Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you add/delete image(s) to a collection in Lightroom?

May 27, 2010 3:45 PM

Sometimes, the simplest things are not well documented, or not readily documented at all.

I created a new standard collection that is empty and would like to add chosen images to this collection. I cannot find the way to do this in LR Classroom In A Book or in Help. Please help me with the best way to add single images that I have highlighted, or selected images that I have tagged with a color designation. I would also like to be able to remove images at random from this collection, so also need to know the best way to do that.

I have tried right clicking on the collection as well as searched the menus to no avail.

TIA,

Ken

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 27, 2010 3:54 PM   in reply to Saskatchewanobie

To add to a collection: select the images in the grid, then point the mouse at the image itslef and drag into the collection

To delete from a collection: select the image in the collection and then hit the Delete key on your keyboard

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2010 4:57 PM   in reply to Saskatchewanobie

Saskatchewanobie,

I guess what you were looking for is this section in the manual. I think it's a bit hidden, and I'm surprised that in the German version of the manual the entire section "Photo collections" is organized differently and much clearer than in the English version (e.g. "Add photos to a collection" is right under "Photo collections").

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 3:44 AM   in reply to Saskatchewanobie

If you want to use a normal collection, in Library Module:

• Chose "All Photographs" in the folder panel
    • Activate an Attribute Filter for ColorLabel=Red
    • Select all shown photos (Ctrl-A / Cmd-A)
    • Drag the selected images with the mouse into the Collection you've set up before
      or
      Create a new Collection, selecting the "Include Selected Photos" option

Another way of doing it would be to create a Smart Collection, specifying ColorLabel = "red" as the inclusion critera. But be aware, you cannot add images to Smart Collections by dragging them there, just by specifying rules which images should be contained in them.

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 1:20 PM   in reply to Saskatchewanobie

You have to grab in the center of a thumbnail, where the image shows, not in a frame.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2010 8:44 PM   in reply to Saskatchewanobie

Another way to do this is to set your collection as the target collection for the quick collection feature. To do this, right (or ctrl) cick on your collection and select "Set as Target Collection". Now when you select an image you can hit the B key and they will get added to that collection. Don't forget to set the target collection back to your Quick Collection afterwards. The target collection is shown by a small plus behind its name.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points