• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Merge To HDR Pro hangs Photoshop (Win 7, 64-bit)

Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've had Photoshop CS5 Extended for about 2 weeks. I'm using the 64 bit version with Windows 7 64 bit. So far it's been working ok but I'm now getting an issue with 'Merge to HDR Pro'. Once I've entered my settings and clicked 'ok' Photoshop stops responding. I have to start the 'Task Manager' and force quit Photoshop.

Is this a common issue or am I the only one whose getting it? Is there a solution?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

You mean it hangs or freezes Photoshop, not crashes.

No, I haven't seen too many reports of that.

Can you give us more details about your system and what sort of files you're using as input to MergeToHDRPro ?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 103 Replies 103

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean it hangs or freezes Photoshop, not crashes.

No, I haven't seen too many reports of that.

Can you give us more details about your system and what sort of files you're using as input to MergeToHDRPro ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

In answer to your question I'm not entirely sure. My machine doesn't crash. When I go to Automate/Merge to HDR Pro I can browse to my files, choose them and alter the settings in the HDR Pro window until my image looks the way I want it to. But when I click 'OK' the process of generating the HDR file seems to begin then stop. I can see my original images in the layer stack inside Photoshop and an empty layer at the bottom of the stack called 'Merge to HDR Pro'. It doesn't get any further than that. The only thing I can do is go to my Task Manager, where Photoshop will be listed as 'Not Responding'. I use RAW files from my Canon 40D.

I can't give you very precise details about my system because I had it custom built and I'm not very good with technical stuff. I can tell you that it is a 64 bit machine with a 120Gb solid state primary HD running Windows 7 64bit,  and 2 1Tb secondary drives. It currently has 6Gb RAM. The motherboard is overclocked. My gfx card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 295.

Thanks again.

S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on what Victoria said, the operation can take a very long time, especially with large files and/or a lot of files...  Have you allowed it enough time?  Start a Merge to HDR Pro operation some time when you're leaving the computer, and let it run for many minutes.

No matter how powerful a computer the hardware people invent, the software people will invent software to bog it down.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies,

I'm fairly certain that this isn't the issue because until recently it was working fine and then it suddenly wasn't. I never use any more than 3 RAW images when trying to create an HDR image because I generally have my camera set to 'Auto Bracket'. I'm also pretty sure, because of this, that I'm not trying to merge images with the same exposure values. I've already tried setting one off and going away to have a coffee but when I returned about 15 mins later it was still in the same frozen state.

Thanks again.

S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure that HDR Pro is not crashed  Photoshop.   Try following: check your original files ( files that you want to merge ). Check exposures( may be Photoshop can’t to merge the files because some of them are in the same exposures and  program trying to analyze it and that is why it is taking more time than usual)

Victoria Pavlov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to merge the same files? If yes, please try others( I don’t want to say that anything is wrong with your files..just want to try another files and see how  the program will respond)

Victoria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to upgrade my video card to get the HDR Pro to work even though my oId one met the minimum requirements.  One thing to try is at the top of HDR Pro select 16-bit not 32-bit.  Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks.

I'll give that a try.

S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you also made sure that the scratch files have been deleted. It may be that when the process is working through, it either does not have enough space or the space it is using is fragmented. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2010 Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for all your help.

I'm not sure what happened. I tried again last night (without attempting any of the solutions suggested) and it's working fine now. I can only assume that the hot weekend somehow upset my gfx card. I've been told that the GeForce GTX 295 is a 'hot' card and has issues that can arrise if it gets too warm. Is it possible that this was the problem?

Thanks again.

S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that the video card was at fault as it's not used for HDR processing. It also depends on what you mean by "hot" as high end video cards are built to withstand ~100 degrees C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to go against Zeno here, but I've read of accounts of system lockups due to nVidia cards on the Windows forums.  There was a driver version from nVidia that didn't manage the cooling system as well as it could and some systems actually sustained damage.  Check your driver version.

While we're on the subject of hardware issues, you should check your system event log to see if anything has shown up there.  I've had a couple of occasions where Photoshop CS5 x64 has stopped and I found drive controller errors logged on my drive D: hard drive both times, presumably during access of the Photoshop temp file.  I'm still looking into whether it's a hardware problem, but notably nothing else causes it (and I record lots of video to that drive).

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2010 Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similiar problem; but on Mac.

I select 31 RAW images off a Canon 5D MK2; select merge in HDR Pro in Photoshop in Lightroom 3. It then takes several hours on my 2.8 GHz Quad Core Mac Pro w/10 gigs of RAM and 300+ gigs free on my temp drive. At that point the HDR box comes up with the merged image. I then make my adjustments and hit OK. At the point of hitting ok it seems to go to hell..

I then see a CS5 untitled-hdr.psds blank on background and 31 layers in the side box for <2 seconds. The layers then disappear and CS5 closes the untitled psd and acts liker it has nothing open. The first couple times I thought it might be doing something in the background and let it sit overnight... but the next morning still nothing.. I verified that no new image was in the source directory and searched my computer for any PSDs in the last 24 hours and none were found.  CS5 alsio shiwed in a normal state, but nothing to do with the HDR merging was in the recent history dialogue box either.

I noticed a patch was available, updated, resatarted, and repeated with same results.

I have tried in 8bit & 16bit modes as well as remove ghosts and not remove. When I try just 3 images it works.

