Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Movie Export settings

May 31, 2010 10:15 AM

I’ve recorded some HDV 1080i on a Sony HDR-HC1 and want to export and compress this in Elements to post on YouTube and Facebook.  The Export Movie Settings are dizzying and only the basic mechanics are documented.

The first General settings consist of File Types Microsoft AVI, Uncompressed Microsoft AVI, Microsoft DV AVI, and QuickTime, along with a number of settings that don’t appear to have that much to do with exporting a movie:  Audio Interchange File Format, Windows Bitmap, Filmstrip, Animated GIF, GIF, JPEG, Targa(?), TIFF, and Windows Waveform.

With Microsoft AVI, the Video settings have a number of compressor settings, Cinepak Codec by Radius, 2 different Intel IYUV codecs, Microsoft RLE, Microsoft Video 1, Uncompressed UYVY 422 8bit, and None.

With QuickTime there are 27 Compressors, including DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, H.264, MPEG-4 Video, and Uncompressed YUV 8 bit 4:2:2.

Some of these compressors have their own configurations, for example, the Microsoft Video 1 compressor has a Temporal Quality Ratio which defaulted to 0.75.  Any idea what this is??

Depending on the compressor you can select 256 colors, Thousands of colors or Millions of colors.

The next settings are Frame Size, Frame Rate, Pixel Aspect Ratio, Quality and Data Rate.

The next settings are Keyframe and Rendering, including Use Project Setting, 8-bit and Maximum, then Fields including No Fields, Upper Field First, and Lower Field First, a checkbox for Deinterlace Video Footage and another checkbox for Optimize Stills.  Then a setting for Keyframe Every n frames.

The last settings are for Audio and include Compressor (most of which are Uncompressed), Sample Rate, Sample Type, Channels and Interleave.

If I want to compress this 4X from the original MPEG size to satisfy file size requirements and have it look as good as I can on the Internet which settings should I use?

I’ve been experimenting with Microsoft AVI and QuickTime because they seem to have the most flexibility, there’s not much flexibility with Microsoft DV AVI, I’m not sure I understand why.

Seems like my biggest lever would be with Frame Size, I’m going to do some experiments with 360 x 243 and a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.2 to reserve 16:9.

Another big lever would be Color Depth, but most of the compressors only allow Millions of colors, one of few that allows fewer colors is the Microsoft Video 1 compressor which allows Thousands of colors.

The Quality setting makes a big impact on file size, seems if I keep this above 85% it still looks reasonable.

I’m assuming I want to set the Deinterlace Video Footage checkbox.

Any other general insight?  Are there better choices for File Type, Compressor, or any of the settings?  I'm really struggling to get the filesize down and keep the quality viewable.

I would definitely appreciate any help with this!

paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2010 10:40 AM   in reply to PaulJ4

Hey paul

Best format for uploading on youtube or facebook is flv and 3gp (quality is not optimum though)..

You can also export to mov ..the file size wud be small,at the same time, keeping a good quality.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2010 11:52 AM   in reply to PaulJ4

Paul,

The three most popular formats/CODEC's are FLV, H.264 and WMV. Each allows some adjustment that will affect the resultant file size. Each has pluses and minuses. This FAQ Entry might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2010 11:52 AM   in reply to PaulJ4

Depending on one's version of PrE, the Export has mostly been moved to Share. In older versions, there were more choices under Export, but they are very limited, as of PrE 8.

Good luck, and glad that you found what you needed,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

What would you recommend for exporting for best quality with PE11?

So far it looks great in PE11, but as soon as I export it with any of the share options, it becomes nearly blurry.

Thanks,

Vince

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to Vidis3

Vince,

What do you plan on doing with that Exported file? Do you plan on delivering it to be played on a computer, and if so, a PC, or a Mac, or both?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 9:52 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi Hunt, 

For the most part Youtube, but also for dvd

I'm using MacBook, but the client is on a PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Vidis3

OK, for YouTube, then outputting an HD Timeline to 1920 x 1080 with the settings in this FAQ Entry, should be just fine: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2759311#2759311

For DVD-Video, an HD Project will need to be down-rezzed to SD and Encoded with the MPEG-2 DVD CODEC. There are several workflows for this, and the method chosen will depend on what program one is using to author the DVD-Video.

For exchange between a PC and a Mac, MPEG is a good choice, and the H.264 CODEC does a good job, yielding an MP4. If the PC-user has Apple's QT Player (latest version) installed, then the MOV wrapper should work fine, as will MP4.

Formats like WMV, most AVI's, and a few more, are platform-specific, and one would need to coordinate between the two platforms, to get them to work. I would stay away from those.

For streaming, the DivX CODEC is a good one, but one would need to have that installed on each computer, or use a player, that has its own CODEC's, like VLC Player, or MediaPlayer Classic HC. There are probably more, but those are the two that I use most often on my PC.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks very much!  I'll give it a go!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Vidis3

Try this setting for YT and FB.

Change tv standard and framerate if necesary.

If you want 720p set VBR2 to 5 Mbps.

YT settings.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

I'm changing around some presets and little by little it seems to be improving. Thanks!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points