Skip navigation
igloominations
Currently Being Moderated

Issues with Placed tiffs and psd files

Jun 18, 2010 10:26 AM

Hello all,

Working in Illustrator CS4 (Mac). Mac is running Leopard. (Not going to upgrade to SL or CS5 at this time).

I am placing 300 dpi and/or 100 dpi (for low res comps) tiff and psd files into illustrator. When I go to the link palette and double click on the link name to check the images link information, the image is not placing at 100%. It's placing at 72% for the 100 dpi files and 24% for the 300 dpi file. 100 & 300 dpi eps and 100 dpi jpeg files show okay at 100%.

Why are the psd and tiff images not showing at 100% in the link information and what do I need to do to make sure that future placed images always place at 100% of the photoshop file size?

Thank you for any assistance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 18, 2010 10:29 AM   in reply to igloominations

AI thinks all raster art is 72ppi and measures it as such. 300/72 = 24%

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2010 1:05 PM   in reply to igloominations

They are not downsampled; just reported as a percent of the size at 72ppi

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2010 1:17 PM   in reply to Larry G. Schneider

Larry is giving you the facts s they are if you consider the info he is giving you, you will see it clearer if you hang on a while it will come to and make much more sense.

Unfortunately it would be better to have reading the other way or have them both ways so that an image at 100% @ 300ppi is reported as 100%.

However when placing this in a document that will be pixel based for the web you should have the choice of converting the file to 72 ppi at the current dimension or allowing it to be displayed at the default resolution of 72 ppi at full pixel dimension.

Although other users might have different preference. I wonder?

At any rate you should mark Larry's answers as the answer so other who query about this can find it, it comes up so often that marking it would be helpful for other users.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2010 2:06 PM   in reply to igloominations

It does not seem that you are relating to this mechanism.

First you are definitely not using dpi, you are using ppi. There is a big difference in the two, so unless you are clear on this then you will not understand it.

Dpi is dot per inch there are no dots per inch in your file as far as the file size is concerned.

Dpi is the print specification for the coarseness of the print screen.

Ppi is the file dimension in pixels so if it is displayed at 72 ppi as in illustrator but is actually 300 ppi in reality it is being displayed at 24% of the 300 ppi file size at the same print dimension.

This dimension percentage only refers to the display ratio at full dimension to the actual pixel dimesion.

It is just about the presentation in AI that is all there really is to it.

If you want to check that you file is the correct dimension by the correct ppi then look in the document info panel for that for embedded or linked files.

Like such

Screen shot 2010-06-18 at 4.52.44 PM.png

BTW if the psd and the tiff file is the same dimension and resolution then they will display at the same percentage so somthing is wrong if they are not displaying that wy.

I hope this helps

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2010 2:19 PM   in reply to igloominations

Double post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2010 2:30 PM   in reply to igloominations

You're welcome!

BTW I have to admit that i too was very confused by this as well until I visited the Photoshop and Illustrator forum.

So there is good help here.

Gary Newman and James Talmage both had better explanations of this and after rereading their post one day I realize that my thinking was on the press and not on the computer as well as Chris Cox from Adobe on the Photoshop Forum and the late Bruce Fraser as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points