Skip navigation
desktop question
Currently Being Moderated

how can I move elements program from desktop to root directory?

Jun 14, 2010 11:51 AM

Can I move the elements program from my desktop to the root directory? After the free trial with elements, I paid for it and kept the software but it is installed on my desktop and I don't know how to move it. Do I have to uninstall and reinstall? Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 14, 2010 12:26 PM   in reply to desktop question

if its installed then it'll typically be in c:\program files\adobe\photoshop elements...

the file on your desktop will be the 'kit' you downloaded & installed from, as such you can move that somewhere else, eg create a "my kits" directory in your documents folder, and back it up onto a cd/dvd etc

hope that helps

jim

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2010 12:46 PM   in reply to desktop question

Can I move the elements program from my desktop to the root directory? After the free trial with elements, I paid for it and kept the software but it is installed on my desktop and I don't know how to move it. Do I have to uninstall and reinstall? Thanks.

Are you sure the program is installed on your "Desktop" (which would be highly unsusual)? Or is it just an icon that is on your "Desktop"? And why would you want it in your root directory anyway?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2010 1:31 PM   in reply to desktop question

Is the Photoshop Elements icon on your desktop a shortcut, or not? If it is a shortcut, please right-click on it, select Properties, and paste here the value next to Target.

In the folder on your desktop named Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, is there a setup.exe file in there? Or is there some other .exe files (if so, please provide the exact name of the .exe file)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2010 2:40 PM   in reply to desktop question

Before we can tell you what to do, we must know the details of what is on your desktop and in the folder.

When I ask for specific pieces of information, it is because I can't give you advice unless I know exactly EXACTLY EXACTLY what your situation is.

And so, when I ask specific questions, and don't get the answers to those questions, I can't help. I need the details to the questions I asked.

So, would you please be kind enough to read my questions again, and provide me with the exact details that I asked for? If not, I can't help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2010 4:54 PM   in reply to desktop question

You can safely remove these items from the desktop. Doing so will not delete Photoshop Elements, and you can still run the program by clicking on the Start Menu, go to Prorgams

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 12:47 PM   in reply to desktop question

You can find the actual PSE program files in "C:/" > "Program files" > "Adobe" > "Photoshop Elements 8". This is the default installation location, which I doubt you changed during the install. The file in your desktop folder "Setup.exe" is the giveaway that this is the program installer package not the program.

Burn the desktop package to a DVD, then place it in the "Recycle Bin", then launch the program just to verify / reassure yourself that this is so.

Using the file path above (1st sentence), go into the PSE program file folder and look for a blue square icon that says, "PhotoshopElementsOrganizer". Right click on it, then choose, "Create Shortcut" from the flyout menu. An icon will appear in the files listing that says, "Shortcut to Photoshop Elements Organizer". It should appear as the last entry in the files list. Then, cut and paste this new icon to your desktop. You should then be able to launch PSE with this new shortcut icon, and PSE will start in the Organizer, instead of all the BS advertising.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2010 2:16 PM   in reply to desktop question

I made a small error in the shortcut sequence, nothing critical. When you click on "create shortcut" in the flyout menu, Windows will give you the message, "Windows cannot create a shortcut here, would you like to create it on the desktop", obviously, click "yes".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points