Skip navigation
IanWAdobe
Currently Being Moderated

Reduce File Size Thwarted by Permissions

Jun 16, 2010 11:41 AM

Hi,

When I open a PDF from my Windows 7 desktop and select Document/Reduce File Size, a window appears displaying this message:

"You do not have sufficient permissions to perform this task. Please change the security settings from the Document Properties dialog and retry."

When I select File/Properties/Security, Security Method is No Security, Can be Opened by: is All Versions of Acrobat, and all other values are Allowed. However, all values are grayed out - I can't change any of them.

I see that other people have encountered this issue, but I don't see a resolution. Can anyone help, please?

I'm on the second day of a 30-day trial with Acrobat Pro.

Thanks, Ian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 28, 2010 1:57 AM   in reply to IanWAdobe

Have you right clicked on the PDF and selected properties to be sure it is not read only? That is all that I can think of right now for AA9. It may also be that you are looking at a file in a folder where you do not have write access, though I would not think this would appear like your are getting in this case.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2010 6:06 AM   in reply to IanWAdobe

I've been having trouble with this for a few days - it turned out I was stuck in PDF/A mode, which disallows most of the advanced functionality.

To switch the PDF/A mode off:

In the Preferences dialog box, under Categories, select Documents.

Choose an option for View Documents in PDF/A Mode.

Choose “never” to switch off PDF/A.

There's more info here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Acrobat/9.0/Standard/WS3E0E8467-B787-4020- A1D3-6BC762A42DF2.w.html

Hope this helps!

Claire

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points