Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Printshop Pantone color doesnt match mine?

Jun 9, 2010 9:51 AM

Hello all,

I sent an ai file into a screen printer who returned to me a mockup of what it will look like on the bag.

Problem is that the blue they are showing doesnt match at all the blue i sent in.

the logo uses a PMS 298 and they have listed in their mockup PMS 298 as well.

I have eliminated the possiblity that our monitors are displaying radically different and other than that I just cant explain the drastic difference between colors.

Anyone ever run into this sort of problem?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 9, 2010 10:11 AM   in reply to FlexDouche

The issue is whether your printer is going to print with the actual Pantone 298 spot color ink or whether that color will be simulated via standard C, M, Y, and K process inks. If the latter, you should expect to see some differences, especially a lack of vibrance.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 12:52 PM   in reply to FlexDouche

You can also expect to see some differences if the printer has returned the mockup to you as an emailed JPEG file without any form of color management.

If you are looking at a physical proof, it was likely prepared with a CMYK printer - - - where it would be too costly to create a plate or screen just for a one ink/one impression sample.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 2:05 PM   in reply to FlexDouche

How did you obtain their sample? Was it an emailed JPEG file? Was it printed with CMYK inks?

You need to seek an explanation from your print provider. They may be able to explain to you that they have approximated the color in the proof with CMYK but will be printing with a single, specific spot ink on the final product.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 6:50 PM   in reply to FlexDouche

This is pretty common.  The only way you will be able to see a mockup is when they go on press.  Most screen printers use plastisol inks and they custom mix them to come close to the PMS 298; but there is no Plastisol Pantone 298 like offset printers can order for a Spot color.  So, you have to either have them make the screen and actually print a sample using the Plastisol mix ( usually a medium Blue and White mix ) and they send it to you FedEx or you approve whatever it is they sent to you.  But, if you do the latter, they will not have to match the 298.  You should definitely arrange for a press approval the day they ink up the job.  At a minimum, you can have them send you an actual flat stock sample ( minimum of 3 ) of their actual ink mix that's been put through the dryer.  Then, you can decide which mix comes closest to your 298.  This all really has nothing to do with CMYK or what type of JPG they sent you.  It goes much further in terms of accuracy and getting your money's worth.  If the screen shop has a hotshot ink mixer, you've got nothing to worry about.  But, definitely get ahold of them and see what they can deliver in terms of an actual ink sample.  Plastisol has a few Blues to choose from and may have a standard Blue that comes close to 298.  Another question to ask them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 11:24 AM   in reply to FlexDouche

I'd like to hear what the vendor has to say.  Please let me know what ink color they plan to use and how they plan on proceeding with or without a proof.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 16, 2010 7:10 AM   in reply to John Danek

If it is a pantone spot color how it looks onscreen is irrelevant. It can only print the color specified.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points