Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I can't open PDF files in InDesign CS5

Jun 14, 2010 12:12 AM

Hi all,

I can't seem to open any PDF files of any version while using InDesign CS5...

I'm currently running InDesign in Windows 7 Professional x32bit...

This message keeps popping up:

Cannot open the file "TIG_Sheet_and_Application.pdf". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

I've made sure that the file was not open in any application, and its not just this particular pdf files... all PDF files can't be opened. The only thing that actually opens in InDesign are the indd files...

I try going through the plug-in list, but there's a bunch and I'm not sure which one is it...

Tried google search for a solution but found no solution...

Can anyone help me?

Cheers,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2010 1:01 AM   in reply to GeoData89

Hi,

InDesign can only "Place" PDF files into graphic frames. Why would you like to open PDF files in InDesign?

//Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2010 1:08 PM   in reply to pardalek

"The only thing that actually opens in InDesign are the indd files..."

No surprises here. (Actually, it can also "open" IDML files, but that's no consolation.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 10:43 AM   in reply to pardalek

Considering PDF is supposed to be this awesome universal packed up file format that most other applications out there (even Open Office) can open and edit, it seems silly that InDesign can't. I have plenty of clients that have Photoshop, but few that have InDesign, so they can't make edits to InDesign files directly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 12:27 PM   in reply to darrelltwo

Now that's a short-sighted and provable plain wrong comment. I have lots of other applications that cannot open and edit PDFs. I also have lots of PDFs that cannot be opened and edited with tools that are specifically designed to work with PDFs.

Photoshop, for instance, cannot "open and edit" PDF. If you think it does: fine. It only proves you don't know what Photoshop does when "opening" a PDF.

Illustrator can "open and edit" fairly most PDFs, but again: if you think you are opening, then editing, the original PDF, you only prove you don't know what Illustrator does when "opening" a PDF.

InDesign is not designed as, nor has it ever been advertised as, a tool to "open and edit" PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2011 12:55 PM   in reply to [Jongware]-9BC6tI

Missing features are plugin product opportunities for others.

This forum is the place where external developers discuss technical issues of their plugins.

So if you are searching for a possible solution, you might consider

http://www.recosoft.com/products/pdf2id/pdf-to-indesign.htm

Disclaimer: I never have used the PDF2ID product and have no other relations to it.

Alternatively, there is also the forum dedicated to InDesign feature requests.

Dirk

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2011 1:56 PM   in reply to GeoData89

Click on the InDesign program icon to launch the application.

Select "File" from the InDesign menu bar.

Pull down the menu to "New" to open a new InDesign document. The "New Document" window will open.

Select "Page Size" (preferably the same size as your PDF document).

Select either horizontal or vertical "Orientation" (preferably the same orientation as your PDF document).

Leave the "Columns" or "Margins" selections as is.

Click "OK" to open the new, blank InDesign document.

Locate the "File" menu again, and pull down the menu to "Place."

Select the location of the PDF you wish to open from the "Place" window that opens.

Double-click on the PDF file to open the "Importing" progress bar.

Place your cursor, which will have changed from an arrow to an arrow with an Adobe logo, precisely at the position you wish your PDF to be placed, and click.

Reposition the PDF on the page to your liking, or resize if needed.

Select "Save" from the InDesign file menu to save your new document to the preferred location on your computer, or select "Print" from the InDesign file menu to print the document.

• Read more: How Do You Open a PDF in InDesign? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6012985_do-open-pdf-indesign_.html#ixzz1XCxHhH le

|
Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to pardalek

>Why would you like to open PDF files in InDesign?

BECAUSE WE WANT TO.  THX

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 1:54 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

greenbluewave wrote:

>Why would you like to open PDF files in InDesign?

BECAUSE WE WANT TO.  THX

That is not a good reason. Even typing in capitals doesn't make it so.

Do you also want to be able to "open" PSD files in InDesign? Illustrator? Word? Excel? AutoCAD? Maya 3D? GarageBand? Any of these programs can export some data format that InDesign, in turn, can import. For every sucker person that "NEEDS" to be able to 'open' a PDF, there is another one who "NEEDS" to 'open' a GarageBand file in ID, for pretty much the same reasons.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 13, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to Dirk Becker 

[Jongware], it's a usability thing; You wouldn't understand.

Also, if you don't have anything constructive to add to a help board, then why bother?  You only succeed in frustrating people that are looking for answers to their specific issuesYou may not have any reason to import a PDF into InDesign, but that doesn't mean that others don't have good reasons for doing so and we don't have to explain ourselves to YOU.  (whoops, I used caps again, I'm so very sorry)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to greenbluewave

> You may not have any reason to import a PDF into InDesign, but that doesn't mean that others don't have good reasons for doing so...

You are missing the point of the OP's request. In fact, I import PDFs into InDesign almost every working day. The OP (and follow-uppers) are ranting about the "shortcoming" that InDesign cannot *open* and *edit* any PDF.

There are *huge* differences between being able to *import* and being able to *edit* a file. InDesign, for example can import a PNG file -- but you cannot edit it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to GeoData89

We have a tool, PDF2DTP, which will convert Illusttrator and PDF to InDesign. That is the way to go, with a third-party plugin like PDF2DTP. Here is a video demonstration:

|
    Mark as:
  • More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
    • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
    • 10,000+ points
    • 1,001-10,000 points
    • 501-1,000 points
    • 5-500 points