Skip navigation
adobefan1983
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 3 Blur Capabilities

Jun 17, 2010 7:15 PM

Did anybody else notice that Lightroom 3 now allows you to blur images with adjustment brushes set to a negative sharpness? I was actually pretty excited to see this neglected new Gaussian blur effect. I searched the forums for something about this, but came up empty. I've been using the graduated filter and the adjustment brush with a -100 sharpness to simulate shallow depth of field, but today I noticed that the graduated filter doesn't actually make a smooth transition from blurry to sharp - it's a hard edge. That was a little disappointing because if it were gradual (as intended) then it would be just like the "lens blur" in photoshop. Is this just a bug or something?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2010 7:36 PM   in reply to adobefan1983

It is graduated (as intended). The blurring available is so subtle it might appear to end suddenly, but if you put a desaturate at 100% on it you will see

the graduation,

Rich

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 17, 2010 7:42 PM   in reply to adobefan1983

adobefan1983 wrote:

Did anybody else notice that Lightroom 3 now allows you to blur images with adjustment brushes set to a negative sharpness? I was actually pretty excited to see this neglected new Gaussian blur effect. I searched the forums for something about this, but came up empty.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2876885#2876885

Before it was removed, I mentioned this a whole bunch of times in the beta forum.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points