Skip navigation
gsengma
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 3 and EOS 5D

Jun 21, 2010 10:35 AM

I have used Lightroom 2 with all my Canon EOS cameras for some time with no problem. I upgraded to Lightroom 3.0 the other day and now I can't download pictures from my 5D. No problem with the 5D MII and no problem if I take the CF card from the 5D and put it in the 5D MII. What could possiblde be the problem? I'm on a Mac OSX Leopard. Lightroom recognizes the 5D as the source but no thumbnails can be seen and the "import" button is grayed out. Has anyone had the same problem? I'd appreciate some feed back as this is drivning me crazy.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 21, 2010 12:44 PM   in reply to gsengma

Buy a card reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 3:23 PM   in reply to gsengma

It may not be, but unlikely.

R Owens reply, although a bit abrupt, is actually good advice. Card readers don't cost much these days and in general offer some real advantages over downloading from your camera. Consider, as a simple example, what happens if the battery on your camera dies during a download? Since you are on a Mac, do you have FW800 support? If so, get a FW800 reader. The performance improvements alone are worth the $ for the card reader. And you avoid the hassles you are now experiencing with your 5D.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 6:19 PM   in reply to gatorjim2000

gatorjim2000 wrote:

It may not be, but unlikely.

R Owens reply, although a bit abrupt, is actually good advice. Card readers don't cost much these days and in general offer some real advantages over downloading from your camera. Consider, as a simple example, what happens if the battery on your camera dies during a download? Since you are on a Mac, do you have FW800 support? If so, get a FW800 reader. The performance improvements alone are worth the $ for the card reader. And you avoid the hassles you are now experiencing with your 5D.

I would like to second the advice on the Card Reader - or third it as the case may be.  Not only do you run a small risk of having your camera's batteries lose power during download, but I have seen a few stories on other forums where there was a computer malfunction during a camera attached download and the malfunction fried the electronics of the camera- game over.  As well, downloads from the camera consume camera battery power as well.  I have used a card reader on both of my digital cameras - A Rebel XT and a 5D and have never had any problem with image download.  Gatorjim is also right - they are very cheap and consequently cheap insurance against anything happening to your camera during download.  My 0.02¢ worth.

Regards,

WesternGuy

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 10:36 AM   in reply to gsengma

Try setting the USB communication mode to PC connection (communication item in the setup section). This should make your camera behave like a card reader and give Lightroom access to all files. It is a good idea to always use a card reader for speed and reliability issues, but there is no reason why your camera shouldn't work with Lightroom directly. I often hook up my camera directly out in the field (always forget to carry the stupid reader) and I have never had a problem downloading raw files. It's a little slower but works just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 1:25 PM   in reply to gsengma

I haven't had any problems uploading from my 5D but I do use a card reader......

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 3:14 PM   in reply to Jao vdL

I too kept forgetting my card reader when I travel.  I bought a spare one (they are inexpensive) and keep it in my laptop bag.  Now I don't forget it.  :-)

John

John G. Blair Studio

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 3:30 PM   in reply to John Blair

If you can't remember a card reader, how can you remember a USB cable?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 3:48 PM   in reply to Lee Jay-ZyZk56

Forgetting is not the right word I think. It's more like omitting. I

probably have 10 USB cables but only one reader. There is always at

least one USB cable in my camera bags or my laptop bag. Downloading

from the camera works perfectly fine (seriously, I have never in 10's

of thousands of images had a problem from multiple cameras), so there

is no real point in remembering to take the reader except maybe a

little better speed and added convenience of more easily swapping

cards. Therefore, I don't have it on my standard pack list but I

usually grab it when I come across it when packing.

Lastly, I'd rather be out eating and drinking with my companions after

the day of shooting is finished than sitting in a motel room staring

at a computer so I don't put much weight on making the downloading

process ultra comfortable when I am out there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 4:07 PM   in reply to Lee Jay-ZyZk56

Cables are already in camera bags and laptop bags.  Now card reader is too.  :-)

John

John G. Blair Studio

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2010 3:56 AM   in reply to gsengma

I've had the same problem.  The fix appears to be, in the 5D menu, to set Communication to 'PC Connect'.  That works for me.  (Solution found in thread 2137622)

DN

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Aug 4, 2010 6:51 AM   in reply to ut1

Ditto!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 8:42 PM   in reply to dcn

I have the same problem, and my 5D has always been set to PC Connect. As for buying a card reader . . . why should MY camera be the only Canon that Lightroom doesn't read directly from? I can upload the photos using the Eos utility, but then there's a whole 'nother step to convert to DNG that ought not be necessary.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points