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have problem with HDR Pro.  When in Bridge CS5, I've selected 3 different JPG files of different exposure settings, tried Tools/Photoshop/Merge to HDR Pro.  Then CS5 takes over and starts the Process, and then - nothing.  It all goes away.  Nothing else happens, at all.  I can restart my computer, and try with different files, with nothing else running and still have the same results.  Using Windows XP with 3.5G of ram.  Using another program called Photomatix Pro and it still works fine.  HDR in CS5 doesn't work at all for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First suggestion: make sure you update to 12.0.1.

Second suggestion: if you copied plugins or scripts from an earlier version of Photoshop - get rid of them (you may have to reinstall CS5 to clean it up).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same problem...from LR3 to CS5 via Merge to HDR Pro. Photoshop hangs up after rendering composite image.

I am merging 5 images with -2 to +2 stop range from LR3 into CS5 HDR Pro.  Running MacBook Pro, 8gb RAM, Snow Leopard. Photoshop is at most current version 12.0.1 x64. No plug-ins or presets from prior version (new install).

Any further thoughts to those in the prior comments?  Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how I solved my problem.  I had installed an action - written in CS4 - by someone else that sent to me and installed into CS5.  The action worked, it just reduced a image size for digital projection. This was in a Windows XP with 4g of memory.

After that action install, HDR didn't work.

Uninstalled borrowed action, restarted computer and HDR started working again.

Why this action had anything to do with interferring with HDR, I don't know.  But it worked.

Recreated the action myself in 5 minutes.  And now everything works.

Go figure!

Now I have Windows 7 - i7 processor- 64bit with 6g of memory. Better graphics card.

CS5 work better but the real difference was in LR 2.7

I followed Chris Cox advise above and it worked.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your detailed account. I have the same exact problem as you descibe.  Has there been any movement on this issue at all?? I have to go to 3rd party apps for satisfaction. Even with just 3 bracketed jpgs images I have the problem.

crsouser wrote:

I am having a similiar problem; but on Mac.

I select 31 RAW images off a Canon 5D MK2; select merge in HDR Pro in Photoshop in Lightroom 3. It then takes several hours on my 2.8 GHz Quad Core Mac Pro w/10 gigs of RAM and 300+ gigs free on my temp drive. At that point the HDR box comes up with the merged image. I then make my adjustments and hit OK. At the point of hitting ok it seems to go to hell..

I then see a CS5 untitled-hdr.psds blank on background and 31 layers in the side box for <2 seconds. The layers then disappear and CS5 closes the untitled psd and acts liker it has nothing open. The first couple times I thought it might be doing something in the background and let it sit overnight... but the next morning still nothing.. I verified that no new image was in the source directory and searched my computer for any PSDs in the last 24 hours and none were found.  CS5 alsio shiwed in a normal state, but nothing to do with the HDR merging was in the recent history dialogue box either.

I noticed a patch was available, updated, resatarted, and repeated with same results.

I have tried in 8bit & 16bit modes as well as remove ghosts and not remove. When I try just 3 images it works.

Christopher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2012 Dec 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No luck at all!  Not only that I think Adobe dosn't even care about there product after they sell it.  I even got deleted off there help line when all i did is send my computer information to them and asked what I was missing.  I am very discouraged with there lack of product support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adjusting the percentage of RAM allocated to Photoshop in the Preferences, both more and less, and see if things work better. You might also fiddle with the OpenGL or GPU settings in case it is a video-card limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Just tried them all.  Photoshop works faster but still will not complete the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me as for Nikon. No change. I've tried more, less, the graphics card settings cashe levels. It just goes through the motions and then brings bakc the PS window without even trying go to HDR Pro. I think it is a problem in the communication betwee nthe 2 apps but we need some staff imput on this to work together to solve it. Until then I will just use photomatrix which works great (PSD output is all I would add to that app). I don't believe it's a hardware performance issue. No matter the settings the results are the same. Adobe has been mum so far. I will be trying to talk to a live person on monday when I have an hour to wait on hold. aloha, U

ssprengel wrote:

Try adjusting the percentage of RAM allocated to Photoshop in the Preferences, both more and less, and see if things work better.  You might also fiddle with the OpenGL or GPU settings in case it is a video-card limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a smallish set of images that demonstrates the problem? JPGs would be smaller but a few NEFs would be ok. Zip and Upload them to www.dropbox.com or www.yousendit.com or other large-file-storage area and post a link in a reply. That way we can see if the images, themselves, are doing something strange or if it is your computer(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thanks for your reply. I would assume the problem were the images at first too but photomatrix does a great job of merging them and PS6 just creates garbage image. It does not handle noise reduction but increases more. I will do as you say, though, and troll for a few examples that reflect. I will send you some that are the ones that cause me problems and see if they do so on your system.. That would be a great test, thanks! I haven't used dropbox yet.. I have been using wuala but I can use it if it is what you want to use too. It will be not till tomorow (sat) afternoon that I will have time to sift through and find the right files and then get a link to you but I will. I have, since last posting, seen that (experimenting with older photos) from a powershot a620 they merged just fine in PSCS6 and so I am beginning to think it is the camera model perhaps! I have one of the new canon T4i rebels. I love this camera and want to do HDR timelapse with it. I was trying to merge bracketed set of jpg lg files (18mpx). and also tried raw files too. aloha till saturday, U

I should state that I am running a macbook pro snow leopard OX6.7 and PSCS6 full license (so no 13.1.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines