Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS4 and Windows 7 64-bit

Jun 16, 2010 10:16 AM

I have CS4 Design Premium and am looking at buying a new computer that will have Windows 7 64-bit.  My problem is that I can't seem to get a straight answer about whether or not it's compatible.

I called Adobe support and asked him directly and he said no, CS4 will not work on Windows 7 64-bit.  After a little more digging I suspect that he was doing what sales people do and was trying to up-sell me to CS5.  I'd rather not do that if I can avoid it, a new computer is expensive enough by itself.  I searched these forums 10 or 12 pages deep and I've seen a few threads about this very thing, some people are having trouble here and there and others got it resolved and it's working fine.

Seeing that some people got it working gives me hope, but I don't want to go through a troubleshooting nightmare either.

Can someone here set the record straight please?

I appreciate any help I can get

Thanks,

jay e

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 16, 2010 10:22 AM   in reply to jayae0607

For the record and on behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated, let me assure you that CS4 Design Premium does indeed install and work on Windows 7 64-bit. That's exactly the environment that I've personally been using for my systems here at Adobe prior to the release of CS5. I also apologize for the ignorant response given by Adobe Support. The response you received was certainly not what Adobe Support personnel are instructed to give!

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 12:17 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

For the record, I have Adobe CS4 Web Premium and it is working fine on Windows 7. However, I can no longer find support on line for CS4. I paid hundreds of dollars for something for which I can nolonger gt support? That is uncalled for.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 4:26 PM   in reply to jshaw42

The only free support Adobe provides is for installation. If you have any other problems you'll either need to pay for support or visit the appropriate user to user forum and post your question there.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 4:32 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

What I want is not support, per se. I only want what is included with the program. When I click on the "help" button, I expect to go to the help section. A question as simple as how does one find and use the fill tool in Photoshop should be answered in help. Every other application I use does this.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 4:34 PM   in reply to jshaw42

Are you saying when you click help, nothing happens?

Does this happen in every program or just Photoshop?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 4:42 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

What I am saying is that whatever application in CS4 I am using, if I click on the help button, I am taken to the CS5 web page to a section that does not answer my question.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 5:50 PM   in reply to jshaw42

That's odd. I have CS3 4 and 5 installed and they all go to the correct help. That said in the lower right corner you should see this:

Capture.PNG

Just pick the right one.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 17, 2010 5:52 PM   in reply to jshaw42

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 6:30 AM   in reply to Steve Cohen

I get the CS4 page you are showing. However, when I do a search for "fill tool" all the answers are about CS5 "fill bucket".

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to jshaw42

There is a small check box there to return results on CS4 only.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 8:15 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Found the check box, THANKS!!! You guys have made me a believer again.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 18, 2010 8:42 AM   in reply to jshaw42

Glad you got it sorted.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Dov, could you post whether this information continues to be correct - that CS4 can be installed and operate on Windows 7?

I had a hard drive crash in August and have been trying to reinstall CS4 on my new hard drive so far without success.

Thank you!

Jerry.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to waxydc

I ran CS4 for quite some time on Win 7 64 bit.

Perhaps some details on the problems you're having will help us help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to waxydc

Although CS4 is now four versions back in terms of Adobe software, there was nothing done in any of the CS4 updates or as far as we know in the Windows 7 updates to break that compatibility.

Exactly what do you mean by “so far without success?” Do you get an error message? Or after installation does the software not run? What type of media are you installing from?

More information as to the symptoms of the failure and maybe either I or others on this forum might better assist you. 

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Thank you very much for your response.  As I mentioned, the reason I wanted to install CS4 was that my computer hard drive crashed.  I now have a new hard drive and am reloading my software programs, including CS4.  CS4 was operating on Windows 7 64-bit prior to the crash, and I have Windows 7 64-bit on my new hard drive as well.  I am not having problems with the reinstall of any other software programs.

I downloaded the CS4 files (with help from Adobe support staff, see Case #0184703337) to my desktop.  Over the last several days I have tried to install the CS4 software numerous times, all without success.  There have not been any error messages.  The install screen prompts me to select the suite programs to be installed, then shows me a "progress" screen.  However, it goes no further.  The only explanation Adobe technicians have offered is that CS4 software was never adapted to Windows 7, and therefore is incompatible.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.  Thank you again.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to waxydc

As Dov has already stated that CS4 is compatible with Windows 7 and it should install and run fine.

There are various component which get installed along with Adobe Softwares hence it will be hard to state where exactly the installation is stopping without actually viewing the logs.

Please share the install logs from the below locations :-

• Windows 32 bit (XP, Vista, 7): \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Installers\

• Windows 64 bit (XP, Vista, 7): \Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers

The log filename includes the product name and install date, followed with ".log.gz." The extension .gz indicates a compressed format.

NOTE :- Place the log file on Pastebin.com and share the link here.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Thank you for the suggestions.  Below are links to 3 log files stored on PASTEBIN (Windows 7, 64-bit).

http://pastebin.com/vRHTZj08 (9-16-13)

http://pastebin.com/sc6jEpgU (9-17-13)

http://pastebin.com/B14p1d6R (9-18-13)

I appreciate your help.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to waxydc

I looked at my Pastebin account and did not see the files I had posted to the site, therefore do not know if they were available to forum participants.  I therefore have reposted the installer log information as requested by Manish-Sharma.  See links below..

http://http://pastebin.com/bPejr7jC

Installer Log File #1

http://http://pastebin.com/3GkXM5Xu

Installer Log File #2

http://http://pastebin.com/K72hFYS7

Installer Log File #3

If you have any difficulty receiving or reading the log information, please let me know.  Thank you.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Manish -

Have you been able to see my postings on the forum re CS4/Windows 7?  Thank you.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to jayae0607

Good afternoon~! It just so happens we've been investigating this issue while researching a Hardware/Operating System Upgrade. What's 'interesting' is that Adobe replies CS4 runs on Windows 7 64bit, but neglects to say what flavor/version, ex: Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate. And the Tech Support Matrix is 'unclear' to me, and searches are somewhat of a dead end too.

My question is: What exact version(Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) are you running, Windows 7 64bit wise? Thanks~!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to Joni B.

It SHOULD run on all of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to Joni B.

At Adobe, we typically use the Professional version, but we know of no good reason why it shouldn't install and work on any of the Windows 7 64-bit versions. The difference, at least for Windows 7, is what “added value” stuff / junk is bundled with the operating system (encryption, domain membership, enhanced media players, etc.), not the basic OS functionality necessary to install and run the software. As far as I know, we have never received reports of InDesign not working on any particular variant of Windows 7 64-bit.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 1:36 AM   in reply to waxydc

Hi Waxydc,

I apologies for delayed response.

I checked the links shared by you and they are in a non-readable text format.

The install logs should be at the location given by me in previous post and are in compressed format with .gz extension.

You need a utility like 7-zip to unzip the content and then you will have the actual text file in human readable form

Please share that those files.

Thanks,

Manish Sharma

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Thank you, Manish (and everyone else who posted).  I copied and pasted the 3 text files unzipped from the 3 gz installer files to pastebin.com.

Additional Info is as follows:

My computer:

Processor - 2.30 GHz 9650 AMD Quad-Core

Ram - 8.00 GB (7.74 GB usable)

Hard Drive Capacity - 452 GB (Used space 134 GB, Free Space 318 GB)

Windows 7

Adobe product:

Adobe CS4 Web Premium 4 (Upgraded from Macromedia Studio 8)

FYI, my CS4 Web Premium 4 was originally installed to Vista (my computer's first OS), and I incurred no problems with it when I replaced Vista with Windows 7.  My problems with CS4 occurred following the crash of my computer hard drive.  When I replaced that hard drive with a new one, I installed Windows 7, MS Office 10, and numerous other programs - without difficulty.  It was upon trying to install CS4 that I encountered the problems that led to my contacting this forum.

Hope this leads to my being able to use CS4, and that whatever we find out can be made available to others.  Thank you again!

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Sorry, Manish, I neglected to send you the 3 new pastebin.com links.  They are:

http://pastebin.com/rcgEAwwL;

http://pastebin.com/hvwNZ7F2; and

http://pastebin.com/7xCPMwDX

Please let me know if you need anything else.  Thank you.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

Thank you very much for the quick response. This is EXACTLY what we needed to know as we move forward with our hardware refresh!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

Manish, Dov and Bob -

I am still hoping that you will be able to offer some guidance on how I can successfully load CS4 on my Windows 7 64 bit desktop.  My pastebin.com page, on which my installer log files are posted, is http://pastebin.com/u/waxydc.  May I hear from you?

Thank you.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to Joni B.

I apologize, Joni.  I overlooked your post until now.  I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Jerry

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points