon!

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 8:06 AM   in reply to tclark513

Has EVERYONE who has experienced this filled out a bug report? The more reports they receive on this bug the higher the priority for a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 10:20 AM   in reply to Huntrex

Consider yourselves acknowledged.

We get lots of bug reports. Please don't take it personally if you don't get a direct response from us for each one.

Has anyone seen this same bloating with CS4 projects?

This is definitely not the case:

Has EVERYONE who has experienced this filled out a bug report? The more reports they receive on this bug the higher the priority for a fix.

Dulicate bug reports just get marked as duplicates and closed. Deciding the priority for a fix involves determining the severity of the problem, the impact on the usability of the app, the time involved in making the change, and the risk of those changes to the stability of the app. More bug reports, not so much.

Feature Requests are another thing entirely. Popularity is a factor -- not the only one -- but we definitely notice.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 10:23 AM   in reply to NAT WILSON

I commented early in this thread.

Have I really been relegated to nobody already?

Yeah...it's really a bummer that no one is acknowledging it.  It's pretty serious!

I hope Dennis jumps in soon!

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 10:29 AM   in reply to jeremy d.
    Have I really been relegated to nobody already?

No Jeremy. Like Harm, I try to ALWAYS read any of your posts, even it the thread does not affect me - yet.

Please keep up the good work.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 10:36 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Jeff will tell you, I am emoticonically challenged. I will try to indicate my level of levity in the future.

I was kidding, mostly. I was kind of shocked.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 10:39 AM   in reply to jeremy d.

We just wanted to convey our respect and appreciation here - you ain't [SIC] chopped liver around these parts!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 11:19 AM   in reply to NAT WILSON

Mister Hunt, is there a mechanism here for uploading files?

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 11:23 AM   in reply to jeremy d.

Jeremy,

Unfortunately, that function has been disabled for some time. Adobe is working on plugging a security hole in it, but nothing has been announced as of yet. I was surprised the other day, as it seemed to come back, at least in this forum, but then disappeared as quickly, as it re-appeared.

The best way to accomplish this now, until the forum feature is re-activated, would be to post to an FTP site, or perhaps to PM a link to a service, like YouSendIt.

We used that feature a lot for log files, and diagnostic text files, but some users seemed to want to upload all sorts of nefarious "stuff."

I just hope that Adobe can fix the security hole and re-institute that feature.

Sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 11:41 AM   in reply to jeremy d.

Dulicate bug reports just get marked as duplicates and closed.

Sorry, didn't mean to come across that way. I meant that the people who where experiencing this problem should send one report so you could have more information about the bug and know that this is not an isolated problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:15 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

Jeff will tell you, I am emoticonically challenged

But you've got a cool avatar.  So that kind of makes up for it.

"See if you can guess, what I am now" ---->      :-|8

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:31 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Did you really go there?

The answer is, of course, a zit.

"See if you can guess, what I am now" ---->      :-|8

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:32 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

...but we digress.

I'll download your project, Nat, and I'll also look at one that I already have.

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:34 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

Yes, I went there.  My wife says that I am a P-I-G pig.

(Apologies to all for the OT post(s).  I'll crawl back into my cave now.)

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:39 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff,

Can I banish you to the corner, behind the plastic plant, just like you always do me?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:52 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 3:39 PM   in reply to NAT WILSON

Windows 7 x64, CS5 Production Premium

Intel 58X MB, i7 Core 920, 8 GB RAM, boot from 10K WD Raptor, edit from RAID 0 = 2 Seagate 500GB drives run from a Highpoint RAID controller.

Project created in CS4 and upgraded to CS5, Music videos, 4 camera multi-edit sequences.  All cameras are Sony professional or pro-sumer cameras.

At about 8 sequences the project file became bloated (825 MB) and I could no longer save, add or remove sequences from the time line or close the program.  Basically it loads as it was, I can play the vdeo in the timeline but anything else locks it up.

I was able to copy and paste a sequence to a new project but lost all my structure, but it does save.

I have submitted a bug report and I started my own thread before this one was pointed out to me.

I have other projects both created in CS5 and upgraded from CS4 but not edited enough to experience this problem yet.

I have thrown the CS5 promo listerature on the floor and  am stomping it as I write, I feel better with each heel grind.

Mel

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 4:50 PM   in reply to NAT WILSON

I was able to import my base sequence of the band's performance to a new project file.  It's 4 cameras in 1920 x 1440 by 83 minutes long.  I use it to cut out my indvidual songs.  It took almost 1/2 an hour but it worked and my base sequence (minus structure) is now 1.3 MB.  A tiny little bugger if ever there was one!

I'm picking the Adobe promo literature up off the floor now....no need to fear, no more stomping today.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 6:38 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

jeremy d. wrote:

...but we digress.

Jeremy,

Did you get a chance to look at these projects?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 7:14 PM   in reply to tclark513

I tried one of my projects first, but the results were inconclusive, so I'll move on to yours next.

tclark513 wrote:

jeremy d. wrote:

...but we digress.

Jeremy,

Did you get a chance to look at these projects?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2010 10:51 PM   in reply to jeremy d.

I just found this thread after sufferingthe same problem.  So far it is just the 1 project

, but it takes nearly 10 minutes to load and then will not Save.  My project file is quite a bit large

r than the others, but not bloated to the size other people are reporting.  I haven't tried Jeremy's workaround yet, but I'll try it next.

One thing though.  I started as CS4 project and am opening it in CS4.  I don't have CS5 yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 7:48 AM   in reply to jeremy d.

Thanks Jeremy for the update!

I am real curious on what you find.

More and more people are starting to have this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 8:31 AM   in reply to tclark513

I'll let you know.

My money's on the media. I bet the three of you have some formats in common.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 10:00 AM   in reply to jeremy d.

Just regular old HDV...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points