Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Merge To HDR Pro hangs Photoshop (Win 7, 64-bit)

Jan 3, 2012 11:12 AM

Hi,

I've had Photoshop CS5 Extended for about 2 weeks. I'm using the 64 bit version with Windows 7 64 bit. So far it's been working ok but I'm now getting an issue with 'Merge to HDR Pro'. Once I've entered my settings and clicked 'ok' Photoshop stops responding. I have to start the 'Task Manager' and force quit Photoshop.

Is this a common issue or am I the only one whose getting it? Is there a solution?

Thanks

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2010 1:08 PM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

You mean it hangs or freezes Photoshop, not crashes.

No, I haven't seen too many reports of that.

Can you give us more details about your system and what sort of files you're using as input to MergeToHDRPro ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 5:20 AM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

I am sure that HDR Pro is not crashed  Photoshop.   Try following: check your original files ( files that you want to merge ). Check exposures( may be Photoshop can’t to merge the files because some of them are in the same exposures and  program trying to analyze it and that is why it is taking more time than usual)

Victoria Pavlov

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 8, 2010 6:04 AM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

To build on what Victoria said, the operation can take a very long time, especially with large files and/or a lot of files...  Have you allowed it enough time?  Start a Merge to HDR Pro operation some time when you're leaving the computer, and let it run for many minutes.

No matter how powerful a computer the hardware people invent, the software people will invent software to bog it down.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 8:00 AM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

Are you trying to merge the same files? If yes, please try others( I don’t want to say that anything is wrong with your files..just want to try another files and see how  the program will respond)

Victoria

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 8:40 AM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

I had to upgrade my video card to get the HDR Pro to work even though my oId one met the minimum requirements.  One thing to try is at the top of HDR Pro select 16-bit not 32-bit.  Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 8:47 AM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

Have you also made sure that the scratch files have been deleted. It may be that when the process is working through, it either does not have enough space or the space it is using is fragmented. Just a thought.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 12:15 AM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

I don't think that the video card was at fault as it's not used for HDR processing. It also depends on what you mean by "hot" as high end video cards are built to withstand ~100 degrees C

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jun 9, 2010 5:40 AM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

Not to go against Zeno here, but I've read of accounts of system lockups due to nVidia cards on the Windows forums.  There was a driver version from nVidia that didn't manage the cooling system as well as it could and some systems actually sustained damage.  Check your driver version.

While we're on the subject of hardware issues, you should check your system event log to see if anything has shown up there.  I've had a couple of occasions where Photoshop CS5 x64 has stopped and I found drive controller errors logged on my drive D: hard drive both times, presumably during access of the Photoshop temp file.  I'm still looking into whether it's a hardware problem, but notably nothing else causes it (and I record lots of video to that drive).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 2:33 PM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

I am having a similiar problem; but on Mac.

I select 31 RAW images off a Canon 5D MK2; select merge in HDR Pro in Photoshop in Lightroom 3. It then takes several hours on my 2.8 GHz Quad Core Mac Pro w/10 gigs of RAM and 300+ gigs free on my temp drive. At that point the HDR box comes up with the merged image. I then make my adjustments and hit OK. At the point of hitting ok it seems to go to hell..

I then see a CS5 untitled-hdr.psds blank on background and 31 layers in the side box for <2 seconds. The layers then disappear and CS5 closes the untitled psd and acts liker it has nothing open. The first couple times I thought it might be doing something in the background and let it sit overnight... but the next morning still nothing.. I verified that no new image was in the source directory and searched my computer for any PSDs in the last 24 hours and none were found.  CS5 alsio shiwed in a normal state, but nothing to do with the HDR merging was in the recent history dialogue box either.

I noticed a patch was available, updated, resatarted, and repeated with same results.

I have tried in 8bit & 16bit modes as well as remove ghosts and not remove. When I try just 3 images it works.

Christopher

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 7:25 PM   in reply to crsouser

I also have problem with HDR Pro.  When in Bridge CS5, I've selected 3 different JPG files of different exposure settings, tried Tools/Photoshop/Merge to HDR Pro.  Then CS5 takes over and starts the Process, and then - nothing.  It all goes away.  Nothing else happens, at all.  I can restart my computer, and try with different files, with nothing else running and still have the same results.  Using Windows XP with 3.5G of ram.  Using another program called Photomatix Pro and it still works fine.  HDR in CS5 doesn't work at all for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 11:36 PM   in reply to scopen24

First suggestion: make sure you update to 12.0.1.

Second suggestion: if you copied plugins or scripts from an earlier version of Photoshop - get rid of them (you may have to reinstall CS5 to clean it up).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 4:47 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I am having same problem...from LR3 to CS5 via Merge to HDR Pro. Photoshop hangs up after rendering composite image.

I am merging 5 images with -2 to +2 stop range from LR3 into CS5 HDR Pro.  Running MacBook Pro, 8gb RAM, Snow Leopard. Photoshop is at most current version 12.0.1 x64. No plug-ins or presets from prior version (new install).

Any further thoughts to those in the prior comments?  Many thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2010 6:22 PM   in reply to cem1101

This is how I solved my problem.  I had installed an action - written in CS4 - by someone else that sent to me and installed into CS5.  The action worked, it just reduced a image size for digital projection. This was in a Windows XP with 4g of memory.

After that action install, HDR didn't work.

Uninstalled borrowed action, restarted computer and HDR started working again.

Why this action had anything to do with interferring with HDR, I don't know.  But it worked.

Recreated the action myself in 5 minutes.  And now everything works.

Go figure!

Now I have Windows 7 - i7 processor- 64bit with 6g of memory. Better graphics card.

CS5 work better but the real difference was in LR 2.7

I followed Chris Cox advise above and it worked.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2010 2:56 AM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

This issue is marked as possibly resolved, but I have the same problem and it has not been resolved.

I am running Windows XP and Photoshop CS5, which is fully updated to 12.0.1. When I load three files (I have tried RAW and JPEG) from Adobe Bridge to Photoshop>Merge to HDR Pro then Photoshop loads, and after a few seconds crashes and brings up a Windows dialog box stating that it has encountered an error, needs to close, do I want to send a report to Microsoft etc etc.

The first few times I tried this it worked, and then yesterday it started crashing. After it crashed a couple of times I left it, and it worked again later. Now it seems to crash every time. I had no previous versions so have not imported any settings. I saw something on another post from someone with a mac who said they deleted the "Adobe Photoshop CS5 Prefs" file, so tried this but no effect. I subsequently restored the file.

Help greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 30, 2010 1:59 PM   in reply to aidanrussell

Please look in your Windows event logs for specifics on the crash.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2010 10:52 AM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

Hello I am an experienced photoshop user and i need help with this topic

Info:

Im working on a Toshiba Tecra M7 Tablet

Windows 7 Ultimate N 32-bit (updated daily)

2GB Ram

2.0 Ghz Dual core centrino

Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M dedicated graphics (updated weekly)

Photoshop CS5 fully updated

Images are all originated from a Nikon D80 (RAW)

Im running into the following problem:

I open up 4 RAW images in Big Bridge. I select them and click tools, photoshop, Merge to HDRPro. This takes up to 5 min max, while it does its thing, and the HDR box pops up and i can mess around with the settings and ultimately save it. This works 99% of the time.

But, if i open a raw image into CameraRaw, and save it as a .jpg (12 quality) 4 times, with different exposure settings each time, and then try to merge those 4 .jpg immages into HDRPro it never works.

From Bridge, im selecting the 4 jpgs images i saved, then going tools, photoshop, merge to HDRPro. The photoshop window pops up, the jpgs are loaded to the layers, the actions cycle through all 4 pictures, (obviously a lot quicker than the 4 raw pictures) and BEFORE the Crop bar appears, (normally the last step when i merge the RAW pictures) all the layers dissapear from the list, and the HDR box never pops up. Photoshop is running, and nothing happens. No crash, no error.  I waited over 20 min.... and still nothing. I can even open other files and work them, i can run HDR pro on .raw files and it works without having to restart anything... but the jpgs never work, they just vanish and nothing happens.

Thought and help please...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2010 12:38 PM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

I get a somewhat different result, but equally dissatisfying.  I give it three RAW NEF images shot with a D90 using auto-bracketing... It works on them for quite a long time displaying various progress bars.  Just before it gets to the point where it puts up the dialog with the sample result everything goes away, and it acts like nothing ever happened.  It isn't hung... but there is no result.  It doesn't do this with every set of images I give it, but it happens every time with at least one set that I have.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2010 12:51 PM   in reply to MalamuteMan

A bit more info... If I export the NEFs to JPEGs I do not see this problem... Hmmm... Perhaps a memory issue...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2010 12:04 PM   in reply to MalamuteMan

Yep I have same problem merging Fuji S5 raw files using Mac version. It starts to open files then reverts to the opening screen. Even tried in 32 bit mode. There are other applications out there but since we've already paid for PS is would seem reasonable to have this work.

BW

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2011 4:29 PM   in reply to Basil Williams

Wow!  Glad I am not alone in having issues with HDR Pro in CS5  I too open 3 raw files from bridge that go through the process creating the layers then go blank as if nothing had been opened and stays like that.  It isn't freezing for I can open individual files just can not use HDR Pro.  I've tried all the above mentions to no avail.  I've used this successfully in the past now I can not use it at all.  It is important in my line of work in regards to shooting interiors.  This is something that needs to be fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2011 5:13 PM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

I have a similar problem on my MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard 4 Gb RAM, and lots of HD space). PS CS5 Extended 64 doesn't crash, but every time I attempt to merge more than three dng files, and occasionally just three files, each image loads into PS and then the document disappears. The more images in the stack, the longer it takes, but invariably the document closes before the HDR Pro dialogue opens.

I have successfully loaded three copies of the same image into HDR Pro, but never have I successfully merged more than three images, regardless of EV.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2011 8:04 PM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

I have the same problem after I applied the latest update. HDR pro and HDR toning now just crashes Photoshop. It was working nicely before and after the patch, it is now broken.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2011 9:09 PM   in reply to KenKHT69

1) Make sure you note what was happening when you send in the crash report

2) If you have a data set that crashes MergeToHDR, we need to get a copy of that data so we can reproduce the problem and find the bug.

At least one person was crashing due to corrupt preferences, but we haven't been able to figure out why yet (or reproduce the crash in house).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2011 8:27 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Here is some more info for you...

First... What happens is not what I (as a software developer) would describe as a "crash."  The system does not crash, Photoshop does not even crash; the dialogs associated with the function simply go away as if nothing had ever been done... and with no error message or explanation of any kind.

1. I initially discovered this problem on an XP system with 2 GB memory.

2. On that system I found that using 8-bit JPEGs rather than 16-bit NEFs remedies the problem.

3. I recently upgraded to a newer system (Win 7) with 6 GB memory, and found that the problem persists but is not quite as bad.  Now I can do a merge on TWO 16-bit NEFs (three is usually more than it can take).

This appears to be a memory issue, but it seems like 6 GB should be enough.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 17, 2011 9:33 AM   in reply to MalamuteMan

What do you have Photoshop's RAM usage set to in Edit - Preferences - Performance?  With 6 GB installed, you can usually safely push it up to 5 GB or maybe a little more.  That could help.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2011 9:39 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks for the tip Noel...

PS says this...

Available RAM: 5312 MB

Ideal Range: 2921-3824 MB

Let Photoshop Use: 3187 MB (60%)

I pushed it up to 4250 MB (80%)

I will see if that helps, and possibly push it up a bit higher if need be...

Thanks again,

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2011 10:58 AM   in reply to MalamuteMan

I was replying to Ken, who did say it crashed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2011 10:59 AM   in reply to MalamuteMan

And, again, it would be best if we could get the files and reproduce the problem (to see if we can fix it).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2011 11:05 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I will put something together for you... I will have to set my memory allocation back down so that I am sure I have a reproducible problem.  I'll get back to you...

-Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2011 10:40 PM   in reply to MalamuteMan

I have had the same freeze when choosing Merge to HDR Pro. I have an Intel Core Duo 2 (dual) processor w/ 4 GB RAM. (and 1TB scratch disk)

I have 12.0.3 update installed.

I tried running the 32 bit vs the 64 bit, but I had the same problem either way before I reinstalled.

I uninstalled Photoshop, ran a registry cleaner (CCleaner from filehippo.com) and then rebooted and reinstalled. I did find that I can now use the Merge to HDR Pro if I open the files first into PS. If I try to open the files directly from Merge to HDR Pro, then it freezes up and Windows 7 shuts PS down.

I hope ya'll can figure this out soon!

-joel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 5:00 AM   in reply to JTfalconreid

Thanks. I'm on a MacBook Pro, so I don't have registry and other

Windows-related issues. I solved the problem by purchasing Photomatix

Pro. As a result, I think I am getting far better HDR results with no

glitches.

--

Sincerely,

Gord A. Grisenthwaite

11-445 Holbrook Road West

Kelowna, BC

V1X 1S4

w: 250.491.5673

m: 250.826.0677

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 2:05 PM   in reply to SeanySeanySean

I had a very similar problem with my 27" iMac.  When I ran Merge to HDR Pro, I could select my images and start the process, it would then to the main HDR screen where I can set the variables, then hit OK, or process, as it was converting the file, it would suddenly stop and I would be back in Photoshop with a blank document.  The program never crashed per se, it just didn't complete processing the images.

Long story short, after talking to Adobe help, had to uninstall and reinstall CS5.  Now Merge to HDR pro works both from Photoshop and Bridge.  Of course I forgot to copy my plugins so I have to reinstall those as well.

For those of you with similar problems, you might need to give this a try.

Good luck,

Arnie...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 3:35 PM   in reply to Arnie_S

Hi, Arnie:

Thanks. I'll wait until I replace my HD, as I'm going to need to

reinstall all of my apps anyway. For now, I am pleased with Photomatix Pro.

--

Sincerely,

Gord A. Grisenthwaite

11-445 Holbrook Road West

Kelowna, BC

V1X 1S4

w: 250.491.5673

m: 250.826.0677

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 3:44 PM   in reply to FranticToad

Hi Gord - I'll give one major thumbs up for Adobe HDR, and that's with ghost removal.  I use Photomatix and HDR Efex Pro (from Nik), and frankly Adobe is better at ghost removal (just an observation on many test images).

Arnie...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2011 4:25 PM   in reply to FranticToad

We've also seen people with mysterious MergeToHDR problems cure them by resetting preferences.

We're still trying to figure out what was bad about the preferences to cause the problems in the first place.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points