Skip navigation
Lelldorianx
Currently Being Moderated

Project Files vanished?

Jun 3, 2010 11:17 AM

So I spent about 2 weeks editing a video in Premiere Pro CS3 ext. I had roughly 5 project files, all complete, and 1 in progress (6 total). I'm not sure what the hell happened, but one day the files all just disappeared. I can't find them anywhere. Not in the recycling bin, not with system restores, nowhere. I definitely did not delete them and no one else uses my computer.

The only thing I can possibly think of (though cannot confirm/deny) is that I made a ghost image of my hard drive for backup purposes. Is it possible that the files would delete themselves while making an image? All of my other files are here, even programs, but not the prproj files. They also are not on the backed up drive...

All the images used to create the video still exist, so do the videos and music... I really need to find these project files guys. Help?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2010 1:41 PM   in reply to Lelldorianx

Ghost should not have had any role in this.

First thing that I would do would be to Search my entire system for .PRPROJ files (the Project files). I have heard of them becoming unlinked in the Recent Projects, but never of them being Deleted from the system.

Let us know if you do find them somewhere, and then Open some in PrPro to test.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 9:06 PM   in reply to Lelldorianx

Billl Hunt recommended you  "SEARCHED" your system for .".ppj" files"

What does "indexed" mean?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2010 11:54 PM   in reply to shooternz

I assume he turned search indexing on. It is a sure method used to slow any system to a crawl.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 1:14 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Indexing is just a way to cache windows searches so that it goes quicker. That said, what Harm said about it, is true.

As for the core of the problem, if you have autosave on, maybe you can find your project files there. Default setting is saving backup files every 20 minutes, so what you're looking for is a folder called: Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save

Saving frequency is dependant upon your settings though, which is something you can set up in your Premiere Pro preferences (Edit - Preferences - Auto Save).

Where those files are put, depends on where you save your project. So if you save it on D:\MyProject\

autosave files will be put under Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save under that folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2010 8:10 PM   in reply to Lelldorianx

If you have done a Search of your entire system, and do not have the PRPROJ files, then something horrible has happened to them. This will have come from some source beyond PrPro, as it will not Delete, or Move any files on an HDD. It will overwrite existing PRPROJ files, if one does the wrong things, but that is it.

Could it be that you were using an external, that is not currently hooked to the system?

Could it be that you were using a networked drive, that is currently not hooked up to the system, or maybe was mapped, but is not now?

Like I said, PrPro will not affect your files on the HDD. Something else is afoot.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points