Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Slow clip loading

Jun 8, 2010 7:19 PM

I'm using Adobe Premiere CS4. Whenever I'm zoomed in doing some editing, and I zoom out to view a larger chunk of the timeline, it takes several moments to "load" the clip thumbnails. During that 4-10 second period I can't see any of the clips and its simply irritating. I'm running W7 8gbDDR3, i5 SSD+7200RPM drive so I don't see any issue of it being my computer's fault.

Is there a setting somewhere to enable "always remember these clips and stuff"?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 9, 2010 6:11 AM   in reply to frogmike

Hi,

What kind of footage are you editing ..

HD ?

SD ?

How much is on the timeline ( 1 hour ? - 2 Hours ? )

Is this a new , first time problem with material that never did this before or something that's been always happening ?

What kind of graphics card do you have ?

If it's SD ( 720x480 ) you might just need to tune up your computer to make it as fast as possible...

for example, check if your hard drive has " indexing" turned off

Check the location and size of your scratch disk...

There are threads here for tuning up the computer ...  Good luck

Rod

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 7:34 AM   in reply to frogmike

This is a video redraw issue. I would suspect that you have the Thumbnail Display set to ALL. Try with it set to First, or First & Last. Most editors will turn it to None, so that just the Clip name is displayed.

Even with All set in the display, my Quadro FS-4500 will redraw in about 0.5 sec.

Depending on your OS, you might improve the redraw by adjusting Hardware Acceleration.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 8:06 AM   in reply to frogmike

Here is PrPro 2.0's setting in the Track Header. Should be about the same in later versions:

Track_Display.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 8:19 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

That's the little square on the bottom left of the video channel...the menu you see Bill showed you..

Rod

ps...hardware acceleration and video card properties ...for WIN XP ....( don't know about win 7 ) ...you right click on a blank area of your desktop and look for your video card settings either in that first menu or else choose " properties" and then "settings" and then "advanced"....

hopefully your video card installed some easy to follow little program to make changes easy to understand...most do...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 1:39 PM   in reply to frogmike

You said you have 5 minutes on the timeline -- how much footage is in the project, and how many sequences do you have in the project?

Is this happening always, or just close to the beginning of the session?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 11:27 AM   in reply to frogmike

With the MJPEG footage, have you Rendered your Timeline? If there is a red line above the Clips, it could be taking some time for PrPro to internally process the MJPEG's for playback. By Rendering, you take much of that processing load off the system.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 2:32 PM   in reply to frogmike

I get good playback for most of my footage, even with many Effects and the red line. I was just wondering if the lack of Rendering might affect the redraw, but that goes out the window.

Thanks for the clarification,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2010 2:57 AM   in reply to frogmike

Hello, I have same problem. Most of time I scroll timeline (I use head thumbnails), thumbnails are refreshed from disk. I have lot of small pieces clips. I not found any solution, I think this is bad using cache in Premiere...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points