No MPEG preview or playback in Bridge CS5

Jun 3, 2010 7:23 PM

Latest reply: rogersphoto.com, Feb 1, 2012 8:12 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2010 8:36 AM   in reply to rickg1949

Rick,

Here's what puzzle me:

If your WMP can play your HD mpeg  file, why should you need to install other codec?

It also means that WMP is able to locate (or associate if you like) the correct dll (or codec or whatever engine you want to call) to play your file.

See what I am getting at?  I could be wrong, but I think your Bridge has either two issues:

(1)  It has sourced (I'm a unix boy so excuse that term) the correct dll, but unable to preview (which really is just passing your mpeg file to the source) because the cached version (not your original mpeg file) is in limbo state.  When you purge, you flush out the old and regenerate a new version of the mpeg file in the Bridge's cache.

(2)  Your Bridge is confused and doesn't know which is the correct dll to source.  This is when you go in and tell Bridge which dll to use (the associate thing...).

BTW, what is the size of your mpeg file?  Is there a file size limitation for Bridge to preview?  Might be worth getting an Adobe expert to confirm this...

Also have you play around with the Cache Size (between 10,000 to 500,000) in Preference > Cache?

How old is your camera?  Silly question but is the file that comes out of your camera compatible with 64-BIT OS?  WMP can play it because it has a huge library to look things up ... Bridge on the other hand, doesn't know about this huge library.

Sorry I'm running out of idea... honestly I rarely have anything to do with mpeg files.  I'm a still boy who have recently caught onto DSLR video and hence stumbled accross your issue, but with .mov files...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2010 12:09 PM   in reply to rickg1949

The way I read that error message, Bridge, for some reason, couldn't find Windows Media Player in it's default location. I copied the whole wmp folder and pasted it on my D: (Storage) drive. I went into Bridge preferences and pointed to this copy of the player. After a reboot, everything is as it should be. That CODEC Pack was not necessary. I agree with the previous post that advises avoiding adding any CODEC Packs if you don't absolutely have to. Before I hit on this solution, I also cleared the cache and reset Bridge preferences to default (hold down ctrl + alt while starting Bridge.) I realize that it's been a while since anyone posted to this thread, but I thought that my experience may be of use to someone experiencing this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2010 11:38 AM   in reply to rickg1949

In a recent thread on the Premiere Pro user-to-user forum, a user's problem was traced back to an installation of K-Lite, and it was indicated that installation of K-Lite was recommended on this thread.

So, here I am to make this clear:

The K-Lite codec pack severely impairs the functioning of many video applications, including Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Adobe Media Encoder.

Note the warning on the K-Lite download here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/codec-packs

"Warning! If you install all the included codecs/decoders you might get problem with other video software on your computer."

Heed that warning.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2010 4:58 PM   in reply to rickg1949

The problem I was having was with .m2ts files which is a Sony AVCHD wrapper for HD mpeg files. I would double click on the thumbnail in Bridge and get the same error message you reported. If I go into Bridge preferences and point to the Windows Media Player in it's default location, I get the same error. But, if I point to the copy of media player that I moved to a new location, a media player window pops up and plays the file. I have no clue as to why this worked for me, but it did. Navigate to C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS5 and find a file named Adobe Bridge Opener Preferences.xml. Open it in Notepad and look for a line that looks something like this:

<item description="$$

$/Bridge/OpenersXML/Description/MPEGMedia=MPEG Media" extensions="mpeg mpg m2ts" app_name="OS" app_path="D:\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe">. (They're in alphabetical order by description.) The app_path here is the location where I placed an exact copy of the Windows Media Player folder that is located in C:\Program Files (x86). The m2ts, I added myself.

As far as the CODEC Pack goes, I assume that there's no entry in Control Panel->Programs and Features (Win7) or Add/Remove Programs on earlier releases. If that's the case, you'll need to restore from a backup that's as close as possible to right before you installed the pack. Make sure you backup any files that you want to keep that you've produced or saved since then. If no backup is available, you may need to reinstall the system and CS5.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 8, 2010 12:29 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hi Todd.

Warning heeded.  I removed K-lite some time ago as I was unhappy with 3rd party codecs...

But rather than telling us what we shouldn't do, does Adobe have any advice on what we should do?  I remain unable to preview mpeg files (Z1 HDV) in Bridge on both my main editing PC and my laptop.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2010 3:37 AM   in reply to rickg1949

I found this thread at Major Geeks that may be helpful http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=148496

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2010 9:39 PM   in reply to rickg1949

Have you checked your file associations settings for mpeg files? In Windows 7, go to Control Panel->Programs->Default Programs->Set Associations. I don't have a Vista machine handy, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Scroll down to the file extension you're having a problem with and make sure current default is set to Windows Media Player. Aside from that, I'm pretty much out of suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Oct 11, 2010 12:07 AM   in reply to TTweite

Nope TTweite, no amount of associating files in either Windows 7 or Bridge will make Mpegs play in the preview panel.

Both my laptop and my main PC have had Windows 7 and Adobe Production Bundle CS5 reinstalled at least one, so whatever is causing the problem is neither random nor inconsistent.

Come on Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2010 5:31 PM   in reply to rickg1949

This is a novice question to you but "why do you need  to play video files

in Bridge"?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2010 6:49 PM   in reply to rickg1949

Rick,

Thanks for your explanation. My video projects and still work are pretty

much separate entities; your work seems to be more multimedia.

Very interesting. I hope you get the issue resolved.

CC

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 4:19 PM   in reply to rickg1949

FWIW, I'm currently trying to find a resolution to this issue. My normal job is technical support for Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Adobe Media Encoder, but I thought that I should try to help out on this Bridge issue---if only because it may keep more people from installing damaging third-party codec packs that make my life h*** when trying to support those video applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2010 7:30 PM   in reply to rickg1949

Thanks, Todd!

I'm subscribed to this thread and will be interested to see how it turns out.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2010 2:05 AM   in reply to rickg1949

Bridge Dev is investigating on this issue. We will try to find out a possible workaround so that it will not break your workflow.

- Xiaofeng

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 30, 2010 5:44 PM   in reply to Xiaofeng Zhao

This is good news, this has been a pita for me ever since CS4, although it did work at the beginning.

The Bridge is also part of my workflow.

As a workaround i use Cineform avi's which play just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2010 2:58 AM   in reply to rickg1949

I am also having this problem. Clean install on brand new PC.

Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit

The .mpg thumbnails display correctly in the 'Content' panel. However the 'Preview' panel simply displays the MPEG icon and preview is not available.

Double clicking the thumbnail in 'Content' correctly opens the selected .mpg in my video player... So looks like that is how I will be previewing my videos.

I have tried the File Association > Cache Purge tip mentioned earlier... no difference.

Extremely frustrating as 90% of all my video files are in .mpg format.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Nov 19, 2010 3:09 AM   in reply to sittinghair

It clearly is a bug and, as of last month, it looks as though Adobe has finally recognised the issue.  Thanks, Todd.  Let's hope to see the fruits of your labour soon!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 7:04 AM   in reply to rickg1949

> Hope you're right!  I have been corresponding with the Adobe Support Portal.  They have had me try the same solutions over again without any success.  Even asked me to run the "Content Disk" in the installation package but the only thing on that disk are the PDF's in every language, no CODECs or player programs of course.

Please email me the case number for this conversation (to kopriva -at- adobe -dot- com).

The support agents shouldn't be sending you around in circles like this.

Here's what's going on:

Previous versions of After Effects and Premiere Pro installed both DLLs and ActiveX controls for codecs licensed from a third party. After Effects CS5 and Premiere Pro CS5 only install the DLLs, because we don't need the ActiveX controls, and they were just causing problems. Unknown to us, Bridge was relying on those ActiveX controls being installed. So, Bridge CS5---not having these codecs---can't play some kinds of files.

Windows 7 installs some of the required codecs as part of the operating system; Windows Vista doesn't. That's why you're seeing different behavior between Vista and Windows 7.

The long-term solution would be to have Bridge install its own codecs.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Nov 22, 2010 7:19 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Thanks for the clarification Todd.

However, I have Win 7 64 installed, and I am unable to

view MPEGs in Bridge.  Which version of Win 7 installs the codecs that Bridge requires?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 7:26 AM   in reply to Jon-M-Spear

> However, I have Win 7 64 installed, and I am unable to

view MPEGs in Bridge.  Which version of Win 7 installs the codecs that Bridge requires?

I said "some of". Some things work; some don't. I'm not certain of what codecs Windows 7 installs that Bridge is using.

My detailed and certain knowledge ends at After Effects and Premiere Pro. I'm just sticking my nose into this Bridge stuff far enough to make sure that people stop installing damaging freeware codecs packs that make After Effects and Premiere Pro stop working.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 8:17 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Can you tell us which ActiveX controls might solve the problem? I still run CS4 on my laptop because it's a 32-bit machine. If I knew which files I need, it would be simple enough to copy and paste them into the CS5 install on my production machine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Nov 22, 2010 8:25 AM   in reply to TTweite

Tee hee.  I thought you'd opened up a can of worms when you mentioned what you did, Todd!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2010 8:45 AM   in reply to TTweite

> If I knew which files I need, it would be simple enough to copy and paste them into the CS5 install on my production machine.

The codecs are licensed for use by specific products, so I won't be telling you how to copy them over for use by other products.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2010 8:43 PM   in reply to rickg1949

Man I had really hoped that this last update would fix the mpeg playback problem..........

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Dec 2, 2010 3:32 AM   in reply to DreamCaptureMedia

My heart skipped a beat too.  It was the first thing I tried after installing.  D-oh!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2010 1:59 AM   in reply to rickg1949

The latest Bridge patch 4.0.4 provides preview function to MPEG2-PS format files.  Due to system limitation, currently Bridge can not playback MPEG2-TS files.

Thanks,

Bridge QE

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to rickg1949

YES i got my mpeg preview back.

Thank you guys for the update (4.0.4.2)

lola

|
    Mark as:
  • Jon-M-Spear
    969 posts
    Jan 27, 2006
    Dec 8, 2010 12:42 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

What do you mean you've got your mpeg previews back, Ann? What have you done that I haven't?

I updated to the latest release, but to no avail.  I didn't think this latest fix addressed that issue.  What is the source of your mpegs, are they HD?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 8, 2010 9:59 AM   in reply to rickg1949

The fix in the Bridge 4.0.4 update only adds support for preview of some files, not all.

Rick, as I think I've said several times before: Your issue is not something that Technical Support can help you with. It's a deficiency in the software. The codecs aren't there. They were installed by After Effects and Premiere Pro in CS4; they aren't in CS5. Bridge therefore doesn't have access to a component that it needs. This is a bug. The Bridge team can't fix this bug without licensing and installing codecs, which they have not done for CS5.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points