Skip navigation
artasb
Currently Being Moderated

What is 'Owl Orphanage-PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe - System Error?

Jun 11, 2010 6:26 AM

I manually loaded some filter plug-ins, then began getting this message error when the Editor was loading.  I can click 'OK' about 10 times and Editor will eventually load.  The message says 'The program can't start because MSVCRT10.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem'.  I reinstalled PSE8 and I still get the message.  I'm also afraid that the problem is damaging files in an external harddrive (I'm getting a new message with the external harddrive that says some files may be corrupted and it needs to be checked).  Anyone have an idea where to go to find the 'MSVCRT10.dll' file and what to do with it?

Thanks!!

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2010 10:12 AM   in reply to artasb

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 11:30 AM   in reply to artasb

artasb wrote:

I manually loaded some filter plug-ins, then began getting this message error when the Editor was loading.  I can click 'OK' about 10 times and Editor will eventually load.  The message says 'The program can't start because MSVCRT10.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem'.  I reinstalled PSE8 and I still get the message.  I'm also afraid that the problem is damaging files in an external harddrive (I'm getting a new message with the external harddrive that says some files may be corrupted and it needs to be checked).  Anyone have an idea where to go to find the 'MSVCRT10.dll' file and what to do with it?

Thanks!!

One of the older plugins that you manually installed uses the MSVCRT10.dll. You might have one on your PSE installation disc in the goodies folder. If you have an optional filters folder on the disc, it would most likely be in that one.

If it's not in that folder, you can often find it on sites that offer freebie plugin filters.

Here is one link with clear easy to follow instructions on where to put the MSVCRT10.dll file for both 32 bit and 64 bit OS along with a download link to the file. You only need to read Step 1.

http://thepluginsite.com/products/picopro/tutorials/makework.htm

There's a freebie filter called Impressionist by Trimoon that includes the MSVCRT.DLL in the zip file. It's a really cool filter that is worth downloading if you like doing art type effects.

http://asnailpace.com/blog/impressionist-plug-in/

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 12:13 PM   in reply to Terri_F

Trimoon's stuff is fabulous but he says it's not compatible with PSE, alas.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 8:15 PM   in reply to artasb

Were you able to get the Impressionist plug in to work in both CS5 and your version of Elements?

I haven't upgraded to CS5 from CS3 yet but thinking about it. I seriously hope that particular filter works in CS5.  As far as PSE, I know the Impressionist filter works in PSE 3 but alas I haven't had the urge to upgrade my version of Elements.

Tip: If the filter works in CS5, you can use it along with any other filter you have installed as a smart filter by going to by using the "Enable All Plug ins for Smart filters" script. In CS3, it's located at  File<Script<EnableAllPluginsForSmartFilters. If it's not in the menu list, browse through your scripts folder as I'm sure that's still an option. Then again, I'm a couple of versions behind and this might be enabled by default by now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 1:07 AM   in reply to artasb

I can verify that the impressionist plugin works on both pse 8

and cs5, windows only though.

In cs5 if you have a 64 bit os, then you would install the plugin

in the 32 bit version of cs5.

The script for cs5 to enable all plugins for smart filters is located here:

smart-java.jpg

If your into digital painting, a great free plugin is deep paint. Follow the link in first

post to download. Windows only. Works in both pse 8 and cs5.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-art-resources/10740-software-de eppaint-2-0-free-deep-paint.html

A liitle mini howto:

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=211

MTSTUNER

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 5:55 AM   in reply to MTSTUNER

Just to clarify, that particular plug-in isn't Trimoon's own creation, but an older popular free plug-in that he now hosts since it's not available from the developer anymore. AFAIK he's still saying his own work isn't for PSE, but then I don't know if that's just because he doesn't test it there. Certainly things like his tool presets won't work easily in PSE.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points