• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

We need sticky filters for folders and collections back!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i opened this new discussion because the old one was marked as answered. its not answered at all!

we need sticky filters back. its absolutely frustrating having to change the filters back over and over again.

there are collections where i want flagged photos to appear most of the time.

there are collections where i want flagged and starred photos to appear most of the time.

i just want lightroom to save these settings per collection and i dont want to have to make multiple smart-collections just to have these various filters saved.

im not asking for anything impossible. it was already there in lightroom 1&2.

adobe, please fix this regression fast! let us choose!

thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 179 Replies 179
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I for one never liked the sticky filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why we need a preference for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2010 Jun 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CanonRAW_Shooter wrote:

I for one never liked the sticky filters.

+ 1. Couldn't care less about them, to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're hearing the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alright, thats great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was busted/bug/operator error, didnt think for a moment it would be by design. I thought you were supposed to get more when you upgraded not less.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beta 2 didn't do this

After all the consultation with us why change something so fundamental without at least involving the people who were trying to help with Lr3 B2

I can see why one might like the new system but I can also see that some, myself included, prefer the old system.

An option seems to be the best choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SnapperRT wrote:

Beta 2 didn't do this

Beta 2 did and from memory beta 1 also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Lyons wrote:

...and from memory beta 1 also.

That is correct.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I owe apologies beta 2 does not retain the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey - no fair changing your message in mid-reply!

+1 vote to support both - preferrably on the fly, as opposed to a fixed preference.

Lr3.1 !!!

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Losing your selection is a bug (or at least, not part of the conscious

design)

Losing sticky filters was a design choice for 3.0, and happened before beta

-melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer.

But do you intend to reinstate it or give users an option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're still discussing what to do.

-melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2010 Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1000 to bring it back.

Mellisa,

Whats to discuss?

Proffesional photographers needs and use this feature, it was a given in V1 and 2 but now we have to fight for it.

Changing it seems like a weird decision to me.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MelissaJ.G. wrote:

-melissa

The best of all possible solutions would be to give the end-user the choice of "sticky" or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob_Peters wrote:

The best of all possible solutions would be to give the end-user the choice of "sticky" or not.

Yes ... I have choices for many functions, settings, etc.  within LR to fine-tune the app to my workflow ... this is one function that I think would best serve all users as a preference for which style of behavior individuals prefer to work with instead of an arbitrary implementation ... as I am one user who did not think the prior behavior was wrong .....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As part of this discussion, please look at the larger recurring issue, which is removing or changing significantly the operation of existing LR features.

This didn't matter as much when LR was pretty new, but many of us have now invested a great deal of time and thought in establishing our LR workflow.  This workflow can be significantly different from one user to the next.  There is no one right way for a feature to operate, so what may be an improvement for some, may be a critical loss of functionality for others.

In respect of the now well-established user base, I would suggest that any feature changes like this should be implemented with a user option that retains as much of the existing functionality as is technically feasible.

Paul Wasserman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MelissaJ.G. wrote:

-melissa

This is the sort of behaviour that 50% of people love and 50% hate and why this sort of behaviour should always be optional and adaptable.

The more things you can make user preferable/optional/adjustable, the more time the designers/coders can spend on the programme itself, rather than waste time debating about which group of people will be the least annoyed by a change/new feature/position in UI.However you layout/design any software, it won't suit all customer's needs, but locking down and reducing options always makes for fewer people pleased than could be the case.

For example - Shortcuts keys should always be user customisable, as then you can match keys to the programmes and tools within -  that you actually use - everyone ahs a slightly difference range of software used and then the different tools within. I overwrite many already taken shortcuts in PS with my own favourite tools as I never use the tool/menu item/action etc they are currently assigned to. Makes me far more productive.

Auto increment on Batch Renaming being another example of where the choice to do so or not should be up to the user. Auto-increment [in Br] drives me nuts most of the time, but I can how useful it would be for say event photographers and also for some jobs I do.

Br auto increments and LR resets to 1, but Br can batch rename RAW + JPEGS together and LR cannot, so both are less than optimal for my needs. Remembering to reset to one in Br is much faster than having to select and rename files twice in LR, so I tend to use Br for that task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imajez wrote:

MelissaJ.G. wrote:

-melissa

This is the sort of behaviour that 50% of people love and 50% hate and why this sort of behaviour should always be optional and adaptable.

The longer this thread rumbles on, the more obvious what I said in this post is the case. The only sensible solution is to make it user choice as whichever method Adobe chooses, it will really annoy a large percentage of the user base.

You will work our way as we know better than you, is like AppleThink. Forcing a very specific workflow on users undermines the many very good aspects of LR. And for a programme aimed at creative types who are more likely to work in a variety of weird and wonderful ways, it seems particularly daft.

If PS had had been this focused with a 'photography only, work in this way' mindset, I doubt it would be the leading image editor and very powerful tool it is today, if it even still existed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2010 Jun 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use filters on my folder structure organized with year/month/date.   Rating +3* for year, +2* for month to see the better images for each year etc. As far as I can see it remembers the setting but I have to turn on filter each time.

Click on a folder, turn on filter, click on another folder, turn on filter. Go back to the previous folder, turn on the filter again.  Not a good way to work, is it?

Hopefully you will come up with something to keep the filter setting. This is a step backwards.

- Terje

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I for one find this super frustuating and have never heard about "Sticky Filters" untill it was no longer there. I have waisted hours upon hours trying to fix what I thought was broken.

I am a wedding photographer and shoot sometimes 10,000 photos per wedding then filter them by ratings but might select 1,000 images. I have deleloped my workflow around this "Sticky Filter" feature.  Not having this feautre has now seriously increased the amount of time it takes me to edit out pictures once I have to refine down my selections by removing stars. And in some ways this has hampered my ability to do so effectivly becuase I get distracted by having to figure out which filters I had turned one and loose focus on the images. Which is what LR is suposed to be about, the images.

I have figured out a workflow around this.

1) Import all my images in LR2 to refine my selection of images. Using "Sticky Filters"

2) Import that catalog into LR3 to Color Correct my final selections. But the noise feature is then set to 2003 instead of 2010.

ADOBE - Please fix this so I am not wasiting hours with work arounds to your new ideas of how you think people edit when they have been editing with your old software for years now and have build workflow models around them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over-reliance on the filter panel is often a result of not making sufficient use of smart or dumb collections, and often filter presets too. Look at these features and the new lock - you shouldn't have to use LR2 any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnbeardy wrote:

Over-reliance on the filter panel is often a result of not making sufficient use of smart or dumb collections, and often filter presets too. Look at these features and the new lock - you shouldn't have to use LR2 any longer.

Under-reliance on the filter panel is often a result of over-using smart and dumb collections.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines