• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot install Flash Player for Firefox

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows XP HE with SP4.  IE and the latest version of Firefox are installed.

In both IE and Firefox, on attempting to install Flash Player with the standard link, I get an error message in a small window opens, title "getPlus+(R): Error," text "Unable to load a GUI," "OK" box.  I got around this by locating a standalone installation for IE, which downloaded an installation file to my computer.  However, this does not work in Firefox, even when obtaining access to that link from Firefox.  The file executes, but Flash Player still shows as not installed in Firefox.

I cannot find any separate standalone installer for Flash Player for Firefox.

This error message appears to be generated by the Adobe Installer, a getPlus product.  My thought was to uninstall the Adobe Installer, and try to start over.  However, the Adobe Installer shows up in the list of installed programs reached through Control Panel, BUT clicking the button to uninstall the program does nothing.  The program remains listed.  I cannot find a location for the Adobe Installer program on my disk drive.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Hi Chris, I am very well acquainted with DLM/getPlus/getPlusPlus/NOS:-) I see you are too now:-) Most users have no problem in Removing DLM from Add/Remove/Programs and Features via Control Panel.

There are a couple of things to check. Using IE, go to Tools>Internet Options. Click on Settings, then View Objects. Is there anything listed on the above?

When you tried to Remove the DLM, were you using the Administrator Account?

Now using the SEARCH from Start, enter into the "part of the name" gp.oc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, SP4? I haven't checked the patch Tuesday Windows updates, but wasn't aware of a service pack update to XP.

Your version of IE would have been helpful, but you can post that next.

Following is the Installer for Flash Player for FF which you would download and SAVE to your Desktop:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player.exe

Let's see if you can Install FP for FF and then we'll see about the DLM

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, it's SP3, not SP4.  IE is v. 8.0.6001.18702, but as I said, the standalone installation for IE was successful, so that's not an issue.

The link you furnished me allowed a successful standalone installation for Firefox.  Flash Player is now working correctly in Firefox.  Thank you!

So for posterity, the files for standalone installations are:

IE:  install_flash_player_ax.exe, 2544 KB

Firefox:  install_flash_player.exe, 2509 KB

I still have to rate this question only partially answered.  Can we address the problem with Adobe Download Manager?  (I used the wrong name for this before, Adobe Installer.)

eidnolb, what is your position, are you a member of Adobe's staff?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, So now you have Flash Player in both IE & FF, great:-) Yes, we will address the DLM. It is supposed to disconnect after it downloads the FP. But many times it does not and then a problem is created due to that.

Glad you cleared up the SP4. Thot I may have missed that:-) No I am not a member of the Adobe Staff, just a user that likes to help those that I am able to. I do a lot of research and most of the time can find what a problem is regarding Flash Player issues. Sometimes a user may have a system problem, etc and that I can't help with too much.

On the DLM, go to Add/Remove and if it is listed there (DLM/Download Manager) or a getPlus entry, Remove one or both.

When that is finished, Reboot your computer.

Then using IE, go to Tools, manage add ons (all add ons with IE) and make sure there are no add ons of getPlus or a get_atlcom Class. If so, you most likely can't Delete\Remove them with IE8, but disable them. Now if they were there, sometimes by Removing the DLM & getPlus from Add/Remove this will remove them from the IE add ons, or at least they may show up as "damaged". (Not in the add on section, but elsewhere)

Then using FF, either in extensions or add ons or plug-ins, look for them there. Do the same thing.

Hopefully this will take care of it. If you have any questions, just ask.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, I am WinXp Sp3 too.

I am a developer, and have used all the 10.1RCs. On one of my office pc, 10.1RC have never installed successfully for Firefox and Chrome, but the flash plugin was shown in the plugin list of firefox.

I tried the some cmd line parameters, no use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fatmck, Would you please start a thread? The final release for 10.1 came out today and of course some new info.

I can better address your issues that way. It will get confusing when one thread is used for multiple issues.

Just pick any subject you like and I'll see your thread.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I post a new thread here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/657670

Thanks for your patient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll look for you.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in my first message, Adobe DLM appears in the "Add/Remove Programs" dialogue box, but clicking the Remove button doesn't do anything.  The screen flickers for a couple of seconds, and Adobe DLM remains listed as an installed program.  There is no installed program listed under the description getPlus or NOS.

I found useful information at http://www.findmysoft.com/news/Patch-to-Fix-Critical-Adobe-Download-Manager-Vulnerability-Released/ .  Not to put too fine a point on it, information at various locations shows that the DLM has been a troublesome program.

IE did not list Adobe DLM, getPlus, or NOS as an addon.  Firefox listed "getPlusPlus for Adobe 16263" as a plugin. There was not other extension or plugin listed under Adobe DLM, getPlus, or NOS.

Based on the information at the link cited above, I tried the following. First, in Firefox, I disabled the getPlusPlus for Adobe 16263 plugin.  Removing it was not an option.  First, using services.msc, I disabled the getPlus Helper service.  Removing it was not an option.  Third, I deleted the directory c:\Program Files\NOS and its subtree.  I did not find anything relevant in the Application Data directories.

I then went to the link on the Adobe Web site to install Flash Player.  (I know, it's already installed, but I wanted to see if the DLM would now function.)  This time, the first thing that happened upon clicking the link to install it was that the site completed a new installation of DLM.  However, on proceeding to the installation of Flash Player itself, I got the same error message noted above, "A GUI could not be loaded."  So nothing changed.  Opening services.msc again, I noted that the getPlus Helper service had been reinstalled, and was no longer disabled.  The c:\Program Files\NOS directory had been recreated.  I tried manually starting the getPlus Helper service, and trying the installation again through the Adobe Web site.  Same result, no help.  And note that DLM is not being cleaned up automatically as part of this process, as is supposed to happen.

I'm thinking that a previous installation of DLM left behind some corrupted relic that is preventing it from running properly.  Very likely an incorrect registry entry.  But good luck finding that one without help.

NOS Micro has a link to "Contact Our Support Team" at http://www.nosltd.com/index.php/support .  Maybe as a last resort see if they would respond?  Note that I can't locate a way to get support from Adobe except by paying $39.95 per incident for telephone support.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, I am very well acquainted with DLM/getPlus/getPlusPlus/NOS:-) I see you are too now:-) Most users have no problem in Removing DLM from Add/Remove/Programs and Features via Control Panel.

There are a couple of things to check. Using IE, go to Tools>Internet Options. Click on Settings, then View Objects. Is there anything listed on the above?

When you tried to Remove the DLM, were you using the Administrator Account?

Now using the SEARCH from Start, enter into the "part of the name" gp.ocx and make a note of where it is and right click and Remove/Delete it. Then run a SEARCH on gp.inf and do the same thing.

Did you Uninstall Flash Player using the Adobe Uninstaller before trying to Install FP in FF again?

I have some add'l info on the DLM, etc. and will try to get it.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2010 Jun 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, eidnolb, you write:

<< There are a couple of things to check. Using IE, go to Tools>Internet Options. Click on Settings, then View Objects. Is there anything listed on the above? >>

This displayed the Downloaded Program Files directory, and sure enough, it contained files named gp.inf, gp.ocx, and swdir.inf, and a subdirectory named CONFLICT.1, which contained files also named gp.inf and gp.ocx.  I deleted both gp.inf and gp.ocx files, and the subdirectory.

<< Now using the SEARCH from Start, enter into the "part of the name" gp.ocx and make a note of where it is and right click and Remove/Delete it. Then run a SEARCH on gp.inf and do the same thing. >>

Using Explorer, I found a file named C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\gp.cab , so I cleared the Temporary Internet Files.  I also found a directory named C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NOS, and for good measure deleted that subtree, including the GP_GUI_Adobe subtree.  The C:\Program Files\NOS directory was back, and the subdirectory bin contained a gp.ocx file.  I deleted the file and the entire NOS directory.

<< When you tried to Remove the DLM, were you using the Administrator Account? >>

Yes, I am the only user on this Windows installation.

<< Did you Uninstall Flash Player using the Adobe Uninstaller before trying to Install FP in FF again? >>

Yes.  As we discussed, Flash Player is now working correctly in Firefox.

After taking these steps, I again attempted an installation of Flash Player in Firefox through the usual link on the Adobe site.  This time, DLM started, and opened its own window.  (I had not got that far previously.)  The "GUI could not be loaded" error message did not appear.  However, eventually,

DLM gave an error message, "Can't establish SSL connection (16263.331.1137)," and the installation terminated, saying it had failed.  I tried taking down the firewall, and going through the routine again, but the result was the same.

At the end of all of this, DLM did NOT remove itself.  However, through Control Panel, I went into the Add/Remove Programs dialogue, and this time I was able to remove DLM completely!

It remains unclear if DLM would functiion correctly if I was trying a clean installation after uninstalling Flash Player.  But I'm not going to worry about it, because I have functioning Flash Player installations, and the trash has finally been cleared out of my computer.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, well you really had a workout!! I had checked my folders for that info late last night and was prepared to post to you that this morning. Surprisingly you have it under control. This should not be that difficult to Remove the DLM. I still don't understand why you weren't able to Remove it from Add/Remove/Programs/Features. I don't mean you in particular, just that I would like to know why it couldn't be done. Also from those that I have worked with on this issue, it appears there is a conflict between the DLM and certain Flash Player Installers.

Now after all you went thru to eliminate the gp files etc, I would have used the Installer that's downloaded and run from the Desktop. But I understand why you didn't, but for others I recommend using those, both for IE & FF. Then sometimes if the DLM was used previously on a system it will interfere using the offline Installers too, so that has to be cleared.

Also I'm surprised too that after all you did that the DLM was still in Add/Remove! LOL Glad you checked that.

Thank you so much for your detailed steps you took to clear this out. You have the expertise to do this, many users are not so talented and the procedures you took will certainly be very helpful to them. The SEARCH function is very helpful indeed.

I don't know what would occur either the next time you need to Uninstall for an update of FP or not. I would not take a chance, use the offline Installers:-)

Thanks again and for marking your thread as answered as well:-)

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank YOU.  I certainly couldn't have done it without you.  Locating the gp files was evidently the key to getting DLM to function somewhat, and then being able to remove it.  I speculate that the previous DLM installation was corrupted in some way that did not allow it to be removed in the usual fashion, but that deleting all the gp files cleared this out, permitting a new installation of DLM to proceed, and that the new installation could then be removed through the Add/Remove Programs dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Chris, well I am glad I had the information in order to help. I "collect" information as I research and my Desktop is covered in Folders. That DLM info was from last year and anything new on it I just add to the folder. I most likely have enough info to build a computer, but I wouldn't know where to start, LOL

Most involves anything regarding Flash Player, IE, FF, Chrome, Windows, Anti-Virus Programs, etc and etc.

I referred to your thread today and that other thread that you commented on. I have spent more time on the DLM/getplus since FP 10.1 came out just to get FP Installed properly.

My conclusion is that the DLM and some of the Flash Player Installers are conflicting. So we'll see if that is cleared up soon.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines