Skip navigation

We need sticky filters for folders and collections back!

Jun 14, 2010 5:18 AM

Latest reply: Rob Cole, Nov 4, 2010 4:31 AM
Replies 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2010 8:38 AM   in reply to imajez

Imajez, Yed, I red that, but that was, as you point out, very early in the thread, there have been several other responses from other users now that seem to show that a majority really would like an option for the sticky filters, but there haven't really been any other such responses from people like Melissa, thats why I was asking.

I have mail notification on, so I get just about every reply to this thread, so no worries, I've read all of them =)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 21, 2010 3:08 AM   in reply to Jasonized

Jasonized wrote:

But if you try and discuss things and use the wrong words, it all gets very confusing. 

Speaking of wrong words,  I hope there are software engineers working on LR and not rocket scientists!

Oh come now!  Even rocket scientists need part time work!

With NASA budget cuts that may well be true!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2010 9:31 PM   in reply to HolgerMC

seanb99 wrote:

I think anyone who's promoting a different workflow here that doesn't benefit from sticky folders is sort of missing the point. In this case it happens to be sticky filters that have been taken away in the upgrade. Who's to say that a feature that you rely on won't disappear in the next release? It's the principle of losing an option that is the issue here.

I don't have a problem with it being an option, and even having that set to default off, but not being able to use a feature that I relied on reduces my trust in the overall product. I'll be reluctant to upgrade next time round in case I lose something else I find useful.

So true!

Agreed, BRING THEM BACK!!!  Almost every folder I have photos set as reject and I rarely want to see those.  Everytime I quit and re-enter LR, I see those again.  Definately a terrible downgrade that needs to be fixed ASAP.  At least give us an OPTION to turn on - don't force this behavior down our throat because some people couldn't find their photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2010 8:21 PM   in reply to jeffhatz

This is my first time posting here because this is the first thing to get me annoyed enough to speak up.

ALL good user interface design is a matter of understanding 1) what is the user trying to do? 2) what is their workflow? 3) how can you make it easy. Lightroom is a wonderful piece of software because the designers clearly understood 1 + 2 and did a really good job on 3.

Here's what I want to do:  Nothing Fancy At All. I shoot pictures. I want to create exactly one collection of 'keepers' for each set of photos, which I do by flagging photos. Sometimes if I shoot a lot of pictures I might define a 'keeper' as flagged with at least 2 stars.  That's all I want to do. Really, really, really, really, simple.

Before this ill-considered change, it was really really really really easy to do this. Flag some photos. Assign some stars. Set the filter criteria to 'flagged' and maybe to '2 stars or better'. DONE. I loved it.  Simple needs, simple workflow, very very very easy and very very very intuitive.

Now, after the change:

After I take my photos I have to create a smart collection, which means I basically have to write a database query. This is where things start getting really hard. There isn't an easy way to say 'everything in this folder' in my database query. I guess I could write my database query to include the folder name... oh wait, if I rename my folder then my database query is no longer up to date and I have to go and rewrite my query. What about using the date when I took the pictures? Well maybe... but what if I take two different sets of pictures on the same day? I guess that doesn't work so well, at least not all the time. What about keywords? I guess I could assign a keyword to every set of pictures.  Of course, the set of keywords will get large so I'll have to create a hierarchy of keywords.

What could be simpler? All I have to do is to manage a hierarchy of keywords, a hierarchy of smart collections, and keep them all in sync. And modify my database query when I want to change what I'm looking at.

Old workflow: Click on 'Show Flagged'. Done.

New workflow: Select all my photos. Create a keyword in a hierarchy, something like '2010-07-24 Univeristy of Chicago > 2010' to match my folder name '2010/201-07-24 University of Chicago'. Apply it to all my photos. Create a smart collection, add '2010-07-24 University of Chicago' and 'Flagged' to my database query. Done.

I am overjoyed that you have made my life so much simpler and astonished at how much easier you've made my workflow.

Do you understand what I'm trying to do? Evidently not. Do you understand my workflow? Evidently not. Have you made it easy? Absolutely positively in no uncertain terms, unambiguously and clearly NO.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2010 8:49 PM   in reply to HolgerMC

Yes, please bring it back or as a preference.  Please do not leave it out.  I too thought it was a bug too, until I discovered this thread. 

Thanks for listening Adobe!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2010 1:22 AM   in reply to adventure_photo

I guess there is no quick solution here. If Adobe are going to do it it will be in version 3.1.

I am not going to change my workflow.

I am holding off purchasing the upgrade untill this is re instated.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2010 6:59 AM   in reply to jeffhatz

I think I understand where Adobe is coming from and I think I can suggest a solution that addresses the underlying problem they were trying to fix and that I would be happy with. I also have some feedback on how to make Smart Collections a bit less clunky.

I think the biggest issue that Adobe was addressing was the 'Library Filter' that shows up at the top of the page and which allows you to create very complex selection criteria. The issue seems to have been that it confused people; they would forget that the library filter was set for a folder and then be unable to find photos they knew were there.

I don't need the super-complicated library filter at the top of the page to be sticky. I need the super-simple filter on the filmstrip to be sticky. In fact, all I need to be sticky are selection based on flags and stars. If I want to create a permanent collection based on focal length or ISO, sure, I'll go ahead and create a smart collection for that. But I have never, ever, eve had to do that.

The library filter created problems because its often/usually hidden. This is not true of the filmstrip filter, which is always in your face.

Now, onto the topic if Smart Collections. If Adobe is totally in love with their Smart Collections Hammer and sees nothing but a world full of nails, they really need to make them be less awful. The biggest issue is that its very difficult to set them up if your starting point is a folder or collection of folders with, say, photos from a single trip, event, shoot, or whatever. You can't (as far as I can tell) just say "Create a smart collection containing the contents of this folder or group of folders'. You have to go into the smart collection and create a query based on folder names, something like "Folder contains all 2010 Vacation". This is bit clunky, to say the least. Furthermore, its fragile because, if you move a folder, the smart collections it depends on will break.

You really need a way to easily define a smart collection based on a collection of folders.

In addition, smart collections don't nest. You can't create hierarchies of smart collections. Defining a smart collection based on another collection (smart or otherwise) is broken and simply doesn't work. You really need some notion of 'smart collection groups' where you can create a smart collection and then create sub-collections within it. Mind you I'm not asking for this; what I'm asking for is to have my sticky filters back. BUT, if you're going to FORCE me to use your hammer, you need to FIX IT because, frankly, right now its cumbersome, hard to use, and buggy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 10:47 AM   in reply to NeillaLeafcull

While this is being looked at (fixed!) I'd love adobe to look at the similar issue with the "show photos in subfolders".

It's easy to leave this unchecked then wonder where all your pictures have gone when they're in sube folders of the currently viewed folder. That was the reason Adobe gave for changin the behaviour of filters.

Ideally for me adobe would create a keyboard shortcut to turn this option on and off because I use it a lot!

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 12:39 PM   in reply to mei!

Just found this thread, and add me to the list of people who thought I was doing something wrong until I discovered it was changed. Not sure why, and I totally agree - how hard would it be to add this as a user option?

I shoot weddings and am often working on thousands of images at a time, so my workflow has developed around LR 1 &2,. and the fact that if I set up a filter it would be there when I returned to that folder or collection.

Please restore this for us!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 8:37 PM   in reply to HolgerMC

Bring my persistent filters back !

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 9:01 PM   in reply to renambot

Duly noted:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2010/08/a-sticky-topic.html

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

Lightroom, Camera Raw and DNG Product Manager

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 9:13 PM   in reply to Tom Hogarty

Tom Hogarty wrote:

Duly noted:

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

A round of applause from me, for listening to your users.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 9:45 PM   in reply to Tom Hogarty

Thank you, Tom!  And thanks to your whole team for listening and responding to us whiners.  We are very appreciative of your efforts and very glad to have our sitckies back.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 9:48 PM   in reply to HolgerMC

Yes, it works again !  Thanks guys.

Luc

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 10:45 PM   in reply to Tom Hogarty

Thanks Tom!

Just what we needed!

And now hopefully, this thread will die a graceful death!

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 11:19 PM   in reply to Lee Jay-ZyZk56

I don't see a "lock filters" choice under the Filter menu. Is there an update out for this? I don't see an available update, so I must be missing something.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 11:40 PM   in reply to Mark Lydell

uhm... I would gather, from his position with Adobe, that  he means "in the next dot release", of which we are all waiting with baited breath for...

Some of us (with memory problems) more than others, I gather!

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 11:53 PM   in reply to renambot

renambot wrote:

Yes, it works again !  Thanks guys.

Luc

Jason - this post is what confused me. I first assumed that was what he meant. i.e. that it would be out in the next update. but his instructions were pretty specific and this person wrote that they work again, which makes it sound like there was a way to get them working again.

Still wondering if I missed something, but it's late, and I guess I'm just tired. I'll be looking for the next update unless someone can point me to where it's active now.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2010 11:58 PM   in reply to Mark Lydell

Ah yes... I can see that!

I read that post to mean: "it works again (in the next release)!", as there is no way they could have modified my LR on my machine without my knowledge. :}  Well, at least that I know of... hmm.....  And I'm sure (given the length of comments on this topic) that _SOMEONE_ would have posted how to get to it if it actually existed in this release... (there are enough snarky people on here!)

Off to bed, tired people make editing mistakes!  (What, the cat wasn't purple?)

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 12:04 AM   in reply to Jasonized

The "Locked Filters" function is available in Lightroom 3.2 RC which is now available for download from the Adobe Labs site.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 12:18 AM   in reply to Michael Rainwater

Hey Michael...

That's interesting!  Must be doing something wrong, because I don't see it anywhere.  And I also have to ask, why 3.2RC, when 3.1 isn't out yet?

Any pointers to where it is on the adobelabs site?

Thanks...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 12:22 AM   in reply to Jasonized

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 12:24 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Thanks Keith!   Just found the other thread, too...

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 12:26 AM   in reply to Jasonized

"Other thread"?

Rats! I've spent the last ten minutes tracking 3.2 RC down!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 10:33 AM   in reply to Tom Hogarty

Tom Hogarty wrote:

Duly noted:

Regards,

Tom Hogarty

Thanks to you Tom, ... and the entire LR Team ... your efforts are appreciated ....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 11:56 AM   in reply to Butch_M

Just beware - its intended for leaving in one mode or the other - if you switch "Remember filter settings for each folder" off and then switch it back on, all your previously defined folder filters are now unrecoverably in the bit bucket. I wish it were both instead of either/or, but at least those who only wanted it back the old way can now rest in peace, so to speak, without having the same backlash from those who preferred the 3.b-0 way. So, mission accomplished, although I liked my idea of being able to have it both ways better.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 12:00 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Hey Rob,

I'm happy enough I got it back.. And relativley quickly, too!  So, no complaints from me.

Maybe they'll revisit your request in the future, but for now, let's let them concentrate on *bugs* for awhile! 

Cheers!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 10, 2010 1:11 PM   in reply to Jasonized

Jasonized wrote:

Maybe they'll revisit your request in the future, but for now, let's let them concentrate on *bugs* for awhile! 

I've been trying to keep my mouth shut as much as possible lately, but its very hard for me...

Definitely "bug fixes over new features" for now...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 4:20 AM   in reply to HolgerMC

Any news? I didn't see anything of the kind mentioned in the RC changelog. Should't we petition or something?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2010 4:31 AM   in reply to Elenhil

They are back - look here:

File Menu -> Library Filters.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...