Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't open PDF files until I end Acrobat.exe process in task manager

Jun 7, 2010 1:59 PM

I have Acrobat 9 Standard with all updates applied. Occiasonally when I try to open a PDF nothing will happen, turns out that I open the task manager and find that Acrobat.exe is still running. I end the process and then I am able to open the PDF file, the file is local on my machine, (not in outlook, not on the network) and yes it happens to many of my files. What is the fix so I don't have to do this exta step every time? Is it a problem with Acrobat, or maybe it is conflicting with something on Microsoft's End? By the way I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates applied. Please help me figure this out!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 7, 2010 2:36 PM   in reply to ICEMANhalo96

You don't happen to have Reader installed also do you? It sounds like an Acrobat issue, but thought the question might be useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2010 12:13 AM   in reply to ICEMANhalo96

Do you have any other applications that access Acrobat using OLE? I've come across this before where the offending application did not close down Acrobat properly after performing its operation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 7:13 AM   in reply to ICEMANhalo96

You could try downloading the Windows Sysinternals program Handle http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533.aspx

Run this from the command line passing either PDF or Acrobat as a parameter. This may help you diagnose what is holding Acrobat open.

i.e. At a command prompt type: Handle pdf (or Handle acrobat)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2010 6:04 PM   in reply to ICEMANhalo96

I don't know the PDFLyer program, but they both may want to handle pdf files, this could be causing the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points