Skip navigation
tiCreativeMediaDesign
Currently Being Moderated

transparency switch broken in CS5?

Jun 11, 2010 10:00 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to use the transparency switch on a shape layer, so that it performs like a clipping path to the layer below it.

Nothing happens at all when I click the box for transparency.

is this broken in CS5? It's not working as explained in the help section.

003.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 11, 2010 10:14 AM   in reply to tiCreativeMediaDesign

I think you're misunderstanding the use of the transparency switch. Think of it as having a track matte at the bottom of the stack. In other words the layers below your layer with transparency turned on are the ones that set where the mask is. You would want to place your shape layer at the bottom of the stack and turn transparency on with the layers above it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 11:49 AM   in reply to tiCreativeMediaDesign

I use the transparency switch all the time. Creating a Pre-comp should not be looked at as a hinderance. It's a very valuable and useful tool that will simplify most aspects of many projects. Judging from your timeline shot there should be no problems caused by a pre-comp.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to tiCreativeMediaDesign

Read the manual a little more carefully. You'll find the topic under the heading Transparency, opacity, and compositing > Alpha Channels, Masks and mattes > Preserve underlying transparency during compositing. The first line states:

The Preserve Underlying Transparency option causes a layer to get its transparency from the transparency of the composite of the layers below it in the layer stacking order.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2010 6:16 PM   in reply to tiCreativeMediaDesign

That's a track matte. It only effects the layer below. No need to pre-compose.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points