Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS SDK bugs

Jun 6, 2010 5:26 AM

I have come across a few bugs in the CS SDK while working with it.

I'm starting a thread of bugs that I've found (and I'll try to remember as many as I can...). Hopefully having all these bugs in one place will make it easier for the CS SDK team to address them.

If anyone else finds bugs, please add them to this thread!

Harbs

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2010 12:56 PM   in reply to Harbs.

Harbs,

Thanks for taking the time and taking the initiative and starting this thread- hopefully the reporting can be streamlined further at some point, and we are capturing these right now (some I believe may be known issues and some are perhaps new reports). This is very helpful.

Best wishes

Ian

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 3:02 PM   in reply to Harbs.

Harbs,

Thanks for reporting these issues, I have filed bugs on most of them already, except the couple ComboBox issues (#5 and #6).  I am having hard time re-producing them in the Mac 10.6.3.  I am wondering which platform and OS are you running?  One thing I noticed seems to be similar to what you found in issue #5 is if I switch out of ID and back, sometimes, the first click on the ComboBox will show a disable list for quick moment and then it disappeared.  Then the second click on the ComboBox will resume back to normal.  Is this issue #5 you're seeing?

I am not able to reproduce the scroll wheel crash yet, I assume you are talking about when you click on a ComboBox with lots of list items, and it shows a scrollable box for all the items and you can use the scroll wheel to scroll the list?  May I ask how many items are in your ComboBox and can I get your ComboBox and its data provider definition from your mxml?  Or you're seeing this in other extension's ComboBox too?

Thanks!

lee

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 7, 2010 3:49 PM   in reply to Harbs.

Harbs,

Thanks for the reply.  I've logged a bug on the disable popup issue.  It seems to me you always get the problem as long as you click on the item's name part of the ComboBox, as opposed to the dropdown arrow part, which will be fine.

I will try to populate a large ComboBox to see if I can crash ID. 

Thanks again!

lee

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 7:04 PM   in reply to Harbs.

Thanks, Harbs!

I can add a couple of cents here.

#8. Panels in different folders.

It's more related to CS Extension Builder on Windows.

When I use "Debug As" (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) - doesn't matter, the temporary panel files are being written to [User]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CS5ServiceManager\extensions. While, when I install the panel with Extension manager, it mysteriousely installs the panel into "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CS5ServiceManager\extensions\". So after the debugging I have two versions of my panel and CS Suite seems to use the one in [User]\AppData while Extension manager uses the one in Common Files. So when I uninstall or reinstall panels after debugging (or Attach As) - the debug files remain in [User] folder and are being used by CS Suite.

It's very confusing, when I finish the debug session, CS Suite still thinks I'm using the debug version of the panel, no matter what do I install or write into

Common Files folder.

I can say more. Some of the users of my MagicPicker color wheel panel report that files are being installed into [User]\AppData folder with extension manager and some of them to Common Files. Sometimes it makes a mess with permissions and panels fail to install on some machines with UAC control turned on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 11:30 AM   in reply to Anastasiy Safari

#9 Photoshop minimum panel size (Windows)

The Photoshop panel cannot be scaled less than 132px on Windows. It's an important feature for some panels.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2010 6:04 AM   in reply to Harbs.

Harbs,

This is a known issue with drag and drop functionality which we will look into. I believe it is mentioned in the release notes for ExtBuilder (and perhaps also CS SDK).

There is one "workaround" we're aware of right now. If you perform the drag and drop operation with your extension running in release mode, or in debug mode after hitting stop to disconnect the ExtBuilder debugger, then you should observe that the operation completes as normal. Basically the exception that gets thrown doesn't seem to be related to the success of the operation.

Obviously this is a less than ideal workaround, but hopefully this helps.

David.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2010 7:48 PM   in reply to Harbs.

#14. CSXSWindowedApplication "close" event is not fired on Illustrator

It's impossible to find out if the panel is closed on Illustrator. When it's closed or hidden - and then you open it, there are  no initialization (applicationComplete etc.)  or close events fired.

(Minor issue, the same situtation is with Dreamweaver )

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 20, 2010 5:21 PM   in reply to Harbs.

Hi,

I wanted to let you know all the issues raised here are now in the bug system (although some yet to be verified).  Also I wanted to let you know you can enter bug/feature request now through the following link:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Please pick Creative Suite Extension Builder or Creative Suite SDK as the product name so the proper bug category can be entered.

Thanks for all your reports!

lee

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 2:42 AM   in reply to LeeHuang

Would it be an idea to create a project on bugs.adobe.com for CS SDK issues? This is in my opinion more open and suitable for bug reporting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 2:56 AM   in reply to Harbs.

On #13 StateChangeEvents not working

Note: just tested this in a sample app, WINDOW_OPEN and WINDOW_CLOSE are also not firing in my environment.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2010 12:12 PM   in reply to Harbs.

#15. app object is not accessible in creationComplete event of CSXSWindowedApplication

When using embedded JSX script, the access try to app object in Photoshop CS5 causes an Exception on Mac OS.

