Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy video on blazing fast connection

May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, we just set up FMS and basically what's happening is im using the standard run-of-the mill FLVplayback component and I try to run a video (an MP4) file which is streamed through FMS. The video plays, but intermittently chops.

Next test:

Akamai SMIL file with sthe same player plays totally smoothe, no problems.

Next test:

Put new video on FMS server (video chops intermittently) - we  then go right next to the server, with literally a 300K second download speed. Still chops.

Next test:

Try different media, same thing.

So essentially the FMS server CANNOT stream any videos properly. Its not a bandwidth issue, and it makes no sense.

I try different video players, tried changing the bufferTime properties, same thing. The FMS server is running at 0% cpu and is a fast machien.

Any ideas? FMS settings I can do to get optimal performance?

Austin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what bitrate is the video encoded at.......where did you get the .flv? we need to rule out that your video is not  the problem send it to me as attachment and i will play it on my server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encoded 4 different videos at different bitrates, 300k, 600k, 900k, 1400k. All play totally fine when played locally. When they get streamed they chop.

I then take a piece of media from Adobe, encoded H264 MP4 file and this plays totally fine locally, but when streamed from FMS chops completely.

I can then play a video from Akamai's FMS server, no issue and smoothe.Same video will play differently on our FMS server.

Austin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess i should say "stutters" which is the better word.

Austin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are the video window size on both sites? I'm guessing this isn't the problem so there is a setting in the xml configuration file called cache and you should set this i'll bring up my config folder and be more specific in my next post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try increaseing this parameter in server.xml <MaxKeyframeCacheSize>0</MaxKeyframeCacheSize>....change it to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video media size in the FLV playback is 800 x 349.

We tried changing the MaxKeyframeCacheSize property to 100 and we didnt get any change.

We tried running the video just as progressive download and that works totally fine - meaning its not a bandwidth issue at all. Its a streaming issue with rtmp.

Austin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well first of all your video playback componet has a  huge area try to

change it to 320 x 240 also

try using rtmpt intstead of rtmp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed the flv video settings to 320x240 - same issue - stutters.

Changed the protocol to rtmptand it stopped working.

Austin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zip the stutter flv file. I want to try to play it on my server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its video from adobe's site

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/developer/h264_as3_samples.zip

austin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have enough exsperience with mp4 to help you i can't get it to play with my player

only .flv.......sorry and I wish you luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually just test media, FLV or MP4 have the same problem streaming.The real media we want to stream is flv, but basically we've isolated it makes no difference with media.

I just put that up just as a test. I think it's a server setting which is causing all of these issues.

Austin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What O/S are you using ? maybe you have a bad install of FMS can you install the developer edition on a test desktop computer and see if you have the same problem....if you do then you will know its the default  FMS configuration if not then you can almost garuntee Operating Systerm or FMS install is culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines