Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Firefox crash in Win2k after new Flash version

Jun 21, 2010 9:38 PM

Hi all,

I'm using Win2k on an older PC.

System was OK until updating Flash. (except Flash videos run kind of slow and stuttery

on this old 550MHz PC)

However, with the new version, Firefox just crashes when ever a Flash animation

is encountered.

Any thoughts on this?  One thing that occurred to me is that my CPU does not

support SSE extensions, it's too old.  Could that be the issue ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2010 12:47 AM   in reply to davexnet

I am typing this on a rather old PC with Windows 2000, Firefox 3.6, and Flash Player 10.1.53.64 - all works very nicely here.

Try to

• disable hardware acceleration (Flash Player Settings, Display panel);
    • update the device drivers of your graphics/video/display adapter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 6:01 PM   in reply to davexnet

davexnet wrote:

Thanks for the info - where do you turn off acceleration globally?  I was unable to find a setting.

It's a local setting - right-click on any Flash object, then select Settings...

davexnet wrote:

Is Flash issuing an SSE instruction on a non-supported CPU?

Sorry, I don't have the answer to that question.  This is a user-to-user forum, and naturally our technical knowledge is limited.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2010 9:24 PM   in reply to davexnet

davexnet wrote:

I tried the operation in IE6 instead of Firefox.   I got a little more info.

It crashed with an "illegal instruction", 0xc000001d.  I ask again:

Is Flash issuing an SSE instruction on a non-supported CPU?

Do you have the crashdumps?  I could run WinDbg on it and find out for you. By default, Dr. Watson on Windows 2000 will generate them. Type drwtsn32 in Run and you will see the paths. Or you can also send me the log file you can view from there

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 12:01 PM   in reply to davexnet

Sorry, I forgot Firefox's crash reporting. Can you type about:crashes into the address bar and get the most recent report ID?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2010 5:27 PM   in reply to davexnet

Reproduce the problem again, and when you see this dialog, click Cancel, that will invoke Dr. Watson.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 6:52 AM   in reply to davexnet

I too have an old cpu, Athlon Thunderbird. Mine does not support SSE instructions. FWIW I did see in release notes somewhere that the flash update is intended to work with Athlons as slow as 600 MHz (no mention of SSE; there were two classes of Athlon's but I don't know if any non-SSE ones were made as slow as 600 MHz)

I use XP. I've have problems with the latest Firefox plugin and playback on some video sites. Instead of playing at one size it sometimes goes into a frenzy of bouncing between proper size and smaller. http://picasaweb.google.com/sherip99/Flash_updt_vs_firefox#

The troubleshooting help I got on this forum didn't help, so I've been switching to the previous version of the Firefox plugin when I want to view problematic sites.

Regards,

Sheri

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2010 9:31 AM   in reply to davexnet

I too saw the same behavior with the older plugin version at youtube, but only with some videos. With the new plugin, I get the behavior at additional sites I frequent (such as zaplive.tv) that worked with the older plugin version. Surprisingly, both at youtube and these other sites, I did/do not get the behavior with old or new versions in ie 8.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 12:01 AM   in reply to davexnet

Did you try to reproduce this again, as I asked?    

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 11:04 AM   in reply to davexnet

When you see this dialog, click Cancel to invoke the debugger which is by default Dr. Watson. You likely clicked OK which as described in the dialog just terminated the application:

"IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error : The exception Illegal Instruction
    An  attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction.
    (0xc000001d)  occurred in the application at location 0x05a62d77.

Click on OK  to terminate the program
    Click on CANCEL to debug the program"

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 3:45 PM   in reply to davexnet

Usually, when this is logged to the event log, a similar dialog was also displayed. This is the dialog I am referring to. Reproduce the problem, and when you see this dialog, click the Cancel button instead of the OK button.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 4:23 PM   in reply to davexnet

Oh, you have Visual C++ installed. Which version are you using? Did you record what instruction the debugger was pointing at? If it is DB XXh, give me the next few lines.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 4:50 PM   in reply to davexnet

Yes, thank you.    

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 5:55 PM   in reply to davexnet

Didn't work. Try the insert image option on the toolbar.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 6:18 PM   in reply to davexnet

Can you open up the Register and Call Stack windows and take another screenshot? Double-click the first line in the Call Stack window. Because screenshot points to add esp instruction after call.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 6:40 PM   in reply to davexnet

Seems like the Insert Image didn't work. Send it to me as email and be sure to include Call Stack window as well.    

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 7:58 PM   in reply to yuhong

It looks like the problem is that does not look like the disassembly window is scrolled to the right address. Can you right-click in the disassembly window and click Show Next Statement, and then ensure the address displayed is equal to the value of EIP shown in Register window. Then take screenshot of that with Call Stack and Register window so I can verify     .   

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 8:28 PM   in reply to yuhong

Looks like it is the CMOV instruction. I may file a bug attaching your zip as evidence. Is that OK?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 8:42 PM   in reply to yuhong

Ok, bug filed as FP-4940 in the bug database. Adobe people please take a look.    

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 11, 2010 2:42 PM   in reply to davexnet

Adobe just released a new build of Flash Player. Can you test with this version and see if it is fixed?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points