Discussion is here near the end.

It seems it is not accessible in some other events as well on MacOS

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2010 1:07 AM   in reply to Harbs.

#16 Flyout submenu items are not visible

Used the sample from the API docs: http://cssdk.host.adobe.com/sdk/1.0/docs/WebHelp/references/csxslib/co m/adobe/csxs/core/CSXSInterface.html#setPanelMenu()

Main menu items are visible, sub menu items are not.

Some extra notes on the flyout menus:

1. The xml structure is an easy way of defining a menu structure, it's missing some features though comparing it to a NativeMenuItem, functionality I'm missing most:
      1. Assign keyboard shortcut (keyEquivalent and keyEquivalentModifiers)
      2. Disable menu item (enabled property)
    2. The documentation contains a typo: "setPanelMenu(xmlKulerMenu);" which must be "setPanelMenu(xmlMyMenu);"

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jul 28, 2010 2:09 AM   in reply to Harbs.

On Mac 10.6.4, Photoshop routinely crashes with a stack trace pointing to the swf  package

in PSD. This occurs when a panel I wrote loads. The panel gets mouse focus events and as the event frequency increases

the crash happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2010 2:56 PM   in reply to Harbs.

Everyone:

Thanks for the reports. We're looking at them.

Harbs

I'll have a look at that later today or tomorrow AM.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2010 5:34 PM   in reply to Bob Stucky

#18. CONFLICT between panels and Type Tool in Photoshop (and Photoshop Cs5 only)

I found this on Windows - didn't try on Mac. If I choose a Type Tool in  Photoshop, enter a text and then leave this Text layer selected and  editable, then open a panel:

a) The panel is irresponsible - neither keyboard nor mouse don't interact with panel's interface

b) If I call app.foregroundColor from JSX (embedded), I got the following exception:

"

Error: General Photoshop error occurred. This functionality may not be available in this version of Photoshop.

- The command "Get" is not currently available.

"

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2010 6:05 AM   in reply to Bob Stucky

#19. Illustrator and docked (iconed) state of the panel

If  you dock the panel to the iconed state (docked to the pane of icons),  so the window is not visible. Then close Illustrator and open it again,  the panel disappears from the icons pane and should be opened again from  Window | Extensions | [Panel name Here].

Then, if you  set the panel's width in CSXSWindowedApplication's applicationComplete,  and the panel was docked into the iconed state - it will open and all  panels that are docked together with it in same pane will be opened as  well .

(For example, in Photoshop and other applications, the  panel's window remains in the iconed state, if I set the panel's width  in the code.).

iconedp.png

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2010 5:04 AM   in reply to Harbs.

I get the same error in InDesign while trying to get Character contents.

I loop through a paragraph characters and I need to check if the content of every character is a SpecialCharacter enumerator (eg. a FORCED_LINE_BREAK...).

Both this way of getting content return me an error:

var myChar:Character = myParagraph.characters.item(a);

var myChar:Object = myParagraph.characters.item(a).contents;

The error is the following:

Error occurred: In wrapReturnedHostObject(), attempted invelid wrap: com.adobe.indesign::Enumerator returned as Object

Do you guys know any workaround for this?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2010 2:40 PM   in reply to Emanuele Radaelli

Hi Emanuele,

This does look like a problem in the CSAW lib for InDesign--a character's content might be a string, a special characters enumeration, or a page item (there are probably a few other possibilities I'm not thinking of right now).

I can think of several workarounds--but I'd like to know more about what you're trying to do. Is there some reason that you need to loop through the characters? You could use findText to find all of the special characters directly, without having to iterate. If you do that, you can work with the character object without ever having to get its contents. Let me know what you're trying to do, and I can provide some example code.

If you do need to iterate through the characters, you can try something like this:

//Given a character reference "character"...
    try{
         var contents:Object = Object(character.contents);
    }
    catch(error:Error){
         app.findTextPreferences = NothingEnum.NOTHING as FindTextPreference;
         app.findTextPreferences.findWhat = "^R";
         var foundItems:Object = character.findText();
         if(foundItems.length > 0){
              trace("Character contains a frame break character");
         }
         app.findTextPreferences = NothingEnum.NOTHING as FindTextPreference;
    }

Thanks,

Ole

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2010 2:58 AM   in reply to Olav Martin Kvern

Thanks Olav,

I did it like you but using a doScript in the "catch".

That's because a simple JS code executed by InDesign in InDesign could easily return the right character value (even if it's a special character) as string.

var myCharacter:Character = myParagraph.characters.item(b);

var myCharacterContent:String = "";

try{

myCharacterContent = myCharacter.contents.toString();

}catch(e:Error){

app.doScript("hereGoesMyScript", ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, null, null, null) as String;

switch(returnedValue){

case "FORCED_LINE_BREAK":

returnedValue = "<br/>";

break;

case "EN_DASH":

returnedValue = "-";

break;

case "SINGLE_RIGHT_QUOTE":

returnedValue = "'";

break;

}

myCharacterContent = returnedValue;